“It's a Shocker”

Ranked #1,024 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“It's a Shocker”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

The hotel, if you can call it that, is most definately not 4 Star. I have just been reading some of the glowing reviews that are shown here and I cannot believe that these people stayed in the same hotel as me.

The reception was shambolic, the staff did not have a clue, the lights didn't work, the handyman shorted the lights, the room stank of damp, the bathroom was a disgrace and the raising of any complaint was met by complete indifference and a sort of surly aggression.

I stay in hotels a lot for work in various parts of the country and I can honestly say hand on heart that this place is shockingly bad. In fact it is so bad I have been motivated to write this review.

It might even be worth checking the source of some of these other reviews as it is so contradictor to my experience.

I can live with the odd quirk or slight annoyance but this place is truly dreadful.

2 Thank Malcolm M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Didn't read the reviews before... And I must say my stay was acceptable at the rate I got the hotel for. It might be down to luck - or appearance? The room I got was no worse than other cheap london "4-stars" (this is London after all). Not at all boutique - but not the horror described.

As the rate was the same as a 2* I can't say I'm unhappy about it, and the location is brilliant. If I knew I'd get the same room again I would recommend it or go back. But as it seems to be something of a lottery, I'm not keen on recommending the place...

As people noted, it seems to be a hostel being renovated, and not at all an hotel. (When I was there the whole hotel seemed to be shut down except the top floor or two?). Either that or a scam. But then, why would Topham put their reputation at risk? Weird... an explanation for this "hotel" would sure be interesting...

chester
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I dont normally write reviews but I do feel the need to review this place...I work as a therapist in a hotel myself and I've been lucky enough to have stayed in some of the most luxury hotels around the world (granted ive stayed in cheapo ones too) soooo i was initially very worried about staying here as we'd booked without reading reviews first. Me and mum booked it as my dad was paying for us to go shopping and see some shows in london. Well, I had a very pleasant surprise! The hotel is in a fab location near victoria station and close proximity to to lots of attractions. Our room (mews 3) was lovely and clean, modern, with an oversized bath and walk in shower, nice telly, tea and coffee making facilities, complimentary safe and a fridge. The staff were lovely and very helpful at all times. Maybe we were just lucky? But sometimes its just a case of treating others as you would wish to be treated yourself.. if you want a clean and friendly place to stay for a good rate in london, then dont be put off by negative reviews and book :0)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Firstly you arrive at the door only to find a sign to tell you to go down the street to check-in. I was shown to a room with only one working light (a 40w bedside light) and that was not bright enough to see around the room.
I then walked back to reception down the street for a room change. A brighter room this time, but the light only highlighted the filthy state of the carpets and the smell of mould was pungent. Noise from other rooms was dreadful - 3 entrance doors were next to each other and it sounded like someone was trying to get into your room (at mignight, 2am and 6am).
But saving the worst to last, halfway through my shower the water went off and there was no water in either the shower or the taps. A mere apology at reception and a note in their book, no thought to offering me the opportunity of finishing my shower in another room - they were just happy to let me go on with my day without thought of offering me anything in return.
Overall my worst stay in London in a long time. I shall have this hotel removed from our corportate booking site.

1 Thank Paul_from_pont
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Great location but that is all to expect.
This hotel was scruffy smelt of damp .
We were put up the very top of this hotel with lots of stairs and we felt like we were in the staff quarters , bless them it was like a bedsit ,first room no water ,so we asked to be moved ,but it was suggested we could use the shower in another room that was right down the bottom of the stairs about 4 sets . I DONT THINK SO . we were then put in a room with a shower which seemed like to be in a cupboard ,broken tap ,had to fiddle with the tap to make it work ,also dripped all night .the place stank of damp ,and very scruffy ,oh yes tea and coffee in room but no cartons of milk ,so we asked but you would of thought we had asked for something very strange , but then it was a very strange place !

Room Tip: Excellent location from Victoria station. If you can put up with rest