“Absolute rip-off, service was slow and inattentive, food was average.”

Mad Hatters Tea at Sanderson
Reserve with OpenTable
Mad Hatters Tea at Sanderson is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,786 of 24,813 Restaurants in London
Price range: USD 51 - USD 89
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Sanderson invites you to tumble down the rabbit hole and discover a tea party beyond your wildest imagination, inspired by the whimsical world of Alice in Wonderland. With menus hidden inside vintage books and teapots adorned with kings and queens, our Mad Hatters Afternoon Tea is full of sweet treats and savoury delights to tantalise your taste buds. From Smoked Salmon Scotch Quails Egg and melt-in-your-mouth Ham and Parmesan Croque-Monsieur to the Queen of Hearts Rose and Strawberry Jammy Dodger, complete with the Mad March Hare Vanilla Pocket Watch Macaroon, there’s no excuse not to be late for this important date. Wash everything down with Alice’s Exotic Fruits “Drink Me” potion and a glass of Laurent-Perrier Champagne for good measure. And for the afternoon tea traditionalists, finish up with warm scones, clotted cream and fruit preserve, perfectly paired with Alice-inspired tea infusions.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

So so disappointed with our visit to the Sanderson. I had booked the afternoon tea experience for a friend's 30th birthday, and wanted it to be a very special afternoon - but instead we were left waiting for a table, then left waiting for the tea, left waiting even longer for the food, weren't attended too once during our food (so not offered more tea or more sandwiches), and then had to wait for ages to find some to clear our plates and ask for the bill. I tried to complain to the manager at the time, but he told me I should have spoken to my waiter... Would have been nice if the waiter had actually come back to our table - instead he spent more time with a table of 7 girls behind us, who were ordering bottle after bottle of prosecco, as clearly his 20% service charge was going to be better with them. So disappointed with this experience - they didn't even give us a balloon or a birthday cake, despite being told when I booked that they would. Maybe it was because we had to wait 30 minutes for a table to be set-up for us when we arrived... :-(

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Write a ReviewReviews (2,323)

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Visited for a 21st birthday, had previously asked for this to be written on the plate , however this was not done ! We were seated outside with patio heaters , but it was still cold , would not have booked had I realised it was outside ! The waiter was curt and difficult to understand and we were kept waiting 40 mins for our sandwiches etc ! Although very apologetic , I don’t think I would recommend or visit again and found the food and service disappointing , especially as I had my 81 year old mother and my daughter with me for a birthday treat !!

Reviewed 4 April 2018

The Alice themed tea is delicious and fun. I have taken friends and family twice now and would return every day if I could. The service, atmosphere and food are wonderful. Why go anywhere else?

Reviewed 4 April 2018

A very nice afternoon tea, tasteful and original meal, the theme is perfectly respected. Waiters were warm but service very slow. Expensive. And Philippe Starck should stop redoing hotels.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Lovely presentation of mad hatters tea, especially liked the crab in brioche savoury and the chocolate chess board but everything looked so nice. Only small problem for my husband was that because you are outside in a marquee type thing overhead heaters are used which was right above his head so made him too hot but didn’t spoil our enjoyment too much.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Been to Mad Hatters Tea at Sanderson? Share your experiences!