“Let down by the staff”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Kensington
Ranked #480 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 June 2016 via mobile

I recently stayed here with my wife for our 1st wedding anniversary. When booking I mentioned that it was a special occasion and was informed that she would contact the hotel and leave notes on my reservation. I then called the hotel direct a couple of days before my arrival to check if they could make it a little special for us as a surprise for my wife. No problem I was told leave it with us. We checked in and went to our room all excited. Tiny disappointed nothing had been done and the room wasn't to the standard I had experienced before staying at other DoubleTree hotels. To top it off the aircon was broken on a hot June day. So I headed to reception and explained everything and expressed my disappointment with the lack of effort to make my stay special. They said they would have another room ready for us upon our return from seeing a show. They would make sure this was a better experience for us. So I was eager to see what they had done for us at 11am when we returned. NOTHING is the answer. Gutted.... In the morning we did enjoy breakfast after the hotel was evacuated at 06:30 due to fire alarm. When we checked out we was asked how was our stay. I then explained everything again to a lady whom apologised and informed me the manager ( Samit???) would call me that day. No call came my way and still hasn't 2 days after we left. They didn't even answer the phone when I've tried to call them. This is not what I've come to expect from staying with Hilton hotels. Should have booked with Premier Inn.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rob T
Jesus E, Hotel Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2016

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your recent stay.

I am terribly sorry to learn that we failed to meet your expectations for such as special occasion as your 1st wedding anniversary. This is certainly not reflective of our usual standards, please accept my most sincere apologies.

I would very much like to investigate further to ensure we take the necessary actions to avoid this isolated issue from happening again. Would you be so kind to contact me directly on j.espinar@dtlondonkensington.com with your reservations details, please?

Thanks again for your time and I hope we will have the opportunity to have you and your wife again with us in the future.

Hotel Manager

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Kensington

Reviewed 17 June 2016

Fabulous location, great breakfast and very friendly, helpful staff when staying, however,it was a nightmare to get through on the phone afterwards. I left my sunglasses and was told they would call or email me back once they had checked with housekeeping. Still I've heard nothing over a week later.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank C N
Jesus E, Hotel Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2016

Dear guest,

Thanks a lot for your 5-star review about your recent stay.

I am sorry to learn that you did not received a call yet about the left behind sunglasses. We have strict procedures in place and take this very seriously. Please feel free to contact me directly on j.espinar@dtlondonkensington.com with your reservation details so I will personally follow up our records.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Best regards,

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 17 June 2016

The front of this hotel is very Chelsea (set in a row of white brick row houses) and the location is pretty great, however, scratch beneath the surface and it is still a Doubletree. Which means smart (nice looking) up front but, unfortunately, tawdry under the surface. Features front desk staff that doesn't really care that you have been assigned to the most claustrophobic room ever (probably one that they would never sleep in if they had a choice). The 'upgrade' room bathrooms are so small that you have to close the door and climb over the toilet to get into the shower. And - really, the corridors can't possibly be regulation size? And the breakfast - despite very helpful, upbeat staff, is just plain awful. High points? The multilevel chandelier in the stairwell is absolutely beautiful. Too bad that the rug beneath it seems to be a holdover from the not so swinging 30s. Fabulous bed, in the upgrade room. Could be a "wonderful bed". Great neighborhood. Check out Bibendum, the "michelin man" restaurant in a re-modeled garage. Or go to the museums, or walk to the Chelsea embankment, or check out the Serpentine Gallery in Hyde Park. It's definitely a step up from the Holiday Inn nearby, (yes, the Holiday Inn! you can have a true Holiday inn experience in London, without time travel!) but only because it's smaller. FYI, here's the number of the special prison room for claustrophobic guests: 117- has no apparent no fire exit and windows that don't open, located at the top of a narrow stairway that only leads to the one room...is this the room that the single woman traveler gets assigned to because she's too tired to complain? I suggest that they take this room of the list of guest rooms. It's just not right.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
2  Thank William M
Reviewed 17 June 2016

We are three "young" senior citizen couples who chose the Doubletree by Hilton for its reputation, location and price.
Our room was on the ground floor and although the size and facilities were just adequate we found it to be very dark. The hotel manager did inform us that all the hotel rooms lighting are to be upgraded.
The staff were very friendly and welcoming from arrival to departure and made sure all enquiries or requests by us were answered to our satisfaction and not just theirs!
We found that the location and area around the hotel felt "safe" both during the day and in the evening. Nearby are many nice restaurants, pubs and coffee shops that are busy, noisy and provide a great atmosphere when your aim is to go out and enjoy yourselves. Our first night there we had tickets to see a show in the West End, we chose to take a short stroll to South Kensington underground station and took the tube to Piccadilly which takes about 10 minutes. Yes the tube was busy in the evening but that added to the enjoyment of a night out in London!
There are so many places around the hotel that are in easy walking distance. The River, Kings road Chelsea, major museums, Hyde Park, The Albert Hall and much more.
Overall we found this hotel to be good value for the money and we will be returning to this hotel in the very near future but we will chose a room on one of the other floors.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2016

I booked this DoubleTree Location based on location and what I felt was a good value for the money and I was not disappointed. Before arriving I emailed the hotel about an early check-in since our flight was landing at LHR fairly early in the morning and I knew we'd be exhausted. Also, I was traveling with my daughter as a graduation gift for her and wanted to make sure her first trip to the UK started off well. Happily I received a very quick response from the hotel manager, Mr. Espinar, who advised me they would do their best to get me in a room early and they did. Mr. Espinar also emailed me the morning of our arrival to tell me they would have a room ready and followed up a day or two later to see if we were enjoying our stay. That was beyond what I expected and excellent customer service!
Our check-in was quick and smooth and the bellman offered to help with the bags, but we opted to take our own luggage up as we were not carrying any oversize bags. The hallways have a few twist and turns and we got turned around initially but a housekeeper happily pointed us in the right direction.
I booked a standard twin room which was updated and very nice, the room was very small, but I knew that up front based on reading other reviews and it really wasn't an issue - we really weren't in the room much other than sleeping. The room was located on the inside of the hotel where the view was other hotel room windows, this was perfect as we never heard an outside noise. The room was clean and housekeeping did a good job throughout our stay.
Breakfast was included in our rate and I have to say the dining room staff was very friendly and attentive. I was concerned because of some previous reviews but if there were any previous problems they've been resolved. We never waited but a minute or two for a table even when they were busy and everyone always smiled. The food was good with a lot of different choices.
As for the location, it was way better than I thought when I booked the hotel, it's literally a 3 minute walk to South Kennsington Tube station and maybe 4 mins to Gloucester Road Tube Stn. It was a breeze getting to the hotel on the Tube from LHR on the Piccadilly line - no changes, you just get on at LHR and then get off at S.K. or Gloucester rd for the short walk. Getting around London was a breeze also, S.K. Tube station is served by 3 lines allowing you to be anywhere you want to go very quickly - I had no idea how good this location was until we started sight seeing. There are several amazing sights within walking distance as well. To make it even better the area around the hotel and both Tube Stations is full of great places to eat and drink.
In summary, we really enjoyed our 5 nights at this hotel, my daughter loved London and the area around the DoubleTree. The staff was all friendly and helpful, the price/night was an amazing value and the hotel location is incredible. This will be my first choice if staying in London again and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms not on the street are extremely quiet, standard rooms can be small just be aware.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family