“Not unpleasant but I wouldn't recommend the lunch trio for value for money”

The Real Greek Covent Garden
Ranked #1,202 of 24,825 Restaurants in London
Price range: USD 13 - USD 15
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: The restaurant caters for Covent Garden's mix of locals, tourists and those who adore the theatre and opera, serving a delicious selection of Mezedes, freshly char-grilled Souvlakis and Sharers. We have a private room downstairs in the restaurant that can seat a maximum of 14 people, if you wish to make a private booking.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I visited the restaurant at lunch time and had the trio from the lunch menu. I chose hummus and green pea fava with crudités, followed by grilled aubergine in tomato sauce with new potatoes.
I enjoyed the green pea fava but the hummus was quite mediocre - it wasn't unpleasant but for a Greek restaurant I would expect something more special. The tomato sauce on the aubergine was delicious but the portion was quite small - I was given 3 round slices of aubergine! The new potatoes had a nice butter dressing but the potatoes themselves didn't seem to be excellent quality, and I was given only 3. The crudité and dip portion was also very small, so it was suitable for a light lunch but my friends had the souvlaki and plate options from the lunch menu and had much more food for the same price as the trio, so it wasn't great value for money.
Service was also quite brusque. I don't think I got a single smile and the staff seemed impatient and irritated.
Olive oil was provided which was a nice touch but I didn't think the oil itself was excellent. It felt like the ingredients used in general weren't particularly good quality - I tried some of my friend's Greek salad and the tomatoes didn't have much taste.
Perhaps the quality is better if you order off the main menu, but it's far more expensive to do so, so personally I wouldn't want to risk it. I don't think I will visit again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

A Greek friend of mine told me I probably wouldn’t enjoy this place because it was geared towards tourists. But she was wrong...
I loved the fact it was more Greek tapas so one dish after another came out and we weren’t disappointed. The lamb meatballs in particular were divine!
Staff were very attentive even though it was busy and were happy to bring out the dishes as and when you wanted them.
The menu suggests 3-4 dishes each which is probably about right. We ordered a few more but just out of enjoyment.
For 3 of us with alcoholic drinks came to just over £80 and we were happy with that. Perfect place for lunch before the theatre and we will definitely go back - delicious authentic Greek food!

Reviewed 3 April 2018

stopped in here yesterday for some lunch. There is a good and reasonable (for London) wine and beer menu with authentic Greek wines and beers. The menu is varied and allows lots of choice. In the end, not having a huge amount of time, I had the lamb souvlakia and chips. The portions were in true greek style - enormous, and I couldn't eat it all. Delicious and hot. (even more important on a rainy and cold day!).

Friendly, attentive wait service. I will make sure I return on my next London trip.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I was there with some friends. We shared two menus for two and everything was delicious. Everything seemed homemade and portions were rather generous. The food was served very quickly and the service was overall very good! Perfect place for Mediterranean food :)

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve been to the real greek so many times, I’m a regular, but for some reason I have never ordered the bougatsa before just because I never though it would be worth trying it anywhere else rather than in its birth place ( Thessaloniki ).
Turns out, not only we ordered it because of one of my friends who really wanted to try it out, but we all LOVED IT and said this couldn’t be so similar to the real authentic fresh and warm bougatsa we have in Greece. So amazed by that!
Everything else of course was on point as always, the staff and service amazing and the manager also gave us complimentary drinks just because we’ve been an awesome crew :)
Thank you Dimitris for the amazing lunch !!
Defo coming back soon for more bougatsa!!!!!