“Tidy hotel but characterless and faceless personality!!”

Kensington House Hotel
Ranked #507 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Tidy hotel but characterless and faceless personality!!”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel on Saturday night on a visit to the (brilliant) Olympics. This review is not about the cost as we have been asked to pay a premium - in this case £204 for a double room with continental breakfast, but more about what we would have said had the price been a normal rate.

The positives include the location which is just off Kensington High Street. 5 mins or so to the high street that has good shops and 10 mins to the tube. Its also in a quiet area so we had no disturbance. The room was really nice, clean and modern. It was large with a comfortable bed, and facilities. A minor gripe was the fact that the windows only had wooden blinds which looked good but didn't block out the early morning light.

The rest of the hotel completely lacked personality. The staff were not all friendly or interested. The breakfast and where it was served might fit better in a hostel. Help yourself continental which had 6 types of cereal, white and brown bread to toast yourself, errr oh yes some fruit and a couple of pastries? Tea/coffee fruit juice in jugs and that's your lot... not even a smile, horrible atmosphere. By the way you can get cooked at a price but I wouldn't bother I'd pop to a nice high street cafe.

The check out sealed it. We weren't even asked if we enjoyed our stay they just took the money... well I am sure business has been good for you during the Olympics but I suggest your style changes as life goes on and a smile doesn't cost anything.

Room Tip: We had room 110 - great room just take eye patches if you like to sleep in.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Kenhse, Manager at Kensington House Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
We read your review with interest. To respond to a couple of your points - We are actually looking at installing black out blinds within key rooms so hopefully this will address the light issue.

We are sad to hear your comments about the service however – we normally hear how helpful and charming our team is. It’s always useful to hear this feedback to share with the team and hopefully we will improve our performance the next time you visit.

Regarding the breakfast, the offering is normally more substantial so again, we will address the point with our food and beverage team.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
abu dhabi
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We have now stayed here five times, so that must mean something. Rooms can be very small, though quite stylishly decorated. I got a free upgrade on two occasions, and these rooms were slightly bigger, and have a bathtub. (I think regular rooms only have shower and bathrooms are are tiny). The main advantages are location and friendliness of staff. Prices for this part of London are reasonable, especially if you book in advance. I agree with some reviewers about the noise from construction, and last year there was a thin layer of dust over everything soon after the room was serviced - from the construction site.

Breakfast is good and there is free WiFi in rooms. Good selection of bathroom accessories.

Fridge in room would be added bonus.

Room Tip: Ask for room which does not face construction site.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dupeyabu
Thank you for posting your largely positive review which we read with pleasure.

NJ, United States
Reviewed 6 July 2012

The family stayed here in August 2004. My daughter who was 4 still remembers her little bed. Great Location to the Gardens, museums and shopping. Loved the stay back then.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Just got back from spending one night in room 105 at Kensington House Hotel. When we checked in the carpets in the communal areas looked quite dirty but by the evening they appeared to have been vacuumed. So, first impressions were not great. We were given our room keys but no instruction on where the room was located. I assumed it may have been on the first floor but eventually found, after a second trip to Reception, that the room was on the lower level. When we got into the room we were quite disappointed. We didn't bother opening the window blinds because we were overlooking a brick wall and above that a building site. The building site I could put up with as the construction work is temporary but the room looked like it could do with updating, particularly the bathroom where the tiles really needed re-grouting, the towels looked a bit grey and the shower curtain had seen better days. Back at Reception I asked for a different room explaining that the room was very dark and dreary. I was told this was because the room was in the basement and there were no alternative rooms available. I would have thought the receptionist would have tried to give me a more positive viewpoint rather than agreeing with me! I was rather annoyed that we had been put in the basement as I had made my reservation back in February and we had checked in relatively early too.
We therefore decided to make the best of it. However we then observed ants in the bathroom which was quite offputting. I didn't bother making another trip to Reception as I had already been told there were no other rooms. The complimentary refreshment tray contained the usual minimal sachets of tea, coffee, sugar etc plus one half used sachet of hot chocolate and only one biscuit which I feel should have been picked up by the cleaning staff. I agree with another reviewer that the window blinds are inadequate to block out the early morning sun and I found myself awake by 5.30 as it was so light in the room. The breakfast was very good with plenty of cereal choices, breads and pastries and the waiting staff were very pleasant and attentive. Having said all that the location is perfect if you need to be that side of town. As we were attending an event at The Royal Albert Hall it was ideal for us. Would we stay there again? Probably not - maybe we were just unlucky with the room we were given. However if you want to stay somewhere that's reasonably priced and are prepared to overlook the decor then this might be a place you should check out.

Room Tip: Ask that you are not put in the basement
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank astins01
Thank you for your review.

I think there were many issues in play here and certainly, this is not the room you should have been allocated, given the advance nature of your booking. Please accept our apologies. You might be interested to know that we are nearly 60% of the way through a total room renovation at this moment and we hope that when you next visit, you will enjoy the results.

Your comments were however very helpful for our housekeeping team and we are currently thinking to install black out blinds to ward off the early morning rays. Regarding the ant problem, this has also been addressed and we were told by the experts that they migrated to our hotel from a neighbouring property, disrupted whilst building work occurred. Hopefully a one-off problem.

USA
Reviewed 10 June 2012

The beautifully decorated and well-lit pictures online are deceiving. Our room is nothing but a bed with thin covers and a few pieces of furniture- cute, but not a place to hang out. Plumbing difficulties abound but have been dealt with quickly. Awesome location, though.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends