“Nice rooms, but could do better” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn London - Elstree

Holiday Inn London - Elstree
Ranked #613 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Nice rooms, but could do better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

My family and I booked at this Holiday Inn for two nights. We booked because they have interconnecting doors between rooms and we could therefore have the children in one room and me and my husband in the other. This was a massive bonus (other hotels PLEASE take note that families really need this facility).
The rooms were clean and comfortable.The hotel pillows featured a promise to change pilliows from standard foam (which I hate) to a choice of feather and down pillows - Great! What a shame then that when this was requested, the spare pillows were "all in use" Come on people, you're running a hotel! Pillows are part of the deal, and if you offer a facility you should plan to be able to honour it.
The bathrooms were clean and there were plenty of towels.
Room service was ruiniously expensive which I could have tolerated were it not for the fact that the Club sandwiches were dreadful. Bitter rocket instead of a crisp clean lettuce, hardboiled egg (?) - the comination of egg and rocket made the sandwich taste fishy - and dry - no mayonnaise or other ingrediant to make it palatable.
Breakfast on the first morning was freshly cooked for us as we were thre first in the restaurant and the poached egg was perfect. The staff were very friendly and helpful. However, the pastries were rather stale and the berries to put on top of cereal etc were obviously defrosted, were very cold and very tart indeed. A compote needs to be cooked down fruit with some sugar added.
The next morning the food was all out in a buffet - the bacon and sausage were good, but the black pudding inedible. The coffee / chocolate machine (Yes machine, NOT fresh) needed refilling and it was quite a wait before i got my hot drink. Staff toady were rather curt when asked several times for assistance. Pastries were stale again.
Advice: A filter coffe maker, with staff to go round tables replenishing drinks would be great.
Better provenance of food items.
Hotel has a great little swimming pool which the children enjoyed, and check out was very speedy and helpful. The staff on the desk were very polite.
SO - a pleasant stay but in no way outstanding.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear Guest
I would like to thank you for posting this comprehensive review of our hotel onto Trip Advisor following your recent stay.

I have noted your constructive comments, both the positive ones and the not so positive and will certainly communicate this to the relevant managers and add this to our usual practice of using such information to improve the service we offer to all of our guests.

I agree that breakfast is the one of the most important elements of your stay and will review the points you have raised regarding the food and the service with both the Head Chef and the F&B Manager. Our coffee machine grinds whole beans as it produces each serving with the aim of eliminating the filter coffee issue where a flask left for more than a few minutes can taste stale. However, there is no excuse for you having to wait longer than necessary for the machine to be topped up and I apologise for this.

Please also accept my apologies for the lack of your choice of feather pillows. Our Housekeeper will review our stocks and purchase more as required so we should not encounter this issue in the future.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next visiting the area. If there is anything else you would like to discuss please contact me directly or my Operations Manager at the hotel.

Kevin Fraser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Polish first
leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

Pros:
1. Free parking with plenty of spaces
2: bar staff were very friendly and outstanding service
3: quality of food very good
4: the hotel was very clean
5: sky sports in lobby
6: quick check in/out
7: comfy bed

Cons:
1. 1940 s furniture in rooms that is dark and looks like off the antique roadshow
2. Old style tv in room with a remote that old the numbers had rubbed off
3. Sky sports meant to be channel 7 but was not on the tv s
4. Poor toilet flush mechanism
5. Room was stuffy but the air con was very noisy so you could not sleep with it on
6 poor room service as the person could not speak very good English and I did not understand him
7: need more snacks on the 24 hour list as the only hot choices are curry/Thai or pizza.
8: very noisy maids banging all the
doors at 9am. No chance of a lie in
9: in 2012 surely all wifi should be free ??

• Stayed December 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rach_888
Dear Guest
I would like to thank you for posting your review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on Trip Advisor following your recsnt stay.

I have noted your constructive feedback, both the pros and the cons and will certainly add this to our usual practice of using such information to improve the service we offer to all of our guests.

I will pass your notes reference the sevice element of your stay on to the relvant managers so they may review these points with their teams and put action plans in place for improvement or offer praise where it is due.

We do have a ongoing programme of maintenance in our guest rooms and I will take your comments regarding the product we offer on board.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,111 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

Stayed here a couple of times now nice food, great little gym and pool. It's a real nice place to say !!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank RobsterWirral
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 15 December 2011
Dear Guest
I was delighted to read your positive review about this hotel on the Trip Advisor website. Thank you for taking the time and trouble post your comments and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.

I will certainly share your feedback with the rest of the hotel team who all work very hard to ensure that every guest experience is comfortable and enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn London Elstree in the furture, in the meantime Season's Greetings and my best wishes for a prosperous new year!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

We only stayed one night but whenever we went to the reception, staff appeared from nowhere to help with any added numbers, same with the bar. They were helpful, plesent, effective and despite one young lady finishing at midnight and starting at 6am she wore just the same smile, credit to her (How she does that I don’t know)

Our room was excellent, I could not fault it, I had a fantastic sleep in a glorious bed.

One major Tip, I would not put you off this hotel at all but be careful with the breakfast. I’ve stayed with Holiday Inn many times in the past, one of the major attractions being the breakfast, it’s all changed.

I was at the reception to order a cab in the evening and someone next to me asked to buy 2 breakfasts coupons for the morning. This was weird, surly this doesn’t apply to me as I‘m a guest, the only time I’ve bought Breakfast coupons were at Greasy Steve’s Café and Haven Holidays. I enquired and apparently I had to pay £15 now for a coupon for 2 or (I think) £13.95 each in the morning if I wanted breakfast. This wasn’t mentioned whilst booking and it wasn’t mentioned whilst checking in. We paid the extra £15 and it wasn’t worth it anyway.

Top tip: If your room doesn’t include breakfast go to a Greasy Steve’s Café or, if you think you had breakfast included and they try to charge you £13.95 a head, it’s not worth it, don’t just think ’what the hell I’m here now, find a Café in Borehamwood and pay £4.50 each.

Otherwise: Stay here, highly recommended, nice people in a nice venue and nice rooms. Just make sure you are clued up before breakfast.

Room Tip: can't help here too much but we were at the rear and the front faces the A1 so I'd say go fo...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at this hotel.

The positive comments you left were a pleasure to read, particularly the ones regarding our team members, I believe I know which lady you are referring to and will make sure she is aware of how impressed you were. I will share all of your review with the whole team as it is encouraging for them to get to know when they get things right, they work so hard to acheive this.

Please accept my sincere apologies that reception did not fully explain your options for breakfast upon your arrival, I will take steps to ensure this does not happen again. We offer a choice of room only and breakfast inclusive rates and make the option of purchasing breakfast vouchers available to people who have chosen room only. Our reason for making it cheaper to purchase a voucher on arrival is so that chef can know how many he is catering for and therefore maintain his standards. £15.00 for a couple (£7.50 each) I think represents very good value for an 'all you can eat' hot and cold buffet breakfast particularly in comparison with the other 4 star hotels in the area. Of course, the option of staying on a room only basis gives our guests the full option of going out to eat if they wish.

Once again, thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide your constructive feedback, it is always interesting to read our reveiws and they are a useful way of helping us improve the service we offer to all of our guests.

If there is any way I may be of assistance to you or if you would like to discuss your reveiw in more detail please do not hesitate to contact either myself or my Operations Manager, Shae Walmsley directly.

Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

We stayed at The Holiday Inn Elstree as part of a London weekend theatre break with a coach party. We expected the usual coach tour second class hotel but was pleasantly surprised at what we got. This hotel is first class and we would recommend it to anyone who seeks a good hotel at a reasonable price.The rooms were very clean warm and comfortable, the bathroom well appointed but as it is in close proximity to a busy road it could be a little noisy if windows were opened.The buffet breakfast offered a variety of different foods to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters and the only criticism is that it could have been a little hotter but nevertheless was enjoyable.We had an evening meal in the hotel which was a buffet carvery and once again this was superb.There was a large choice of options including Gammon, spicy chicken, shepherds pie and salmon plus potatoes and vegetables this was a three course meal with a starter of soup and a sweet afterwards.The hotel boasts a swimming pool and fitness centre where you can burn off all those extra calories after over indulging on the superb meals.We found all the staff welcoming and obliging and would like through this review to thank them all for their hospitality and professionalism.In conclusion this is a superb outer London hotel so if anyone reading this is about to visit London get it booked quick as it is very popular.

Room Tip: Rooms away from road side quieter
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank G D
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 18 November 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving you review on trip advisor following your recent weekend stay with us.

I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay and I will certainly pass on your thanks to the rest of the hotel team, they work very hard to ensure that guests have an enjoyable experience at the hotel and it is encouraging for them when they get positive feedback. I will also let the chefs know that you enjoyed your meals.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn London-Elstree in the future.

Yours sinceely
Kevin Fraser
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
0.0 km away
Ramada London Finchley
#659 of 1,089 in London
1.1 km away
Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood

Been to Holiday Inn London - Elstree? Share your experiences!