“Cheap, clean, great location in London? Why, yes!”
Review of Harlingford Hotel

and 1 more site!
Harlingford Hotel
Ranked #549 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 April 2011

We all know that London is an expensive city, but you don't have to drop major $$$ (or £££) to have an enjoyable stay. This is a great choice for those on a budget.

I traveled solo and got in late in the evening. Still, I felt safe walking from the tube station to the hotel while lugging all my stuff. And after I checked in to my room, I was on a mission to find two things: food and a sim card for my phone. Luckily, I found both within two minutes of leaving the hotel. (There's a great fish and chips place just down the street, and the internet cafe that sells sim cards is just right around the corner. Perfect!)

Anyway, here is a rundown of the good and the bad.
Pros:
- Affordable! Less than 100£ for a single room? Not bad!
- Great location, only a five-minute walk from the Russell Square tube stop, easy to find, and safe too
- Clean and comfortable room, plus spacious and modern bathroom
- Friendly staff (reception and breakfast room)
- Breakfast included, and it was pretty good too!

Cons:
- No elevators here. If you have a heavy luggage, request a room in one of the lower floors. They were able to accommodate this request for me, which is nice.
- Leaving your luggage with luggage hold means leaving it in the breakfast room. I was a bit uncomfortable doing this because really, anyone can just grab your luggage. But thankfully, all my stuff was still there when I came back for them late in the afternoon.
- Spotty WiFi. I got disconnected a couple of times.
- Tiny room, but as I mentioned, it is pretty comfortable.

Overall, I liked my stay here. If you're looking for something basic that's affordable and in a great location, you really can't go wrong with this one.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank cambridgechica
There are newer reviews for Harlingford Hotel

Reviewed 18 April 2011

On arrival we were immediately made to feel very welcome. The receptionist was warm and friendly. The room was everything we hoped for - clean and bright. Having read some reviews I was not expecting it to be very big so I was very pleasantly surprised. It was very roomy and anyway, isn't a room in London just somewhere to sleep and wash? Who comes to London to sit in a hotel room? It was spotless, with pristine white sheets and towels.
Breakfast was delicious and the staff in the dining room were very friendly.
I would definitely stay again, easy access to King's Cross was another plus point.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank choosymadam
Reviewed 7 April 2011

We stayed at The Harlingford for four days in March while we had to vacate our flat temporarily.

Here are advantages: (1) Excellent location, especially if you are coming into Euston Station or interested in the attractions of Bloomsbury. The area is reasonably quiet while being central. (2) Quiet and clean. Our room was at the back, no view to speak of, but was quiet. The whole place is nicely clean. (3) Reasonably priced in a very expensive city. Nothing will be cheap in London except real dives, but this place was acceptable (about 200 dollars per night). (4) Pleasant breakfast room with nice service.

Here are disadvantages: (1) Rooms are really small and showers like those in a train compartment. Our room was labeled 'superior' but barely contained the bed. I wonder about the standard rooms. (2) The management should know that doorknobs--lacking in the rooms--are really useful. There's a reason most doors have them. (3) There is one computer in the lobby that can be rented for a pound per half hour. (4) Not all clerks are particularly friendly, though this may just be London.

All in all, a good option for this part of London.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Jackmi
Reviewed 4 April 2011

I give this hotel a GOOD average score. It is a good location pub shop cafe restaurant within 1 mins walk. It is about 7mins walk from Euston. I had a single room no.34 big enough but very hard bed. View of flats & factory roofs. Bathroom was adequate. Room was clean. I also went in room 16 a double at the front nice view & roomy. Also I saw room 4 basement family room this room had a bath. The breakfast was plentiful cereals pastrys fruit & full english. Staff in breakfast room very attentive, Reception were fine too, no problems leaving luguage. I would stay there again if I had to in that location. Hotel cat ZiZi a cutey.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank hollipops
Reviewed 30 March 2011

We stayed at the Harlingford during our recent trip to London. We have been repeat customers of this hotel on our other numerous trips to London. We have always loved the location as it is an easy walk to rail stations (Euston, St Pancras, Kings Cross) and the tube, as well as the British Library and British Museum. The rooms are not large (who would expect that in a small independent London hotel) but have been comfortable. They serve the best breakfast of any London hotel we have stayed in. Unfortunately our latest visit revealed a very uncomfortable change in the hotel. The beds! It has been a couple of years since we have stayed at the Harlingford and during that time they have done some updating and remodeling of the hotel. This includes the addition of some of the most uncomfortable beds we have ever slept in. They are a dense foam about 4 inches thick sitting on a board. We woke up feeling like we had been beaten with a stick each morning, and mind you our bed at home is a firm. As much as we love this hotel, the new beds would make us seriously reconsider staying here in the future.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple