“Confusing!”

Ranked #46 of 851 Shopping in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hamleys Toy Store is paradise on Earth for children, teens and adults. The magnificent seasonal windows, the displays and installations of various themes and the hundreds of toys create the “myth” of Hamleys and make children from all countries want to visit.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

A great experience and you can spend a lot of time and a lot of money here. When we went, the toilets were unfortunately flooded and out of action, which we did not realise until we trapsed from the basement to the 5th floor only to be sent back down the to basement to use the staff toilets! Next time it would be useful to have a sign on the floor menu by the escalator.
Also another tip - if you are buying any Build-A-Bear merchandise you CANNOT pay for it at a Hamleys till - we got to the till on the ground floor with all our stuff only to be sent up two floors to pay for a Build-A-Bear outfit at a separate till, as they are a concession. On top the the toilet fiasco we were ready to leave!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,123)
All reviews
in 36 reviews
"wonderland"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018

My first visit to Hamleys. Glad I didn't have my grandchildren with me. There were some good toys there, many of them going at a sale price today. The colouring pens being demonstrated in store today, were fantastic, but at £7 a box, expensive. I guess if you are a small child and you can play with some of the toys in there, then this is a dream place to visit, but as an adult who is aware of the value of money, no magic here.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Would be a great store, staff was great and plenty of toys however they let an unsafe amount of patrons in. At the time we were there the main toilets were closed for a long time leaving 3 stalls for all women and babies in the huge store. Long queues and people shoving through. If there was an emergency situation it would be a deadly situation.

Reviewed 28 March 2018

I think this is a shop that has maybe lost a little luster for me. It might because my kids are older and they might have outgrown a place like Hamleys.

It still is an enchanting store if you have younger kids.

See more reviews
Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Took our 6year old on a busy Saturday afternoon, and what an experience! From the minute we approached, we knew we were in for a treat with employees in the street in fancy dress encouraging you to enter.
Once inside, it’s a bit like a cross between a circus and a old fashioned market place. Full of young enthusiastic employees ‘selling’ their chosen toy, using the best possible means...demonstration!
We were all stopped in our tracks by expert displays of the latest toys from 3-armed boomerangs, to mini-gliders that always come back, to remote control flying machines, to hover balls. 6 floors of amazement, and my son wasn’t the only one who wanted one of everything!
They make spending money so easy, from a free Hamleys bag to put everything in, to escalators to every floor, plus check-outs on every floor.
I remember going when I was 6, and it’s lost none of its magic.

1  Thank Therealartestu