All reviewscartwright gardensrussell squareno liftquiet crescenttennis courtssingle roomeuston and king's crossbreakfast roomst pancrasbritish librarybreakfast was excellentflights of stairsthe ground floorfull englishfirst floorsitting roomcharming hotel
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I stayed at the Harlingford during the first week in September as I was attending a conference nearby. I enjoyed my stay and only found one minor problem with the hotel.

Positives
*Location is perfect for using the Tube/Train - Russell Square is a 10 min stroll & Kings Cross is also not very far.
*If you enjoy walking then it is about a 45-55 min walk from the hotel to Trafalgar Square.
*Many pubs & shops nearby if you want to grab something to eat or a pint.
*The service at the hotel was excellent, especially the breakfast menu. I would also praise highly the breakfast staff who were friendly and helpful.
*The hotel has a sort of 'lived in' feeling to the place, which I enjoyed. It had character and was not a soulless place that many chain hotels are.
*My room was on the top floor and was small, but adequate for what I required.
*Although the hotel is near to several pubs I did not experience any noise that caused a problem.

Negatives
*My bed did have a slight valley in the middle - this is a small complaint and it wasn't uncomfortable - but you were always aware of it.
*The stairs are narrow going to the top floor and if your suitcase is big/heavy it could be difficult to manoeuvre it up.
*There is no air-con, which for most of the year in England isn't an issue. The first two days of my stay were a bit hot and I did need to leave the window open. Again this wasn't too much of an issue.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, for the price which includes breakfast I felt it was money well spent. I would happily stay here on any future visit to London.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Of the many low-budget London hotels I've stayed in, this is my favorite. My two nieces and I spent a week in a comfortable triple room in the basement level that had a nice large bathroom- especially good since three women were sharing it. An extremely friendly staff and owner welcomed us as family, gave helpful directions about the best way to get to our destinations and where to find good shopping for the teenagers. We enjoyed the ample breakfast in an attractive room. Location is great--near two tube stations, one of which runs directly to Heathrow Airport, the British Museum and British Library are nearby, and it is on a quiet street with very little traffic.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Given the price, the fabulous neighbourhood and proximity to the Tube and Eurostar, Harlingford Hotel gets two thumbs up from me.

I stayed for approximately a fortnight across two separate trips during and after the Olympics, and was very pleased that I did (among other things, there was no Olympics surcharge, which says a lot about the way the place is run). The breakfast is super; the rooms are comfortable enough; and given Russell Sq Tube is three stations away from Soho/West End, you're well placed to explore central London until the early hours of the morning.

The only negative worth mentioning is that the showers are small, and it's almost impossible to wash yourself without getting tangled in the shower curtain! (Seriously though, it's a small price to pay when the place is well run, wi-fi is free, and you have a beautiful leafy courtyard out the front). I stayed in two different single rooms (both at the front of the hotel), and had no issues with noise.

Some of the older reviews on here mention curt customer service. I will say this - the reception staff aren't the most friendly people I've met, but they always answered my queries, and helped me out when I needed it (including leaving bags behind etc).

I will definitely stay here in the future, and have recommended the hotel to family and friends since returning home.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Less than 10 minutes walk from Kings Cross station on a pleasant Georgian crescent, and not far from the theaters and cinemas around Leicester Square.
The welcome and checking in was quick and efficient. My single room on the second floor was compact, but clean and comfortable; and the en suite shower and lavatory were modern well equipped. The desk-top fan in the room was a much-appreciated item on a rather hot and sticky night.
Breakfast was excellent, with a good range of fruit, juices, cereals and conserves, and the scrambled eggs and smoked salmon were delicious.
The owner was on hand as I left the breakfast room, and had a cheerful and friendly word with anyone passing.
All in all, a hotel that I would be very happy to return to when back in London.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 August 2012

This is one of the few hotels in central London that didn't put up the prices, we paid exactly the same price this year as we did in 2011 so thumbs up to the management for getting that right!
Because it was busy we didn't get the same room we wanted, we got a smaller double room (we think) than last time and a bit more noisy as it was at the front.
Great location for the Games as we had tickets for the opening ceremony....absolutely amazing and we hadn't had the worry of getting back early as the hotel had 24hr reception although it appears we had to wake up the girl in the office.
Surprisingly the area was quiet and on Saturday evening and we had the best restaraunt in the area almost to ourselves. Breakfast is a a bit later and a bit busier on a Sunday but certainly worth the wait. Overall we had a great time, the only criticism I could find was the bed was a little too firm for my liking but the location and friendly staf more than made up for any minor inconveniences.

Room Tip: Be NICE! Even if the receptionist can't immediately help you, they always look at the situation to help if they can.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple