“La 'Fiorentina' (Italian T-bone steak) in London”

Macellaio RC South Kensington
Reserve with OpenTable
Macellaio RC South Kensington is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #470 of 25,573 Restaurants in London
Price range: USD 30 - USD 40
Cuisines: European, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Reviewed 19 November 2015

OK, it's London, it's meat (and of excellent quality) and it's posh South Kensington, so if you are looking for a cheap Italian 'Fiorentina' or 'Tagliata', skip page.
Hence the bottom line with Il Macellaio is whether this is worth the price, in the range of 40 to 50 pounds (if you pay attention to your choice of wine...see later). Also, let me stress that I am a BBQ cook, and often grill Fiorentina chosen from my personal butcher at home in Italy, so I am naturally biased when it comes to grilled cow.
Having said this, I'd rate this Fiorentina on an absolute scale a 8/10, so good to very good. Not excellent, because the filet part was a shy tougher than it should have been for perfection (i.e. the consistency of butter). And to be honest, this could have been due to the fact that we had Fiorentina only for two, so a small cut, hence maybe a part that was not perfectly aged.
The cooking was however perfect, and also the 'Tagliata' that two other colleagues got (they serve this in different ways) tasted very good. Entrees are also top quality.
The only downside I have with this restaurant is the wine list. It is extensive, and with some very good bottles, but the pricing is totally distorted from the bottom. While it is ok to pay 30 to 40 pounds a bottle worth 20 euros in Italy (ie roughly twice the price), it is not acceptable to pay 25 pounds for a bottle worth 5 or 6 euros (ie almost six times the price). So watch out.

Date of visit: October 2015
1  Thank Carlo_UW
Rollercoaster78, Owner at Macellaio RC South Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2015

Dear Carlo_UW,

Well...8/10 on absolute scale is not bad, I would say... Thanks for your attentive words, and your comments.
Next time we will do our best to improve closing the gap to the 10 rating.
Our policy is about choices of small wine producers, that we try to fully support, respecting their hard work in the vineyards. We do the same with our farmers, to reward their silent work behind the scenes.
Waiting for you to come back, I send you my Best Regards.

Cheers,

RC

Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed 15 November 2015 via mobile

Visiting London with friends and spotted this restaurant on Trip Advisor, couldn't book a table for 5 people yesterday when we arrived but booked for tonight instead.
Things were a little chaotic when we arrive for our 9pm reservation as the restaurant was so busy. After a short wait we were seated and our lovely host Lorenzo arranged drinks and explained the menu.
We were seated at the front of the restaurant opposite the butchery counter. Whilst perusing the menu 'Lello' the butcher approached our table and made some recommendations.
On his advice we ordered 2 starters to share then a kilo of rib eye and a kilo of T-Bone to share with a few sides.
The meat was perfectly cooked, tender and tasty......fabulous!
Lorenzo learned that it was my partners birthday tomorrow and arranged a portion of the most delicious chocolate cake presented with a candle whilst staff and other customers sang a chorus of 'Happy Birthday'.
A wonderful evening made very special by Lello & Lorenzo's attentiveness, the 'theatre' of being seated near the butchery counter and the best meat I have had for some time.
Many Thanks

Dear Oriel J,

Thank you! Nothing makes me happier than reading specific comments about my guys.
I am very proud of them, as I am when I read such good things about Macellaio.
Thanks for joining us, and let's hope you do not have yo wait till next year's birthday to come back to visit us.

Heartly,

Reviewed 15 November 2015 via mobile

If you like meat, this is the place. Nothing but meat. From the best meat area of Italy, Piedmont.
Raw material of top quality, you can even get unusual dishes like heart and tongue.
A good choice of starters and pasta dishes.
Their tiramisu could be better, less sugar and more coffee. Wine selection right for the place.
Easygoing service, mostly Italian personnel.
In the entrance it's a butchery shop, have your lunch and, if you leave in London, buy your meat, sausages here, you will not be disappointed.
Prices, this being a good neighborhood of London, more than acceptable.

Dear Rana R,

Thanks for reviewing Macellaio, and thanks for your kind words.
Everything is sourced directly from Piedmont, meat-wise. And you did highlight the offals, that are a delicacy for butchers.
Fassona is very lean, and that is why the raw cuts are so delicious.
I am glad you did enjoy your experience, and I do hope to see you soon again.

Kindly,

Reviewed 13 November 2015

Completely astonishing experience! The wine, waiters, design and foremost the food! Have never had such an experience when eating in Italy. Go there for business, family, couples whoever that would like to have a memorable experience. The price wasn't too bad either, definitaly when you think of the quality.

Date of visit: November 2015
Rollercoaster78, Owner at Macellaio RC South Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2015

Dear Hakan L,
What can I say...you should have recommended to children as well...
Seriously, by heart, thanks a lot for your comments about us.
This is our passion, and we try to share it with everyone of our guests.
I hope you will be back soon, for another Macellaio experience.
Our Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 6 November 2015

If you like me love Italy and meat, this a really good place. The meat is cooked to perfection and and only the best meat is used. I was there alone for the first time but felt like a local and was immediately invited to try a couple of different wines which were chosen after I had been interviewed about my preferences. The staff was extremely friendly and to my knowledge all Italians which is a rare in London these days. I'll come back the next time I'm in London.

Date of visit: September 2015

Dear LAMF_11,
I love your the title of your review, thanks!
You wrote nice words about food and our guys.
I thank you thoroughly and we hope to see you soon.
Best,