“Cosey Country Cottage Feel in North London”
other travellers have booked this property
The living room
The living room and dining table The dining table ready for breakfast
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
The living room
The living room and dining table
The dining table ready for breakfast
The double bedroom in the eaves
The kitchen - oven, hob, microwave, fridge, washing machine
High quality kitchen equipment
Shiny surfaces in the kitchen
Guide books for your use during your stay
' A hidden Gem!'  Our Visitors Book
The shower-room
Fluffy white towels and complimentary soaps
The Stables from the garden path
The front door of the Stables - flowers round you door
Your private, sheltered sitting area outside your door
The rear of the Old Bakery
Deli-on-the -Green - friendly food shop and cafe
Fruit and vegetables can be bought at Deli-om-the-Green
Food supplied by The Larder, a lovely shop and cafe on The Green
Cakes at Deli-on-the-Green
The Garden in June - view towards the Stables
Historic Old Bakery - Mr and Mrs Chalkley the bakers with their delivery cart
The Old Bakery - The Stables is located in the walled garden within independent street access
The Green, Winchmore Hill - great shops, cafes, restaurants and pub
Grovelands Park - just 5 minutes walk from The Stables
The view from your front door towards The Old Bakery
Cobbled pathway to the Stables
The Garden - clematis and geraniums in May
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

kmlx2
Northampton, Massachusetts
“A bitter disappointment”
Reviewed 2 May 2013 for a stay in April 2013
people found this review helpful

I was so looking forward to my stay with my 17 year-old daughter after looking at the beautiful pictures and reading the awesome reviews of the place, but we found it to be a bitter disappointment. Upon arrival for our first trip to Europe, after a long journey from Boston, the local taxi driver could not find the place because we were not provided the full address. When we shared our troubles with finding the place, Nina became defensive and angry and she insisted that she had given the proper directions, but we gave the driver the actual page we had. Then, my poor daughter made an innocent inquiry for sheets for the couch, and Nina just went off on her, reciting how her listing made very clear that the place was for just two people (which we were), and that all the bedding was there. She has since written (and I quote her directly) "I do not think the couch is an appropriate piece of furniture for sleeping on" and "I would be within my legal rights to away any guest who does not plan to use the accommodation in accordance the advertised offer. " As she perseverated over the use of the couch, I experienced that awful sinking feeling that I had made a huge mistake in booking the place. It was clear to me, then, that I would not feel like the place was really the "home-from-home" that is advertised. I wonder whether she would think even short naps would be appropriately taken on that couch! Then, as we tried to settle in to the place, we found long and short curly hairs in the bedding and were disgusted by this. Also, there is no clothes dryer as was advertised in the listing we answered.

Concerning the location, the place is not so far north, but if you are going to visit London at all, I would recommend staying right in the city. Although you may pay more for the accommodations, you will save time and money in travel costs. We stayed on the South Bank when we returned to England after traveling to other countries and found this to be true. We also found the three other places we stayed during our European vacation so much more warm and welcoming than The Stables. The only reason we are giving the place two stars instead of one is because the place itself is charming. Unfortunately, that charm and our stay were ruined by Nina's hostile attitude.

Liked best: Winchmore Hill and the place itself was charming
Liked least: The lack of hospitality and welcome
Travelling group: Teenagers
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
11 May 2013
I’m obviously sad that this guest did not enjoy her stay in The Stables. Anyone reading reviews by other customers will see that they have been delighted both with The Stables and with the effort we make to ensure guests enjoy their stay. Why then this one-off negative review?

I think their discontent stemmed from the fact that they booked accommodation that did not match their requirement for two separate beds, if not separate bedrooms. Our other apartment, Chalkley’s, does offer this and was available when they booked. Being larger, it has a higher rent than The Stables but is also offered in a one- bedroom (twin bedded) format at a discount.

Comprehensive directions from their arrival airport were sent by email, but perhaps they left these behind.

