“A nice treat”

Ranked #535 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Coventry, United Kingdom
“A nice treat”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

This Hotel was booked fo rmy birthday and the hotel was excellent from when we checked in. We got there rather early and left our bags throughout the day, by the time we got back they were in our room. The free drinks and canepes were lovely and the breakfast the following day was brilliant. The room we had was on the way up the stairs, I was worried about the noice but I did not here a thing and the hotel was very full. The staff were great and the style and the atmosphere was great. It was a nice treat.

The only couple of down sides that did not make it an excellent (not anything serious): One of the staff members on the front desk at night was rather off after requested hot drinks in our room, which is not great after coming in from a meal. Also the view from the back of our room looked into other peoples living room, it was fine in the day but at night felt a bit odd.

Apart from that a fantastic stay, great location and the places to eat and drink around the hotel are plenitful. Thank You for a nice stay in London.

Room Tip: Just ask before you leave your bags and let them pick a room for you. We did not mind at all, howeve...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Cranleyhotel, Manager at Cranley Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear midlander23,

Greetings from the Cranley Hotel,Thank you very much for taking the time to give us some feedback about your experience at the Cranley Hotel.

Thank yu very much for your kind words and that you have chosen the Cranley Hotel for your stay in London.

I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to the Team at the Cranley Hotel who will indeed be very glad to hear about your expereince.

I do regret to hear about the incident that happened during the Night, and I would like to thank you for bringing it to my attention. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience for any further enquiries maurice.schuttke@cranleyhotel.com

We are indeed looking forward in Welcoming you back at the Cranley Hotel in the near future,

Duty Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Polish first
Belgrade
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Everything was just perfect. Location, service, comfort...Hotel staff was exceptional, always with the smile, so full of positive energy, very quiet but always quick and helpful...there is no words to describe how good that team works. Congratulations to those who put ​​the whole team together!

Cranleyhotel, Manager at Cranley Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear Radovan17,

Greetings from the Cranley Hotel,

We were delighted to have you staying with us for your stay in London.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Stayed one night prior to a 24 hour international flight, and hardly got any sleep due to noise. Nice staff who initially appeared very professional but did not handle the situation well at all, plus were not able to make executive decisions in the absence of their Manager. I checked into the hotel and was allocated a basement level room (505) and returned to my room around 8pm to shower and retire early. By 9pm I was still aware of noise from above (footsteps & creaky floorboards) as my room was directly under the ground floor lounge / reception area. Realising this could go on till all hours I rang reception and asked to be changed to another room and the only room available was a higher valued room and therefore I would have to pay the difference if I wanted to move. I objected but this got me nowhere and the Receptionist was unable to move me at no extra cost without her Managers approval. I did not want to bother him out of hours and asked once again to just move me, but to no avail. Went to bed and probably got to sleep around 11pm but was woken at 1am with excessive creaking floorboards. Rang the Night Manager who said he'd look into it. Things didn't improve so I put on some clothes and went up and spoke to him by which stage there was no one in the lounge, thus he said it should be okay now. Not sure what time I got back to sleep but come 5am I was woken again. I gave up at this stage trying to get any sleep as my alarm was set for 7am. Upon checkout the Night Manager asked if I had slept and I advised 'not at all', and reluctantly paid 182 pounds (288US / 275AUS), expecting that maybe the Manager would have stepped in by now and retrieved the situation somehow.

A couple of days later I receive the automated letter thanking me for staying and hoped I had a pleasant stay and looked forward to my return!!!! Obviously my complaint had not been passed on at all or dealt with. I had by this stage almost finished compiling my letter of complaint to the Manager so finished it off and got it off to him immediately.

He promptly responded and kindly refunded all my monies and said he had checked the room out, and yes he could hear the noise from above however said my complaint was the first ever!!!???? Impossible! He agreed I did not get 'value for money' - thus the refund.
He went on to say my profile had been flagged to be allocated a top floor room in the hope I may return one day and give them another chance. This clearly indicated to me my complaint re this particular room had fallen on deaf ears. I responded saying if I was to ever stay there again I would insist to be allocated room 505 as they needed to resolve this problem so as not have future guests experience what I had to go through.

Hotel is delightful in appearance and staff (reception/ Executive Housekpper, and breakfast staff) very friendly and pleasant. I agree with a couple of other Tripadvisors comments that the hotel is looking a little tired (frayed carpet edges, pealing paint in places, carpets and some seating needed shampooing).

I was so disappointed to have had such a bad experience as I have been aware of The Cranley for many years, having lived in the same street when I was posted to London for work. I had read mostly positive comments from fellow Tripadvisors so was so looking forward to the experience.

Once the Manager confirms they have addressed the problem with room 505 I will return to give them another chance, and hopefully I will be able to higher rate the hotel on Tripadvisor.

Location is excellent, street is quiet, concept of hotel and style is nice, and yes give it a try but DO NOT LET THEM BOOK YOU INTO ROOM 505 unless they have confirmed it has been sound proofed, or as I suggested when the Manager said mine was the first complaint, 'you'd have to be deaf or very hard of hearing', which he supported his statement as mine being the first complaint with 'previous guests must have been hard of hearing'!!!

Room Tip: Keep away form room 505 and rooms close to the staircase to the basement level.
Cranleyhotel, Manager at Cranley Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Greetings from the Cranley Hotel,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback about your experience at Cranley Hotel.

We were sorry to hear that we could not achieve your expectation on your stay at the hotel.

we are indeed working into the different alternatives to soundproofing room 505 with our Maintenance team.

We are certainly looking forward in welcoming you back at the Cranley Hotel in the near future once the issue is resolved.

David Garcia
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We have just returned home after two nights at the Cranley. The location is great, brilliant for Gloucester road tube and a really good choice of bars and restaurants nearby. Our room was on the ground floor, number 602 I think. It was at the back and whilst not huge was very cosy. There was no view to speak of, just a brick wall and some chimney pots but the upside of this meant it was really quiet. Everything was very clean. We did not get to sample the complimentary champagne and canapes as we were out both evenings so I can't comment on those. My only grumble was the continental breakfast. Yes it was brought to the room at the requested time but it was just not worth what we paid. We would have been better off going room only and could have got something to eat round the corner from the hotel for half the price. This is a lovely hotel in a great location and I would definitely stay there again but I will save my money next time and go out for breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor at the back are nice and quiet but don't have a view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Despite having a reservation at another well recommended London hotel, when the Cranley came to my attention, I decided to give it a try. Good decision, and I was totally satisfied. Convenient for Heathrow. Easy walk to Gloucester Road tube station. Excellent selection of restaurants within walking distance, including the Noor Jahan (which I highly recommend) next door. Pleasant neighbourhood. Received assistance from hotel in arranging airport transfers - no problems, and the car service was excellent. Breakfast was on time and well done, and a couple of dinners were quite good. Comments about the fabric are correct, cracked paint here, threadbare rug there, but is that really an issue? You want perfection, spend significantly more money and stay elsewhere. The Cranley is a great hotel, and worth every penny.

Cranleyhotel, Manager at Cranley Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear ILikewhatILike,

Greetings from the Cranley Hotel,

We were delighted to have you staying with us for your stay in London and very happy that you have chosen us over your previous Hotel choice,