“Stylish flat in upscale Notting Hill”
Review of The Main House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Main House
Ranked #62 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We stayed a week at The Main House, quiet and well-situated in luxe Notting Hill. Our room was quite spacious with lovely tall windows and natural light. It was well-furnished with white linens, wood floors, and sparse antiques -- all stylish, if perhaps a little masculine.

All in all, it's great value for London -- stylish and quiet with ample space.

I found owner Caroline to be very helpful and lovely...

Downside: The beds are very firm, uncomfortable. And there is no breakfast at this bed and breakfast: it's tea or coffee only. Our guest attendant forgot coffee on Saturday morning and was late with it another day.

There is a terrific cafe one block away where we enjoyed our morning lattes and casual food / brunch, including poached pear waffles and vegan couscous salads. Veg-friendly...

It's around the corner from high-end fashion and artisanal stores of all sorts. Walk to two tube stops in 10 minutes. One block from famous Notting Hill Antiques Market / Carnival. Fun!

She also provides discounted guest access to a posh private health club with luxurious amenities...

I would stay here again. Next time, I'd take the spa and soften it up with candles and fresh flowers. Needs a little softening...

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VedAura1111

Reviewed 12 December 2011

Location is great,next to hip Westbourne Grove, with many bus stops nearby and to a 10 min walk to the tube (district line taking you to the touristy places). It was a real pleasure to come home at night, to a peaceful hood away from the crowds. And on Saturday of course you are 30 secs away from Portobello Road.

Rooms are gorgeous, sunny, huge for London standards but cosy at the same time. Furniture is very comfortable and antiquy, providing accommodation a big personality.

Moa is charming and very helpful indeed with good Info on places and sightseeing tips.

I highly recommend it. It might be pricey for some people but it is worth every penny. I have been in London in worse and much more expensive hotels. I will come back for certain. As for the booking I did book one month in advance and got the second floor room with the huge bathroom.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Spagleek
Reviewed 17 November 2011

My sister and I just returned from a trip to London. I always do a lot of research when planning trips because I want to make sure I stay in great places without breaking the bank. The Main House was a perfect choice. It's located in Notting Hill, right by shops and restaurants with buses around the corner and the tube a short walk away but still very residential. Our room was lovely-- with large windows, lots of sunlight, and a bathroom large enough for two women to share. The owner, Caroline, will give you excellent advise about anything you need (ask her to send you to the Pakistani restaurant near Spitafields Market) and her assistant, Moa, who is wonderful, will take great care of you. Thanks to both for a fabulous trip.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Emily3307
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Having attempted to check in at The [inevitably-full] Main House on every visit to London for the past 2 years, I had pretty high expectations when finally we managed to bag a reservation. Staying in one of the large apartment-like suites here, you can enjoy a fantasy life as a Notting Hill resident. As a homesick expat of over 2 years, this meant the world to me. When your body clock's 4 hours ahead, breakfast takes on a strange significance, and it's great to have an infinite choice of fab places to polish off some quality eggs. Come 8am every day, we were battering down the doors at Tom's Deli, the Electric, 202, Daylesford and Lucky Seven (who do an excellent rendition of my favourite breakfast: huevos rancheros). We loved meeting up with friends who live in the neighbourhood and popping in and out of shops like Joseph, Helmut Lang and Agent Provocateur. At Seven, I tried on about 500 pairs of jeans, while the charming assistants cooed over all the silly toys my husband had bought at the marvellous R.S. Currie's on Westbourne Grove. To be fair, he was less entranced by The Main House than me. His issues: the stairs (we made an almighty racket humping luggage up and down them at 5am), the zipped-together bed (a pet hate), the plumbing (plenty of hot water though), an admittedly scant supply of (old and unfluffy) towels, the curtains (definitely not blackout, rather a godsend for peeping Toms), the mismatched antiques and the creaky floorboards. But then he's a 5 star luxury boy and this is an entirely different proposition. For the first time visitor to the area, Caroline Main, a truly delightful host, is offering something very distinctive, soulful and charming here (quite apart from the unbeatable value): a genuine insight into life in a unique London enclave. I enjoyed my stay very much.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the first floor to avoid stairs!