New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #314 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Dark and dingy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

This is a glass and drapes bathed in low designer lighting place. You can't see a thing. The prices are crazy. We paid £24 for two glasses of wine and two waters. Still, it is a Hilton.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MarliSadzinski, Guest Relations Manager at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Thank you very much for your post.

I am sorry to hear that our decor was not to off your approval. As a boutique hotel we use innovative design to make the ambiance unique, and memorable.

Our hotel offer a wide range of drinks, price vary and are in line with many other establishments in the area.

We are due to reopen our Vista Bar by the end of the month, the views to The Trafalgar Square are just amazing. With one more bar open our offer of choices will also increase.

I do hope you will once again to make a visit to our hotel, and that the options offerd meet your expectations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Although there were some improvements that were sorely needed (the elevators weren't working for 5 of the 7 days we were there), the location and the staff at the hotel made you overlook the negatives. It's a predominantly young group of employees who are very friendly and eager to help. The housekeeping service was very good, and the maintenance staff extremely attentive. The minute we notified them of something that needed tending to, it was fixed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Paris
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I stayed at the Trafalgar in Oct 2011 for two nights. Having stayed 6 times with them and being HH Gold, you would expect some decent treatment by their front desk or service relations manager.

I booked the stay on points and cash and presented by reward certficate upon check in. I was assigned a terrible room that they call deluxe, failing to realize that I had already stayed in their deluxe or deluxe plus rooms before. The room was badly set up, had a waterpipes closet in it, with sounds all night. It was also badly maintained with different color light bulbs on each side of the room. Cleanliness was also not their forte.

I asked for late departure that they indicated it was complimentary given my HH status. Upon exit, i settled my bill and all was fine, I saw a guestroom charge which seemed like the cash part of my points and cash reward.

Four months later, in Feb 2012, they contact me to say that there is an additional charge and that they forgot to add the cash part to my bill for my points and cash reward and that the charge I paid was for late departure... I checked my records upon receiving the new bill and charge and realized irregularities in their HH points declared (actually they declared nothing) for my stay. I missed my HH Diamond status because of their errors in HH points declaration.

As I took the issue with them and with their front desk manager and guest services "leader" - they admitted their error and indicated they contacted HHonors to fix the problem. 3 weeks later, I contact HH Desk: no issue was raised, they never filed any correction for my points, and no mention is made to HHonors of their errors. HH desk asked me to file a complete detailed report about this incident with all supporting docs directly with the head of HH Europe, which I did. Trafalgar of course never answers emails with their correspondent indicating he left the job in his auto-reply! How pro!

All in all, I stay 40 nights a year with Hilton and been with their Hilton, Conrad, and Waldorf Astoria hotels. This hotel should not be part of the Hilton family. It is noisy and has a club in the lobby, badly managed, incompetent reception and employee relationship staff, and simply mistreats HHonors guests, especially on reward stays.

I hope Hilton gets its senses back and ditches this property - Hilton deserves better. As for me when in London, I will stay at the Park Lane or Waldorf - stated repeatedly with them and never an issue.

• Stayed October 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank EMMParis
Cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

We won a stay at the hotel with a meal & theatre tickets through a competition with Virgin Atlantic. We arrived early and did not expect our room to be ready. However, we were able to leave our luggage & because of the great location went for a pleasant walk in the park. When we returned our luggage had been taken to our room. The room was pleasantly furnished and the sound proofing was excellent for a London hotel. We had tickets for Chicago and had a meal pre-booked in the restaurant for 6pm. Unfortunately, when we arrived they had no booking and were in the middle of a staff training session. They did clear the restaurant and accommodated us although they were clearly not expecting us. The food was good and well cooked. The staff were very apologetic and afforded us a free bottle of wine. Breakfast the next morning was very good although the knives are quite difficult to cut anything with. They do look very funky though! We stayed an extra night through Hilton honours and everything was fine. It was a bit of a pain with only one lift working but I understand they are upgrading. The location is excellent and after the initial glitch the staff were very helpful. I would definitely return and although the hotel is expensive, it is definately worth it for the location for theatres, art galleries and shopping.

Room Tip: Use Hilton honours to upgrade to Executive Room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wychwood100
MarliSadzinski, Guest Relations Manager at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
I am glad to hear that you had an anjoyable stay with us.

Appologies for the shorcoming on your arrival at the restaurant, but i feel encouraged to learn that our team acted immediately to deliver a great dinner experience.

Our restaurant china and cuttllery has been recently changed, so is great to have a immediate feedback from our guests.

Also, on your next visit you will be able to experience a complete upgraded lift service, the works should be concluded by the end of this month, with a faster and reliable service.

Ihope to be able to welcome you back to The Trafalgar in the near future.
Waterbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

This is a beautiful hotel. The inside is very modern with blue lighting in the hallways. The rooms were big and well kept. This hotel is in an excellent location. Coming out of the underground next to Trafalgar Square felt like I was in the middle of New York City. I started walking the first day and the Mellenium Bridge and London Eye are just minutes away. big Ben and Parliament are only a 15 minutes walk. The British Museum is also about a 20 minute walk away. The hotel can be pricey, but I used my Hilton Honor points.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are glad that you enjoyed your weekend stay with us. Our hotel is excellently located in terms of the overground, tube and bus transport at Trafalgar Square. Best of all, it is a walking distance from the major sights.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.