“Excellent bar, but not cheap” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Soho Hotel
Ranked #17 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent bar, but not cheap”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

I did not stay at the Soho hotel unfortunately, but when strolling down the road I spotted this trendy hotel, I kind of guessed that they would have an interesting bar, and I was right. The bar is beautiful, with a great choice of beverages, The bar food is delicous. I had the Mezze Platter (£12.50): Hummus, guacamole and pita, marinated olives, foccacia chips. Next time, I will have diner there too. Despite the elegant and sophisticated atmosphere, the staff is warm, helpful and friendly. I preferred this bar to the May Fair bar in the May Fair hotel where I went the following night.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Greek first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

This was my first time staying at the SoHo hotel in London and i loved it. Staff was great, professional, helpful and didn't get too annoyed when i asked to switch rooms 3 times. You may think that is obnoxious, but because of this i can tell you that not all rooms are the same (although i admit.. they are all pretty similar...)

Anyhow, I really like the location of the Soho- easy to walk to many locations and tube stops very close as well. The lobby and bar has a great fun vibe and is always crowded with a good energy. There are also a couple of cozy, slightly more mellow "den" type rooms off the main lobby which are great to relax or have a midnight drink and a game of chess, courtesy of the honor bar which is open 24 hours a day and well stocked with whatever you might need for your late night revelries.

Good combination of young, cool crowd and older, but still cool business people. The Soho can cater to high class guests but it is definitely not a stuff hotel like so many in London- they provide 5 star hotel service without the formality and pretension.

Like the rest of the hotel, the rooms are each decorated in a particular color scheme (i think it is different on each floor) but the lay outs are pretty similar. There is definitely something a little English art deco about the decor, but it is all fun and the beds are super comfortable. The est part is the luxurious marble bathrooms with desperate tub and shower and 2 sinks. As you may read in some of my other reviews, the bathroom is important and can make or break an experience for me and the Soho bathrooms are first class!

Other highlights-
- Great pub right out the back door
- Room service is open late

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

The room was charming and very generous in size (double room). The concierge staff was very good---got my boot's heel fixed and delivered up to my room in less than 20 minutes and for only 6 BP; recommended a great walking path to an address. The restaurant has a very nice continental breakfast buffet with gorgeous homemade muesli, diverse selection of fruit and nuts, and both sweet and savory pastries. Wifi was quick and very reliable. It is a lovely intimate hotel in which I would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ValueSeekerRW
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

This was my 4th or 5th stay at the Soho and it invariably ends up for me the best choice when I visit London for business or pleasure because it delivers at so many levels. I begun bu staying one night on my way to Wales, where I traveled with my partner to spend Xmas with his relatives, for a single night I booked one of the Luxury Rooms, which is on the smaller side considering the spacious larger rooms, still because each room is different, each one is a surprise, their beds are among the best I've slept on, and this hotel manages to block out noises, from inside and outside. After our visit to the Welsh countryside, we returned on December 30th to London and we brought along my partner's mother with us, treating her to a splurge of a NYE celebration in the city. The concierge staff of the hotel assisted me with all the bookings and reservations I needed, which I planned with their help via emails from the US. Multiple times back and forth, planning car pick ups for NYE (it's not a good idea to ride the tube on NYE in London, packed) theater tickets, restaurant reservations and a few other minor things. The concierge staff helped me with everything I needed, always with a smile, and fast. I booked a Luxury Junior Suite and they graciously provided with a change replacing the existing sofa for a sofa bed queen size, to accommodate all 3 of us in the same room. We got a room on the 4th floor, where you enjoy better views, their windows are big, their ceilings of good height, and the rooms at the 4th and 5th floor are filled with light when you open the drapes. We've stayed before at a suite on the 5th floor where you get a balcony, which is also rare to get in London.
The Soho is centrally located near the lively scene of Compton Rd, but it's also a walking distance from one of my favorite shopping spots in London, New Bond Street. It also has multiple restaurants nearby, and if you decide to stay in, their restaurant Refuel is excellent, which brings me to another reason I continue to book there: my partner is very allergic to gluten, and this is one of the few hotels that offers gluten free bread, pastries and cookies, and they will make any changes to any menu item to suit this need as well.
Every time I return, there's a small gift, be it a candle or a fancy soap with a handwritten note from the hotel manager that just makes things a little different when I walk into the room. This hotel is all about the details: wherever you turn there's art or a whimsical framed print, unexpected wall coverings, fabrics, textures and materials that are a feast for the eye without being overwhelming, a lot of thought and careful planning went into the design of the rooms, they are luxurious but cozy, casual yet refined, contemporary without being overly trendy and the play with color is out of the ordinary but so tasteful, it is definitely a decor that will uplift your mood after a transatlantic flight. The bathrooms are spotless, sparkling granite, Miller Harris toiletries abound, lofty towels and robes, excellent water pressure for either an invigorating shower or filling up the tub quickly for a soaking bath. The closet provides an umbrella (it's London) shoe mitt, garment brush, extra shopping bags and their laundry staff won't take more than 3 minutes to come pick up that shirt you need ironed for the evening.
It is a property that caters to a particular clientele in the arts, fashion, media and otherwise very visual industries, so you will see those types at breakfast, at lunch which is invariably buzzing with activity, and at dinner, when you can really enjoy people watching while sipping one of the bar's concoctions. This time I tried their Passion Fruit Ginger Caipirinha, made with real Brazilian cachaca, I lived in Brazil for a few years, so I know how to make those, and I gave that one a full 5 stars.
With the astounding number of hotels in London sometimes I think about testing here and there one of the other big names or small boutique properties owned by either big chains or specialized boutique chains, but I always end just booking the Soho because I know what I will get, and it's always been very consistent. Hotels in London are not cheap and are infamous for small rooms, and by now I know I'll have to shell out over 200 British pounds for a good room, it may as well be one that I know will be spotless, tasteful and spacious, even their standard rooms are larger than other hotels I stayed at. Since it's a small property, you get more personalized service and while it may not carry the name or seal of a big luxury chain, it delivers luxury at so many levels with such ease and quirk that's hard not to get used to.
Whether you are visiting London for the first time, for a single night, on a business trip or taking a significant other, reach out to the concierge of this hotel and explain your visit and your tastes. You will not be disappointed. If you bring your significant other, chances are you will pleasantly surprise them, I think it would be hard to have an unpleasant experience there.

Room Tip: Request a room on the 4th or 5th floor if you are staying for a few nights, even though their are th...