“Wonderful Service; Lovely Location”
Review of The Marylebone

The Marylebone
Ranked #65 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 May 2012

The Marylebone Hotel is a medium-sized property on Welbeck Street in Marylebone (nice and quiet), just a block from Marylebone High Street and a short walk from Oxford Street (south) or the Marylebone Road/Euston Road to the north. So the location is very good for getting around London as well as taking in the sights, shopping and restaurants in Marylebone and Mayfair.

The lobby and public areas are attractive. The front-of-hotel sitting areas are comfy and quiet. The staff were helpful and solicitous to a fault - always ready to answer a question or help out in some way. (I had to wait for my room to be ready due to a slightly early arrival - everyone made me feel at home while I waited.)

My room was well appointed with nice linens and a modern bathroom. Some may find the rooms/bathrooms small, but this is pretty typical in the UK and Europe. Wifi was free/included in the room rate - a nice touch. The health club attached to the hotel is modern and full-featured - and also included in the room rate.

I did not use the hotel restaurant this trip save for one breakfast (which was fine) but it is a beautiful facility.

My only issue would be that at this price point (it is a fairly expensive hotel) some details of housekeeping could be a bit more consistent. Nothing major.

I will be returning to the Marylebone quite soon. For business travelers and tourists you will find The Marylebone a terrific homebase in London

Room Tip: Hotel rooms tend to be small in Europe/UK so be prepared. The neighborhood is pretty quiet so stree...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ACKTraveler52
TheMaryleboneHotel, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Marylebone Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will be returning, we value your custom and appreciate your continued support. It was a pleasure to see your comments about our staff and that you found them to be helpful and friendly and most importantly that we made you feel at home. I also take on board your constructive feedback regarding housekeeping and would welcome more information so we can fully assess where improvements are needed. Please do contact me prior to your next arrival or anytime for that matter; I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss your thoughts in greater detail.

Thank you again for writing about us and I hope to welcome you back to the Marylebone Hotel in the very near future and look forward to meeting you in person when you return.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

The nice hotel staff was very friendly (check in, when leaving & entering the hotel,...) and helpful with luggage, umbrella, taxi,... We got a nice present too!

Marylebone is such a nice place to be and very close to Oxford, ideal for dropping those shopping bags!

The room was just perfect: London has small rooms but this one was quite good. Bathroom & bed were excellent. Nice evening chocolates & water,... All those things together made it a wonderful stay!!

A lot of nice breakfast places in the neighborhood (Patisserie Valerie, Paul, Starbucks,...).
Every time we go back to our favorite place: St-Christopher's Place! We just love the atmosphere, restaurants,...

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jurgen H
TheMaryleboneHotel, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2012

Dear Guest,

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your room, your stay in general and the little extra touches which we believe is so important in making our guests’ stay that little more special! Marylebone Village is indeed a wonderfully quant part of town and with a plethora of little shops, restaurants and café’s there is ample to do without even mentioning that we are only 5 minutes walk from Oxford Street.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

Excellent service, well located for shopping ,good resteraunts and tourist activities.

Room size is a touch tight , as are most in London but we were thankfully upgraded to a loft apartment 25m which was workable especially when you and cath go on a massive 2 day shopping spree.

A relaxed bar to have a nightcap in before heading to bed. Ample size tvs in room with iPod docking station. The standard room we used to freshen up on our arrival only had a shower in the bathroom which was is a contradiction of sorts and may be a bit of a let down after having walked London and wanting to soak in the tub to sooth the feet and back.

Other negative is that the cupboard and shelf space was a touch limited but in saying that we we in a 3 week holiday so had more lugggage than the average traveller.

Generally an excellent stay, great service and lovely environs as a base for your trip.

Stayed: April 2012

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you thought the service was excellent. The I-pod docking stations have been a recent addition in our constant drive to add to our guests’ experience and we are working tirelessly to innovate and improve our hotel facilities across the board. I fully take your comment on board regarding the limited closet space for a 3 week visit and am pleased to let you know that we do have room categories with substantially more wardrobe and shelf space, which is perfect for longer stays.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

We stayed here this weekend and had booked a superior queen room on the website after reading the reviews on here and looking on the site. When we checked in, we found to our disappointment that the room(549) was tiny, the bed looked like it had been squeezed into the corner and the room and corridor stank of stale cigarette smoke.

To the hotel's credit when we complained, we were moved to a room which was much more deserving of the title "superior". I can't remember the name of the lady behind reception that resolved the problem for us but she was really nice and couldn't have been more helpful.

We decided to eat in the bar on Saturday night and were again disappointed, the staff really couldn't have been bothered with our presence. The really annoying thing was that service charge was added onto the card machine before I had a chance to change it.

Overall, we'll be thinking twice before booking at a Doyle collection hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to learn that your stay was not as special as you had hoped and genuinely apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. In terms of our bedrooms they do vary in size, layout and of course rate and whilst I am pleased that we managed to find you a more suitable room I am sorry that you were disappointed with the first. As a matter of interest we are in the process of going entirely non smoking throughout the hotel and aim to roll this out from the first week of June.

Perhaps the most disappointing for me was your bar experience and that you felt unacknowledged. I can assure you that I will personally look into the matter as we are incredibly focused on consistently delivering warm and personalized service throughout the hotel. Whilst I can assure you that this is most certainly not indicative of our service we clearly did not get it right for you and for this I apologize unreservedly.

I would be most grateful if you would contact me prior to your next London trip and give me the opportunity to personally ensure your stay is to your complete satisfaction.

I do hope to welcome you back to the Marylebone Hotel and I am confidant that we will be able to meet and exceed your expectations when you return.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

I really cannot praise this hotel highly enough.

We had a wedding nearby on saturday afternoon so just needed to stay nearby for one night, and this hotel was absolutely wonderful. I dropped my luggage off on the thursday night to be stored until I checked in on friday night, and from that moment every one of their staff could not do enough for us. gunther especially was very helpful, but so were all his colleagues behind the reception desk, and the concierge and porters. We have specific religious requirements and they all could not do enough to help us.

The room itself is modern, clean and all we really needed. The breakfast was very well presented, and the hotel gives off an ambiance of relaxation and tranquility.
ee would definitely stay here again, and high;y recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Wow, I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us so much! We know that the most important part of our service is recruiting and nurturing a team of enthusiastic and passionate people who genuinely care about customers and want to go the extra mile, every time. It is therefore immensely rewarding to hear directly from our customers that this service ethos has translated effectively into their hotel experiences. I will be sure to pass on your very kind comments to our team.

Thank you once again for writing to us, I hope we will be welcoming you back to the Marylebone Hotel very soon and please ask for me when you return, it would be a real pleasure to meet you in person.