“DO NOT STAY HERE! BE WARNED!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of 1 Lexham Gardens

1 Lexham Gardens
Ranked #887 of 1,088 Hotels in London
“DO NOT STAY HERE! BE WARNED!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

The reason we booked this hotel was purely based on location and price. However, after staying one of two nights in this establishment I would NEVER return to this hotel. We arrived at 9 am yesterday, aware that we would not be able to check into our room until 2pm my partner had telephoned earlier asking if we could leave out luggage in the hotel until our room was ready so we didn't have to carry it around with us for the next 4 hours. He was told this would be fine but that there would be a £1 charge for doing so. Neither of us had a problem with this as we assumed our bags would be put in a store room or at least a cupboard. Upon arriving we discovered this was not the case. "Just put your bags by that sofa" the receptionist told us. I enquired as to when they would be taken away and was met with a baffled expression. She informed me that the £1 charge was the fee for her to secure our bags, yet the bags were to be left in the lobby for four hours? Ironically my partner noticed a sign as we were leaving the hotel stating that bags were not be left unattended. Eventually she accepted my partners suggestion of putting out luggage behind the reception counter.

We left the hotel, went about put business and returned to check into our room around 2:30 pm. We were given our luggage from behind the counter and our room key card. My partner was asked to put down a £5 deposit for the key card. The explaination for this was that many people leave the hotel without returning their key card, surely it would be more acceptable to inform customers that unless they return the key they will be charged a late check out fee? It is not uncommon in many hotels, that you are required to hand over the key upon checking out. After taking a very crampt lift ride up to our floor we discovered that the key card did not I fact work! My partner returned to the reception and was informed the hotel had been having issues with keys not working properly since the clocks went forward. A member of staff accompanied him back to our room with a number of keys, after eventually finding one that worked we were able to get into our room.

The room was small, and not very clean. It had a large sash window that didn't close properly. The bathroom was also small but clean, the shower cubicle was a lovely big corner shower. After unpacking our things we then left the hotel, returning at around 10pm to discover there was no hot water in the bathroom. We put this down to the fact that it was late and perhaps the hot water tank was empty.

We got up the following morning around 9am, I discovered that the shower didn't work, after telephoning the reception we were instructed to let the sink run for 2 minutes before using the shower (why didn't we think of that!!??). After trying this the shower did work but there was no hot water. Reception sent someone up to investigate the matter who then told us that they would give us another room to shower in but we would not be able to change rooms as they were fully booked. We were advised to wait 10 minutes for a phone call with regards to our temporary room. After half an hour my partner spoke to a male member of staff who informed us that there was no hot water in the hotel and we would not be able to shower until 4pm. After asking for a refund (as we had paid in advance) we were told that the manager could only authorise such matters and he/she was not available as they didn't work on Sundays and they didn't have a deputy manager either. So, I write this review as my partner is out trying to find us another hotel to stay in as we can not possibly sleep another night in this disgraceful establishment. No hot water, no competence, no managers. This place should be shut down!

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Jessicakes87

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

I booked a single room, and for a hotel in a peak area of London for a one night stop over in London, it was good value for money.

The hotel was easy to find; clearly signposted, and the map was very detailed in how to get there.

Upon arrival, I was suddenly surprised that he asked for ID, not something I have ever had in my 7 years of Business travel in the UK, but since I had no passport with me, he accepted a card with my name on it. I was then surprised to be told I had to pay £5 cash deposit for the room key. Again, no prior warning of this. Forewarning would have been better.

Following checkin, I noticed I had been upgraded to a Twin room for 1, and the extra space was nice. Despite being simply decorated: no headboards on the bed, no desk (take note if your not comfortable to work from a bed top), the room was very clean and well presented (Though a bit tight space between bed end and wardrobe). Despite being street side, the noise was very low, and the bathroom, though small and simple was clean with no major defects

I tell a lie; one small 'defect' of the bathroom. It was probably designed by a female. The toilet seat wouldn't stay up on its own. Bit of a nuisance for a male.

Breakfast on the other hand was a bit meager and struggling for choice. A few suggestions would be to consider Yogurts, better selection of fruit, and a wider choice of cereals (not all of us like cornflakes or branflakes). I only settled for a glass of Orange, and they spared me the charge for that.

One minor issue was when I asked to leave my bag was to discover that it was stored right next to the front door, in the foyer. No locks, not even a closed door. I was willing to pay the £1 for the day, but not if its just left randomly out in the Foyer where anyone can just lift it and be gone.

Cameras are all well and good, but Cameras do not guarantee I'll get it back if it was stolen.

All in all, a suitable stay for a 1-nighter, though maybe room for improvement on the Breakfast front and better storage option for bags.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are fairly quiet
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Pesaro, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel and we have got a good impression.
Not to big but friendly and near Earls Court metro station (about 3 mins on foot).
The room was very small, i think not bigger than 10 square meters but it was clear and the wc was too small but with every confort you need to stay for few nights.
I can recommend this hotel to everyone who wants to stay few days in London and doesn't want to spend too much.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor I was a slightly worried about staying at 1 Lexham Gardens. However, my stay here was better than expected.

I stayed just one night with a friend during a 'fly in'' trip to London, so all we needed was a good value, basic hotel to rest our heads for a few hours.

We booked just a twin room, but were instead given what could be classed as a family room with a double bed and two singles pushed together. There was also a sofa in the room, a spacious wardrobe, coffee making facilities and LCD TV. The bathroom was fairly modern and big and consisted of a shower, wash basin and toilet.

Okay, the rooms could do with a bit of TLC and cosmetic touch-ups, but we found it to be comfortable, clean, and practical.

If you're looking for somewhere fairly cheap to stay for a no-thrills quick stop off in London, then I would recommend staying at 1 Lexham Gardens.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor and had no problems, so maybe ask for a room here?
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

We've just returned from a night at this hotel, and was pleasantly surprised after reading some of the comments on here. Our room on the second floor facing the back, and the bathroom were very large and modern, ok the walls were a little shabby, but it was clean and quiet and we had a good nights sleep in a very comfy bed. The breakfast was just cereals, toast, beans and eggs but was perfectly adequate. The location of the hotel is fantastic, between Earls Court and Gloucester Road tubes, just a few
stops from the West End. For a cheap and cheerful hotel in the heart of London, you really cant go wrong here.

Room Tip: Advise a high room facing the back for quietness.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple