All reviews russell square british museum bedford place quiet street full english breakfast no lift bloomsbury area first floor top floor covent garden small hotel yogurt single room family room perfect location cooked breakfast minute walk
Reviewed 22 September 2017

Had room on 3rd floor facing Bedford Place. Easy 5 - 10 minute walk from Russell Square tube station. Room and bathroom were clean, bed comfortable. With window open, street noise not noticeable. Top floor, as noted by others, was squeaky. Could hear some talking through wall from adjacent unit. Good breakfast consisting of eggs, prepared in variety of ways, with toast , salmon, or full English, variety of fruit, yogurt. Pleasant breakfast room looking out over window boxes with colourful flowers. Breakfast started at 7:30am. Would consider returning.

Room Tip: Quietest room may be at back, not on Bedford, and not on 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
thanethotel, Owner at Thanet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am pleased you enjoyed our breakfast and you found us clean and comfortable. I was also pleased you like our colourful window boxes.
We hope to welcome you back one day.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

I stayed at the Thanet Hotel for 3 weeks in July. It was a wonderful place: the location is excellent...only a 5-minute walk from Russell Square and the British Museum. Located on (for London!) a quiet street, the hotel was still close to restaurants, post office, shops. My room, Number 5, was charming, cool and spacious. Number 5 is a double room on the first floor (second floor to Americans), facing the hotel's garden. So the room was very quiet. The window was, in fact, a double, floor-to-ceiling door, leading to a small balcony. Sitting there in the evening, sipping wine and watching the pigeons, I had a view of almost an entire city block of other back gardens.

Every thing was clean and well-kept. Breakfast was also very good: Your choice of a full English breakfast, fruit, cereal...and great coffee.

The staff, including the owners Richard and Lynwen, were very friendly and helpful...in getting a taxi, finding places, etc. (There is no elevator in the hotel, but the staff helped with luggage.) In the foyer, there was a weather report for the day so you knew when to take one of the Thanet's loaner umbrellas.

Small touches made me feel very much at home, for example, in addition to tea and coffee in my room, there were always cookies and very tasty hot chocolate. In the basement level, where I did my ironing, there is a stash of books and even a cocktail table set up with a decanter of a cordial, to sip while ironing or reading!

Though I would recommend the Thanet for any length visit, it was especially a pleasure because I was there so long. When I arrived in the evening, it felt like I'd come home.

The rates are very reasonable...the Thanet is a real find for both comfort and quality of stay.

Roberta

Room Tip: I stayed on the first (second to a Yank) floor, No. 5, facing the garden, not the street.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank malmgren2017
thanethotel, Owner at Thanet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Thank you so much for your kind review . It was lovely meeting you and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and liked the small touches we try to incorporate.
We hope to see you again on your next visit and thanks once again for your lovely comments.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

My husband and I first stayed here in 2003. We liked the accommodations so well that I kept the brochure. 14 years later we returned to find the same friendly owners. The rooms had been updated since our first visit of course. Our room was clean and the small bathroom with shower was spotless. The full English breakfast was a wonderful way to start a day of sightseeing. The location is great. It's on a quiet street and within an easy walk to the British Museum and the Russell Square underground station.

Room Tip: Note: this hotel has no air conditioning. Also there is no elevator so you may want a room on a lower floor.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sixtyntravelling

Thank you so much for your great review. We were so pleased that you decided to stay with us again and we had a real "blast from the past" seeing the old bochure - Thank you for sharing it with us.

Reviewed 28 July 2017

This hotel is clean, friendly staff, excellent (fast)breakfast, and sooooo perfect in it's location. Bedford street is close to the Russell Square tube station and literally down the block from the British Museum. It was also very quiet. It was exceptionally affordable. I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone staying in central London.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank TwoMomsTV
thanethotel, Owner at Thanet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2017

Thank you so much for your wonderful review - we were very touiched by your description of the Thanet and certainly what you describe is what we aim to achieve. We hope to welcome you back one day.
Many thanks

Reviewed 18 July 2017

We've stayed here several times on trips to London and find it a more characterful experience than the usual budget chains.

Rooms clean and comfortable, staff are friendly and helpful, breakfast is good. Don't expect air conditioning - a fan is what you'll get - en suite bathrooms are small, and with stairs throughout, it's unsuited to guests with restricted mobility. Some noise from the road although it is a side street.

If you can live with that - we can and will keep going back - it's good value and the location is hard to beat.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rob A

So lovely to hear that you have stayed with us several times and will come back. It was also so nice to hear that you preferred us to the budget chains, we are indeed an alternative budget experience to the chains. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Thanet in due course.
Many thanks