“Disappointing”
Review of The Sekforde Arms

The Sekforde Arms
Ranked #734 of 1,331 Nightlife in London
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Our group of former work colleagues used to meet here for an afternoon catch - up from time to time. Copious amounts of well kept real ales soaked up by cheap and cheerful pub grub - an ideal place for a session.

We were very sorry that the pub closed down so on learning that it had recently reopened I popped in to see what had changed.

The most radical change appears to be the creation of a restaurant in the basement. the menu consists of typical gastro pub fare at very reasonable prices. The wine list appears to be 100% French with bottles starting at £28.

The changes in the bar area seemed mainly to consist of replacing the tired old wooden tables and chairs with modern versions. The upholstered bench seating near the fireplace has gone, replaced by said wooden furniture. It's all a little bland although comfortable enough.

There is a bar menu (which doesn't feature standard pub grub) consisting mainly of a variety of burgers and chips, and baguettes/ciabattas and chips. There are plenty of veggie options. Prices seem pretty good although are currently discounted as it's a new menu. I didn't sample the food although based on early reviews I'm sure it will be fine.

The main negative though is that there is now only one hand pump available serving real ale. The ale on offer is Sharps Doombar. It strikes me that if you are only going to offer only one real ale it would have made more sense to use it as a showcase for the numerous small breweries in London.

If you don't like Doombar, or if it runs out, there are several craft ales on tap. Most of these are 5% ABV or more so not really session beers. Maybe they don't want to attract that sort of custom.

Whilst I'm pleased to see the pub brought back to life and hope it succeeds, I left feeling rather underwhelmed.

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

To this lovely refurbished late Georgian pub to meet friends. The bar was buzzing, with people mostly in their 20s and 30s, having lively conversations and spilling out onto the street ( I’m afraid we raised the age demographic a little). My house red was very drinkable and came in a huge glass. But the secret heart is downstairs ( marked only by a sign for the loos) where the walls are exposed brick and the feel is very like the Captain’s Galley ice house ( both are warm and dark as well as beautiful!). There the Sekforde has a restaurant, new, not advertised, only just opened. The food was very good indeed, fritto misto with a very garlicky aoli was good but the least of it, perfectly cooked cod ( another similarity with the Captains Galley, fish at a perfect temperature) and utterly delicious panna cotta. Minor glitches - the staff were charming but inexperienced, the white wine would have benefitted from an ice bucket, but these are tiny fixable things which will I am sure be fixed soon. This fabulous free house is a 7 minute walk from Farringdon, not advertising and the restaurant is not obvious, but don’t let any of that put you off, Go and enjoy:-))

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

We met some friends here for a drink and dinner, having heard that it has re-opened under new ownership after a lengthy refurbishment. We were delighted: the pub itself is buzzy with a good range of drinks. The restaurant is small, nestling in the basement, bafflingly marked only by a sign saying “toilets”. But once seated we were treated to a fine meal. I had Frito misto, delicious small battered seafoods with mayonnaise, followed by delightfully crisp pork belly with black pudding potato and apple compote. Everyone at the table expressed themselves pleased , and the house wine, which I have to say, flowed freely, was a good match for our food. There were a few teething troubles, eg the loos were a bit lacking in hand drying equipment, the waiter, otherwise efficient and unobtrusive, forgot to bring knives with the cheese platter, but these will I am sure be ironed out soon enough. This is a place not to be missed.