Aloft London Excel
USD 300*
USD 273*
Hilton
  • Pool
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
USD 212*
USD 239*
USD 233*
Doubletree
  • Restaurant
London House Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
USD 112*
USD 276*
USD 260*
Travelocity
1,980 results
All reviewsprince regentdlr stationcity airportconvention centercanary wharfcanning townemirates air lineblack out blindssauna and steam roomdocklands light railwayattending a conferencejubilee linewalk in showercomfy bedbooked this hotelreception deskfull english breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 May 2012

My second time staying and I would choose here every time if I was staying east end of London although the DLR will take you into london in a short trip. Lovely gym/pool/spa area, small but enough to swim and workout in. Great, large and comfortable rooms. Friendly and helpful receptionists and dont forget the free shuttle to and from Canary Wharf, this was a godsend for me, every 15 mins in the morning and every 30 at night but remember to book it to pick you back up or it doesnt come out (it's not a Scheduled bus after all). Very new and trendy interior and the fridge in the room is useful too. Havent eaten here, looks nice but bit pricy. Overall a really great hotel.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We booked this hotel as a mystery hotel through lastminute.com & got a great deal for the May Day Bank Holiday, 2 nights for only £138, usually costs in the region of £200 I believe. On arriving at the hotel by car you are let into the car park by contacting reception who raise the barrier for you. I was told by reception that this would cost £14 per night but they never added it to my bill when we checked out. Reception was in the centre of the entrance lobby & very friendly although the disco could have been turned down a bit. The lifts only operate with your room key card which is great for security. All the decor is very modern & the rooms, ours was a double on the 6th floor, are very comfortable. Huge double bed, digital 42" tv with 20 or so international tv stations & the option to upgrade to pay tv or internet access. The open plan design of the rooms gave you a wash basin by the door with separate toilet & shower room. The location is next to the Excel exhibition centre & the Prince Regent DLR station making it an ideal base for anyone visiting the Olympics this summer or even the O2, Canary Wharf or even Central London. This hotel is definatly on our list of hotels that are worth returning to!

Room Tip: For the DLR do not go through reception, get out of the lift on the 2nd floor & go out through the restaraunt, this saves you having to climb up the stairs outside.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy62_11
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Let's start with the pros.

# Modern and interesting design.

# 15 metre walk from the Excel Exhibition Centre and Price Regent Station.

# Lovely bar with a pool table and a very fun barman.

# Clean rooms with a nice TV plus HDMI and USB inputs.

And now the cons.

# The barman was super friendly and really fun but the of all the reception staff, I never saw one of them smile at anyone.

# There is a laundry room that you can use to do your own laundry but there is no option of paying for a laundry service, nor is there any contact details for a local laundrette/dry cleaners that may offer this service. If you are exhibiting at the ExCel centre then your days are very long and your evenings are often spent entertaining. It is not easy to find the time to do your own laundry.

# We called down to reception and asked if they could call us a taxi into town one evening. We were told "I'll give you the phone number and you can do it". Is it really that hard to call a taxi for your hotel guests? We ended up having to use my mobile to call the aforementioned phone number as calling an outside line from the room phone never seemed to work (we followed the instructions on the phone).

# There is a computer and printer set up for guests to use but we had no luck with printing our documents from it. We are all fairly experienced in IT but there was no way to change any settings on the PC so we were unable to resolve the issue ourselves. We didn't have time to ask for assistance as we had a meeting to get to.

# We were told by other guests not to bother using the hotel restaurant FEDE as the service is slow and poor. We saw 2 reviews on tripadvisor that said the same so we ate in Canary Wharf most nights.

All in all, the only thing that let's this hotel down is it's attitude towards being friendly and helpful. The 'help yourself' ethos will suit some people but having the choice of a personal service should be offered. When you are spending several thousand pounds on 3 rooms for 10 days then you would hope this would be the case.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mslouisebrain
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Really fun and comfortable hotel. Enjoyed the bar and the rooms; they were much bigger than I expected them to be. The staff were very attentive and caring. Amazing hotel to stay in; its just quite a distance from central London.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I got a fantastic deal for the weekend at the Aloft and couldn't have asked for more; perfect for the price I paid. Stayed here in April with my partner for two nights for an event at London Excel and what a fantastic location; the ExCel is literally on the doorstep of the hotel. It's not 5 star but it was perfect for what it is; it 'does everything it says on the tin'.
On arrival; check-in was smooth and quick; not technically minded so didn't even attempt to use the self check-in or out.
The staff were very friendly and welcoming; although could have provided more information about the hotel at check-in as I spent about 5 minutes trying to work out how the lifts worked when I first got there; bit of a complicated system; but a fantastic system none-the-less.
The room was lovely and modern decor throughout; but not clinical but not homely either; felt like I was staying in a hotel. The bed was comfortable and had a fantastic sleep (word of advice; try to get a room facing the rear as the view is not great but much nicer than the front). The room was absolutely spotless (I always check for dirt, dust and hair on arrival at every hotel and it always pleases me when I find a place this free from any of that). There were just enough toiletries, tea and coffee provided and as I'm a huge tea drinker; when I asked for more teabags; they were very happy to provide me with them; only downside was the paper cups??? Well, at least I didn't have to worry about whether they had been washed properly.
I loved the fact that the rooms had everything you could need and the fridge was a great touch to store the drinks; there was a hairdryer and iron also.
One of the things I dislike most about hotels; is often that you feel that you don't get enough privacy; however, here I didn't feel like I was getting in anybody's way and didn't feel like I had to be too quiet or that I was being intrusive; basically the rooms are nice and private with no noise from outside or neighbour rooms.
Only downside about The Aloft is probably the location if you're not driving or visiting the Excel. There are no shops nearby or many places to eat; the restaurant was too quiet so didn't look inviting so decided to get the DLR to the O2 which has an array of lovely restaurants, but wasn't happy about walking to the station and taking a ride in the rain and if you can't be bothered and don't want to eat in the restaurant, than you'll starve, but you wouldn't be disappointed sitting in your hotel room because wifi is a wonderful bonus.
All in all, I had a wonderful stay and would definitely recommend it and will be staying again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple