“pictures and reviews are deceiving” 1 of 5 bubbles

Novotel London City South
Ranked #280 of 1,087 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“pictures and reviews are deceiving”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel during my usual business trips to london. As a major chain of hotels is our official business partner- I thought Ill book a different hotel this time - after reading all the reviews i decided to stay at this 4 star hotel . But i cannot stress how the pictures and the reviews were deceiving. The hotel is conviently located - but I woudnt suggest walking around the close areas in the late evening as they dont look too safe. The reception decor is very modern and so I was very impressed but it went downhill - as I put my key away - with all my luggage and after a 6 am start , I wanted to go to my room and relax - staff did not inform me that I had to swipe my key to get the lift. The room was a major dissapointment, the decor is old fashioned - I coudnt decide if I was in a budget hotel or stuck in a Austin Powers movie. The carpet was old and swen up from some sides - the sofa bed was uncomfortable. The TV being HD - but the quality was blur - there were only about 15 channels possibly only half were ENGLISH.. In the toilet there were parts where the paint had come off - instead of fixign it it was covered with cheap paint which was visable. the shower cubical was chipped at one side. The sink on the fist day was clogged. the showers were old and noisy . the joint of the shower that was attached to the wall was leaking. There was also no hand wash next to the sink - I would have like a ordinary dispenser with hand wash in it.rather than washing my hands with Bath gel. Also the food prices at the restaurant are outrageous - there are amazing restaurants next to the bridge - down the stairs on the left side. Amazing turkish restaurant around the corner from Zizzi , I had a three course meal there at the turkish restaurant and Zizzi - for the same price it would have only got me one or two course/s at the hotel restaurant. The only plus point is the location and the desk inside the room which only because I had a lot of work to do so I could keep my laptop on one desk and papers on the other. I would not consider and would not recommend it to anyone at work.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Faraz M
CitySouth, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor and Olakala following your recent stay at the Novotel London City South hotel.

I am very sorry that your experience did not meet your overall expectations on this occasion. At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service and product experience for every customer and therefore your feedback is very important to us.

I would very much like the opportunity to discuss your stay with us directly. If you would be so kind as to contact me at 0207 089 0502 or you can e-mail on H3269-DM@accor.com.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

I look at all these reviews an expect it to be amazing...I dont know if I was just having a bad day but I thought the rooms were rubbish. They had such a strange layout with a toilet on it own in its own room with no sink. The bed wasn't all that and I felt the room was quite stuffy.

The lobby etc was nice and it was in a good location but I really wasn't that impressed. Maybe its a one off, tripadvisors not usually wrong based on all the other times ive judged it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to comment and I'm sorry that we failed to live up to your expectations on this occasion, however we appreciate all feedback.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me on 020 7089 0502 or you can email me on H3269-DM@accor.com.

Swindon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

I stayed at the Novotel as I was attending a conference nearby. Though I visit London often, I don't really know the south bank and chose this hotel on the basis of other TA reviews. As most others say the hotel is modern and the reception/bar/restaurant are all open plan. My bedroom was comfortable and well appointed though the bathroom being directly adjacent to the bed (behind sliding doors) is a little strange though with a seperate bath and shower was well appointed. The loo was in a seperate closet by the room door, which is typical Novotel, but intriguingly was where the ironing board is also stored.
The bar area is OK, but a little miniamalist for me, but good service nontheless. As there doesn't appear to be any decent restaurants within walking distance, I ate in the hotel on both nights and both the food and service was very good.
Breakfast was also pretty good with a reasonable buffet selection.
In terms of location, I walked the 20 mins to my conference (near Borough underground) on both days and it was fine. The hotel is very close to the Borough Market, for any foodies, and a short walk to the Tate Modern and Globe Theatre, though I must say I'm not sure if I'd want to walk around the hotel area at night.
In conclusion if you are on business in the area the hotel would be a good choice and the service is excellent. For tourists it may be a little inconvenient, unless of course you only want to visit the Tate Modern or Globe.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CitySouth, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your comments and feedback. I agree, the South Bank is a great area in London and I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel London City South hotel soon.

Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

I nice modern hotel on the south side of the Thames. Rooms were modern and appropriately sized. Pricing was quite good - less than UKP 150 a night. Breakfast and hotel restaurant were very modern and sleek looking.

Hotel is about 1/2 mile from London Bridge Station and tube station. Quite convenient.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer,

My team and I very much appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit.

We hope to see you again in the very near future.