“Hotel was fine” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia
“Hotel was fine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I like boutique hotels a LOT! This place definitely covers that for sure, its my 3rd stay here,but my first time reviewing. I think its hard to rate any London hotels well, as the rooms are always SOOOOO small. As someone who has traveled to about 30 cities across the globe, the rooms in London hotels are always small, but you can't hold that against the bloomsbury, obviously.

Their staff is always very helpful when you need. The location is great as well, especially being so close to a major underground station.

The restaurant is so-so, but with so many other places accessible, don't let that influence your decision. The Bar (Landseer) in the basement always has a nice set of tech-geeks it seems like, and the bartenders down there are always great, with whipping up great drinks and offering advice for tourists / visitors.

I'd recommend this place for sure, just keep in mind, the rooms are gonna be small.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank wilreynolds
Beccy G, Management at The Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you for posting such a positive review following your recent stay. I am delighted that the bar in particular was able to make your stay so positive and it is always fabulous to hear that the staff are so helpful. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

My wife had an accident a couple of weeks before we arrived and she arrived in a wheelchair, all the staff were very helpful as soon as we arrived assisting in using lift at side of hotel to foyer then very efficiently booking us in and giving us the opportunity to have another room with a shower for use with disabilities. the room was very clean.and cosy.. we used the bar which was spacious enough for the wheelchair and the service , drinks to table, were lovely. Toilets emaculate .Due to mobility we used the room service and the food was bought up fast and was smashing. All the staff were so nice and pleasant they made what was unusual and difficult circumstances for us with my wife in a wheelchair an enjoyable occasion. It was very close to theatre area,British museum and covent garden. 10 out of 10 for everyone there.Thank you and we will definately return .(were there 9/3/12 and 10/3/12)

Room Tip: there was a fitness centre but did not use
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Beccy G, Management at The Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
We are all delighted that you would make your stay so enjoyable and help your wife get about with a minimium of fuss. Thank you so much for posting such a positive review and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stayed here recently for a week on business and have stayed here several times before with great satisfaction. When I arrived it transpired that there had been a mix up that that the agent I booked through (otel.com) had cancelled the booking without calling me. Anyway they assured me at the check in desk that they would sort this out. I sat down in their lobby for almost an hour without anyone updating me. Then when I went to the desk they said that they could do nothing they were fully booked. I asked to speak with a manager who ended up giving me a room for the night and saying he would sort it out in the morning but that I would have to check out the next day. I checked out the next day and was told I would be called in the morning to confirm there was a room available from the manager - no call came. I called them in the afternoon only to be told that they could do nothing there was no room and I would need to book in somewhere else. I couldn't believe how poorly I was treated. They said they could book me in the following day but that I would have to pay their daily rate which was triple what I had booked per night. I asked them to honor the rate which they said wouldn't under any circumstances. Had they made it clear on the first night that there was no room I could have made other arrangements however they left me completely dependent on them and were useless. I asked why they had not done this and the manager said he hadn't wanted me to feel "deserted". I can't believe that they would treat a customer in this way. I had to book another hotel and arrived back to the hotel late to collect my bag the manager then said he could fit me in and would honor the rate. After all of their fuss and the stress they caused they could honor the rate so they lied in the first instance. The people on the check in desk couldn't have been less useful. I would never stay here again as I cannot imagine being treated worse. On top of this the breakfast is exceptionally poor.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank coco55555
Beccy G, Management at The Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you for bringing your recent experience at the hotel to my attention. Firstly I would like to apologise for the treatment that you received during your recent stay with us. I have now had the time to fully investigate the situation and please rest assured that the staff involved are also very sorry for the mistakes that were made. It really was the intention of the staff to try and resolve the situation by allowing you to remain in the hotel but I fully accept that the way they proceeded to go about this only caused you more anguish. I would be delighted to discuss this further with you and hopefully resolve the issue to your satisfaction and would kindly ask that you contact me on beccy_gunn@doylecollection.com
Cleveland UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here for three nights in March, and loved the place. It's not a typical big chain hotel, and although we didn't eat there, the downstairs bar was good for a quiet nightcap at the end of the day.

The staff were all great, and maid service and towel changes twice a day were unexpected but impressive.

The location is excellent. Less than 5 minutes walk to the top of Oxford street, 10 minutes walk to the heart of Soho and Covent Garden. I'll definitely stay here again.

One negative was the cost of a cooked breakfast at £22 per person (I'll never understand high charges such as this, as you can get a 2 course set lunch there a few hours later for £12!). But there are some nice and much cheaper small cafes virtually next door to the hotel where you can get breakfast for much less.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lee-ClevelandUK
Beccy G, Management at The Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you for posting such a positive and personal review of your stay. I am delighted that the hotel was able to surprise and delight you. I do hope that when you return to us you pre-book your breakfast upon check in where we are offering a discount of the breakfast price thus making us very competitive within the area. I personally look forward to welcoming you back.
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I usually stay at more business-oriented hotels as the rooms are more spacious and you can get a great rate on the weekends, but since it was a special occasion - a boutique hotel was more appropriate. I booked The Bloomsbury as it seemed to be very central and had a nice decor, and most reviews were positive!

We arrived an early morning and our room was not ready, this seldom happen and it's my first time at a London hotel checking in before official check-in time that I've not been given a room straight away. Fortunately they had luggage storage so we could wander around while waiting for the room to be cleaned. I loved the lovely decorated reception area and the candles that were lit up in different parts of the hotel. It also smelled wonderful at all times, so the atmosphere was great.

Our room was nice, but a bit on the small side. The bed was a queen size and could barely fit the two of us (and we're very normal-sized!). I loved the free internet access and the bath products from Aromatherapy Associates. Most of the room seemed to be of a great standard and I'm very picky! Our window was faced toward a backyard, not interesting and a bit sad, but then again it was quiet.

The location is excellent, and it's perfect if you like shopping, eating out and sightseeing as you have lots of choices nearby (Oxford street, British Museum, SoHo). I would definitely stay at Bloomsbury again due to the location!

Most of the staff were polite and helpful, but there was one girl in the reception who seemed a bit nonchalant and acted surly. The reason I'm not giving the hotel "Excellent" is that it is quite expensive unless you get a good deal, the surly girl in the reception, the tiny size of the bed and the sad view from the window.
But I will definitely recommend Bloomsbury to others and hopefully we will be back!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank glamourprincess
Beccy G, Management at The Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you posting such an honest review of your recent stay with us. We really do appreciate all feedback given to you as the comfort and enjoyment of our guests is of the utmost importance to us. I would like to assure you that we have conducted additional training following some of the points you raised and we are delighted that you will return to the hotel and recommend us to others. I personally look forward to welcoming you back hopefully soon.