“Excellent Afternoon Tea”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: St. James's
Description: The tradition of taking tea and that little bit of something between lunch and dinner has long since been a feature at Fortnum & Mason. Our tranquil Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon was opened by HM The Queen and has since become a stylish destination for the most traditional of afternoon teas.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

This was definitely a splurge, but well worth it! The food, tea, decor, and service all exceeded expectations. We tried both the savory and traditional afternoon tea selections, and both were fantastic! The waitstaff went above and beyond to accommodate any and all requests. Lovely atmosphere! Highly recommended for an afternoon splurge!

1  Thank Cassie B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,465)

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We were big fans of this tea salon. It used to offer great food (and still does) and exemplary service (not any more).

We went twice in a fortnight for different occasions, and had hoped that our initial awful service was a one-off. Sadly not.

At a tea salon it shouldn't be too much to get the right teas delivered to the right people at the same time. On each occasion the wrong teas were served - three times over - and were delivered over a 20-minute period, which meant some of us had tea to drink, some didn't and some were therefore a course or two ahead (or behind) the rest of the party. We were told that some sandwiches were unavailable when they weren't and that only one round of sandwiches was served per person. It isn't, you can have as many rounds - within reason - as you like.

I think the clincher for us was when we ordered a child's tea for our nine year-old daughter and the waitress demanded photo ID before allowing her to have a child's tea. It was at that point I called over the manager. Even then things weren't completely better and he ended up having to serve us personally to ensure that we got the right teas, the right food and that the remaining course/s were served at roughly the same time for everyone.

It's such a pity. We are long-standing fans of F&M's tea salon but this simply was third-rate service at first class prices.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Very nice place for special cases like birthday, enagagement and other things like this which you want to share with ones who able to pay 50+ pounds (at least) for tea...

The palce is very cosy, elegant, music was not intrusive, the food was very good. But prices are very high.

1  Thank Ogtay
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I chose the Fortnum & Mason Diamond Jubilee tea salon for its tea selection: very much a tea lover; the nibbles are there to go along with great tea. I was not disappointed. I was using my Brompton foldup bike which I do not leave on the street. The salon were gracious in accepting it in their cloakroom area, freeing me to browse around downstairs before my scheduled tea time.

My server--wished I got his name because he was one of the best I've encountered (and I've eaten out more than most and have been subjected to more than my share of mediocre service)--was perfect in his level of attentiveness. You can choose more than one tea. All food items are also replenishable. I opted for the vegetarian menu. I would have preferred the vegan sandwiches but the thought of having scones without clotted cream is just sacrilege to me! The jars of jam and lemon curd were generous. They discard them at the end of your visit so you are welcome to take them home. The sandwiches were quite traditional but hit the spot. The scones were good but not exceptionally so. I found their jam a bit too sweet. You can ask for second helpings of the items you like. A dessert table with additional cakes are also part of the menu. The teas were excellent. However, the traditional way that British makes tea is to steep and strain. That means that if you drink your tea slowly, the end of your pot would be over-steeped tea. It would be nice to be able to remove the tea leaves when the pot is perfectly steeped. Throughout the visit, I never felt rushed in any way--and I stayed for a long time. At the end of a very sated afternoon tea, I remarked that the dessert table cakes look really good but I really had no room for another bite. The server graciously offered to pack up a piece of chocolate cake along with a couple extra scones to go with my jam.
The price might sound steep but for what you get and given the high cost of things in London, it isn't really so bad. Definitely recommend a visit here--totally a feel good absolutely pampered experience for me. Come hungry.

3  Thank WorldWanderer88
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We paid £50 pp for the standard afternoon tea, plus £12.50 for a glass of champagne. Basically, this cost more than most dinners I’ve had, but I’d made my peace with that before we got there. I paid for an experience, and that’s exactly what I got - I loved every minute of it.

The staff were warm, friendly, and took excellent care of us. A selection of cakes, scones and sandwiches were brought to the table, along with bottomless tea - delicious tea, as well.

Once we’d finished our sandwiches we were offered another plateful, which was a lovely surprise and one we gladly accepted. The miniature cakes were absolutely decadent - tiny little works of art, every one.

We were so busy enjoying ourselves that we didn’t realize it was time to leave - and we hadn’t even sampled the cake trolley yet! But our lovely waiter offered to wrap up some cake for us to take home which, again, I hadn’t expected at this sort of establishment. And that cake was exquisite.

My only complaint was that we had no idea there was a 90 minute limit on the table - it would have been nice if that were mentioned to us at the start. However, they gave us a 10 minute warning and were very nice about it, so it wasn’t too big of a deal.

2  Thank Jess M

Been to The Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon? Share your experiences!