“You see things u wouldn't see by yourself even if you walk right through them.”
Review of Alternative London

East End Pub Walking Tour in London
Ranked #1 of 182 Food & Drink in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover the London you won't find in the guide books with London's original off-the-beaten-track tour provider! Come with us to explore the culture, community and street art of London's vibrant East End. We offer unique and original walking tours, bike tours and food & drink tours and as London's original street art tour provider we also offer street art workshops led by our team of street artists. Tour prices start at pay-what-you-want so there's something for everyone at a price to suit all budgets. Let our expert guides show you the real London, from a local's perspective!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Great tour. London's street art rocks. It's a must if you go to London.

Gary how was walking along with might H.P?

Cheers

• Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A brilliant and edgy Art tour - not just for tourists!”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

This is a brilliant two hour walking through the East End - Spitalfields, Banglatown (Brick Lane) and Shoreditch - showing you the local painting culture (graffiti) and telling you a bit about the area. This is certainly a unique tour of East London (and its art culture), and a must if you want to experience real London and something that is slightly more authentic and edgy.

I live in East London, and still really enjoyed this tour, it certainly isn't just for tourists. The guides (in our case Josh), was fun, informed and fantastically enthused about what he was talking about.

In terms of cost, you pay what you think the tour is worth. I think this is a great idea and very in keeping with the idea of the tour, culture of the area and the art. All I'd say is, unless you hated it (which I think would be pretty impossible) make sure you pay the guide something (however much you can afford), and don't do what some students did on my tour and sneak off at the end. Very poor form!!

In summary, I can't recommend it highly enough - go!!

Clayton, North Carolina
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Best "Off The Beaten Path" tour in London”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My husband, 2 teenagers, and myself just returned from a short trip to London. After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to spend an afternoon of our limited time on this tour. We could have chosen a lot of other things to do but we decided on this because of the positive comments. All of our expectations were exceeded! We completely enjoyed this tour. Our guide, Gary, has such a passion and knowledge of the East End of London. We learned so much about street art and were looking for other examples long after the tour ended. He gives a lot of the history of the area as well as the artists' backgrounds which adds so much to the tour. We would highly recommend this tour for teens as well as adults.

1 Thank OTForKids
ca
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A hidden jem tour. A must do for those who like to know about the local culture.”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This is not the typical palace-visiting, museum-tour. This is definitely a hidden jem and I would recommend it to anyone who likes to know about local people, culture. I had watched Exit Through the Gift Shop documentary and was introduced to street art. Thus when I searched for London tours and came up on this, I knew this would be perfect!
We had the thur evening tour and while it was cold that night, it was all part of the experience. The evening tour that night was led by Josh who was so very energetic, enthusiastic and you can tell genuinely love the street art. We did a lot of walking and my feet was tired but Josh's energy and the amazing street art we saw, the history we learned about east London totally made up for it and kept us going all night. It made us look at the walls in a different light and we couldn't help but start looking for street arts ourselves after the tour! Apparently there are copycat street art tours but this one founded by Gary is the original. I'm very glad I took this tour. It offers a different, not your typical walking tours that are usually commercialized and general. This one is definitely for those who like to know the town and not just visit the major attractions. And the tour fee is voluntary. We felt it was sooo worth our time that we put in a lot more than what we originally thought we would contribute. It's definitely a must do!

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent insight into street art in the east end”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

All those years I have been walking around london and the east end and not taken the time to really look at all the amazing street art that is around on the buildings - for free! Well not any more! Gary (our guide) gave a really good run down of the work of the various artisits who have committed their work to what is such a vibrant area. He introduced each piece on the tour and gave the story behind them, which really added value to understanding what these artists stand for.

It makes such a difference when you are on a tour and the guide has a real passion for what they do. Thanks Gary!