“Nice quality of food but small breakfast portion.”
Review of Zer Cafe Restaurant - CLOSED

Zer Cafe Restaurant
Price range: USD 11 - USD 26
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Mediterranean and British cuisine in a relaxed and welcoming environment
Reviewed 21 November 2014

We visited for breakfast recently on a quiet weekday.

Food:

The quality of the food here is not in question, it is of a good and fresh standard and is very good. The portion I had for breakfast however was less than acceptable (1 sausage, 1 egg, a small portion of beans and a slice of bacon with a couple of bread roles to share). Not terribly filling and I am afraid that if I had wanted a dainty breakfast I'd simply have ordered a boiled egg. My partner also held the same view of the portion sizes. If however you are wishing to have a small portion you will of course be satisfied.

Restaurant:

The restaurant is well presented and has a nice ambiance, it is clean and comfortable although the bathrooms could do with a deep clean or overhaul. It is pleasing to see a restaurant not playing music at a volume that precludes you from having a conversation but it was however so quiet that it was irritating. Overall, it is a pleasant and light environment.

Service:

The service is pleasant but nothing extraordinary. It is simple cafe style service with the food being placed on your table with no frills. There was no offer of more drinks and despite a disproportionately large amount of bread relative to the size of the breakfast, we were I offered 1 wrapped cube of butter per person. The lady with darker hair was very pleasant but the other waitress appeared to be somewhat uneasy and I wasn't impressed when she dropped the chip and pin machine on the table instead of passing it to me and was disengaged throughout. I found the service at times to be a little dour at points and at other points friendly.

Overall Conclusions:

Because of the mixed nature of the service and the unimpressive breakfast I'm afraid my overall experience was underwhelming. I would however chance a dinner here and indeed would like to based on the other reviews, I cannot however recommend breakfast as it stands (certainly not the £5 breakfast advertised outside anyway). Nice food, mediocre service - give it a go for a casual lunch or dinner.

1  Thank JamesDavies1988

Reviewed 10 October 2014

This is a real find. It is not trying hard to be trendy like a lot of restaurants nearby and is all the better for it. The food is tasty and fresh and the staff welcoming and polite. I had passed it a few times but the breakfast menu made me wary that it may not be a proper evening restaurant. I'm glad I tried it and will be back again. If you like good Turkish food don't miss it

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I was here with my mother at around 9 o'clock on a sunday night. The service was impeccable. I had the chicken shish kebab, which was delicious. The atmosphere is perfect; great lighting and very quiet. The restaurant was generally very cosy.

2  Thank clarapopenothor
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My daughter and I stumbled upon this wonderful little restaurant late one rainy Sunday evening. It is just the kind of restaurant I am always looking for -- quiet atmosphere, cozy lighting, great food, gentle service. A nice house wine to boot!

2  Thank RCP62
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We plumped for the set menu, selecting a start each to share and both had the Chicken Shish for mains. A word of warning, the houmous was lovely, however appeared not to be homemade and was served unceremoniously in a pile on a plate with no pita bread. The chicken was a little over cooked and the rice lacked flavour. The presentation showed they some ideas of making things look good, however it looked a little silly on the plate.
My friend ordered a diet coke, she watched the waitress open a can, pour some into a glass, bring it over, then her colleague drank the rest, so we asked for the rest of the can please (as we were paying for it), they seemed surprised, had to open a second can, fill a glass and then bring her what was left in that one!! Getting anyones attention was a challenge except when it came to us paying, they tried to take it before we had placed all the money down.
I will most likely not be returning anytime soon.