As regards cleanliness, there were no hairs in the bedding on their arrival. In our recent annual Quality in Tourism inspection (March 2013), our apartments were again awarded 9 marks out of 10 for cleanliness on the demanding scale applicable to 4* rated properties.
The guest did not make any complaint about the bed-linen during her 4-night stay. If I found dirty bed-linen in a holiday apartment I would object immediately.

I do not recognise the reviewer’s description of what happened when they arrived. Immediately on arrival, the reviewer’s daughter requested an extra set of bedding so that she could sleep on the settee in the lounge. The Stables is advertised as a one bedroom apartment with a double bed and NO sofa bed. I tried to explain that my 4* rating would be lost if I allowed a small settee to be used as a bed and that, therefore, I do not keep, or supply, bedding for it. (However, I do provide a throw on the two-seater sofa in case a guest wants to curl up for a nap during the day.) The reviewer’s daughter then asked for an extra duvet for the double bed (this was in addition to the 10.5 tog, winter-weight double duvet on the bed) because, she said, she suffered from cold hands. I provided this.

After their departure, I found a note written in a very unpleasant tone. The reviewer’s daughter stated that she had, indeed, slept on the sofa, adding “Ha Ha!”. (I believe she must have taken the cushions off the sofa and laid them on the floor.) She also claimed, in quite offensive terms, that I had not washed the bed-linen between guests. This was not the case; I take a pride in providing high-quality, immaculately clean bed-linen (see details below).

In subsequent email correspondence the reviewer expressed the opinion that renting the apartment gave them the right to use it in whatever way they wished. The remark of mine she quoted was in response to this.

Details of our laundry methods and standard of cleanliness: All our bed-linen is 400-thread Egyptian cotton and is laundered at 60 degrees on a 3-hour wash cycle. It is then ironed by me, using a hand-held steam-iron. So, I am always in a position to check that bed-linen is scrupulously clean.

Details of directions supplied: We email each guest directions from whichever airport or station they are arriving at to our front door. The directions includes our postal address, postcode and telephone number at both the top and bottom of the page. It also has a verbal description of our location, which we suggest the guest reads to a taxi driver if he is not familiar with the house.

Other facilities: We do NOT list a clothes-dryer, only a washing machine. We do provide a drying rack, and there is a laundrette with very efficient dryers just around the corner. My husband gave the guest coins for this.
Brisbane
Reviewed 28 February 2013 for a stay in December 2012

Liked best: Location
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 27 January 2013 for a stay in December 2012

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: It felt like a comfortable home.
Liked least: The shower stall was a little tight.
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 35-49
BillH99
Denver, CO
“Stables at The Old Bakery”
Reviewed 25 October 2012 for a stay in October 2012

We really enjoyed the self catering 'Stables'. This cozy cottage with a cute loft was close to downtown London on the train and yet was very quiet and apart from the bussle of the city.

Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: Self Catering. The kitchen was cozy but more than sufficient for the two of us. It saved a lot of money and the large market was within easy walking distance.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 65+
Friends getaway
DickMac32
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
“Great Place 1/2 hr from London King's Cross”
Reviewed 3 June 2012 for a stay in April 2012
person found this review helpful

This rental to the rear of a private house is clean, well-furnished and quiet. The owner is informative and accommodating. It is easy to get to by train or tube/bus and you can reach nearly all of London in less than an hour with one or two changes. There are several good restaurants within easy walking distance as well as a small deli-grocery within a block. A large supermarket is less than a 30 minute walk away. The train station with frequent service is about a block away and a half block away is a bus stop where you can reach the Picadilly Line tube station in ten minutes. Either way, you can reach central London in a half hour or so.

The only drawback is that the bedroom is up a steep, narrow, open staircase and is under the roof, sort of in the attic where you can stand up only in the center. The queen bed is close to the floor. We, in our early 80s, found the arrangement a bit inconvenient, but not unmanageable. All-in-all, an excellent place to stay for a week or a month for a reasonable price.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: It was quiet and comfortable and the owner extremely helpful.
Liked least: The incovenient bed.
Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Your age range 65+
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing