“It could have been a great Hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blakes Hotel

Blakes Hotel
Ranked #380 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Hermosa Beach, CA
“It could have been a great Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

Sorry It took me this long to review this hotel, but I am not a person who likes to write bad reviews , in light of what happened , I finally decided to do so.
I booked the Luxury Suite , when we arrived , the front desk clerk didn't know where it was in the hotel, We finally get there and it was a room with old and torn apart couch and extremely dirty and not taken care of properly, then The Clerk couldn't find the closet , it took a while until he did, then there was no shower just an old bathtub with a spray shower, tried to find another Hotel In London but was a very Busy Weekend.
In the Morning talked to the Manager and he transferred Us to the Luxury Suite on the top level.
Beautiful Room , but that is when the trouble started , We went for a long outing to central London , and when We came back to the Hotel to take Showers and get ready for an Eric Clapton Concert at RAH the shower had no hot water, nobody could figure it out and also it was Friday so it took a long time until the maintenance guy showed up, also it took him a while to figure why there was no Hot Water, by this time it got to be very late and We had to go to the concert dirty an feeling disgusting, it was an incredible concert though .
This issue was an ongoing theme trough out our stay , when they finally figure that somebody had to go to the roof to do something with a valve every time we wanted to use the hot water. Also the electrical outlets didn't work at all .
One good thing about this place was the restaurant and Claudio , the manager who made the whole stay more bearable .
When We finally had to check out , they only offered to take one night of the bill, still it was in my opinion outrageous that we didn't get a discount on the other nights.
Wrote a Letter to the Manager and Owner , and they offered a two night stay and a complimentary dinner to be used in one year, well I don't get to London that often and I do not think I will stay again at a place like this , it is unfortunate because their place in Amsterdam was great.
It could have been a great place .

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank PabsKuch
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2015
Dear PabsKuch,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. I am sorry to hear we did not meet the high expectations we aim to delivery to all our guests. I am sorry to hear that you do not wish to return to us, even though we have tried compensating for the issue you experienced with us. We have refurbished some rooms since your stay, I hope you will consider us again when you plan your next trip to London.

We would be grateful if you gave us a second chance, I will make sure you will not be disappointed next time.

I hope to welcome you back to Blakes in the near future again!

Kind Regards,

Meir Abutbul
Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed at Blakes at the weekend, - first night our babies were being babysitted, gave us a well earned night away.
We loved pulling up at the hotel, the dark exterior makes it very special, and the staff on reception were friendly and helpful.
We stayed in the Corfu suite which was absolutely gorgeously white, peaceful and quiet (all the things we dont have at home with two babies!) and spacious, super-high ceilings, large room, bed, sofa.
LOVED all the bang and olufsen, molten brown products, fresh fruit etc etc, just great.
(I saw someone else commented on the heat in the rooms, the heating was high when we arrived, - we just turned it down to the temperature we wanted, which was perfect for us.)
We had great cocktails in the bar, loved the caramel souffle!
Absolutley can not fault the hotel, we loved it, our room was very romantic and tranquil, and great for shopping etc on the Kings Rd.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank MrsBGZDC
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for posting such a glowing review.
I am delighted that Blakes was able to exceed the high expectations that we promise and aim to deliver to all our guests. I have already passed your comments to all departments and they very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Kind Regards

Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

What started off as an amazing experience at Blakes hotel, didn't end on the same high.

The good parts:

When my girlfriend and I checked in, we were advised that we'd got an upgrade (woop) and ended up in the "top suite". The impression you get when you walk into the room is breathtaking, it's fit for a king and more like a luxury 1 bedroom apartment than a hotel room. Sadly, the stunning decor is where it ends.

The bad parts:

After a meal and a few drinks, we got back and the room was awfully hot, so hot my girlfriend said she felt sick. We soon figured out the reason for the unbearable heat and it was because the room was set to 28 degrees, with all the windows closed. It was dreadful.

We turned down the thermostat and waited, it started to get cooler, but after an hour, it was still not comfortable at all. We opened a window above our bed in a bid to cool the room, but it was onto a walkway / courtyard and a smell of cigarette smoke became noticeable almost immediately. Furthermore, the air-con machines were very close to the window so there was an uncomfortable and deep humming. Finally, we could hear talking nearby as it was a walkway and a public area, so we felt "exposed" by leaving the window open as it sounded like people were almost just outside the room As a result, we had to close the window and the room almost immediately started to become awfully hot once more.

HOWEVER -- the absolute worst part of the room was the bed. While it looked great, it was ridiculously soft / worn-out, especially in the middle of the bed.
This meant that as you relaxed and dozed off to sleep, you would roll or slide into one another, you'd move off again, but in order not to fall towards each other, you had to almost keep some tension in your body. My girlfriend and I had literally no sleep that night and after getting 15 minutes sleep we had to get up. The feeling we had was terrible, a headache from all the heat and no sleep and felt like we had a bad dose of the flu with our headaches, fuzzy heads and sore eyes.

I complained gently at reception and before I told the lady the issue, she said "was it because the bed was too soft"? So the hotel is aware of the problems. I said "yes" and explained all the various small issues on-top of the bad bed and sleep. She replied with "Well, I'll raise it with management and we'll get the bed looked at, so when you come again, it will be resolved".
However, I won't be staying again in the hope that they have fixed the bed.

I was rather irked by their attitude, not that it was bad, but when your bill is £600 ($1000) for the night, you kind of expect them to show a gesture of good faith and do more than "I'll see that we look at it when you come and spend more of your money".

I took the trouble to write to Blakes hotel (email), listing all the problems a few days in a reasonable manner. THEY DIDN'T REPLY.

Leaving negative reviews in public like this is harsh, but when you're staying in one of the most expensive hotels in London and complain about a serious issue (You're supposed to leave feeling rested -- not pissed off right?) and the the hotel just ignores an official complaint, one is duty bound to let other people know that this is poor value for money.

Room Tip: Avoid the top room at all costs, if not the whole hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank happytraveller966
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Chris,

I am very sorry that we failed miserably in looking after you. I did actually reply to your original email on the 17th of February which you must not have received.I have since tried to contact you to ensure that we try our upmost in restoring your faith in the hotel and await your reply.

All your points have been noted and the necessary actions have been taken. Please do contact me directly on julian@blakeshotels.com or even better on 02076706701.

We are only here to please and to exceed your expectations.

Best regards

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

Room was swelteringly hot even with window open. Header board shelf of bed was at pillow level meaning you could turn over in bed and bang head. Felt uncomfortable mainly due to heat.. Couldn't wait to check out. Recommend Firmdale hotels no. 16 over this anytime. Don't think I'll be back.

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank Nikinokinoo
I am sorry about the hot room could I please ask you to contact me so that I can personally apologise and check the room in which you stayed, my telephone number is 0207 670 6701 or my email is julian@blakeshotels.com

Thank you, would very much like to prove to you that we can do alot better, I will make sure that I check out the competition this week.

Best regards

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

We really enjoyed our 1 night Valentines early special stay this Saturday.

We agree with many of the opinions here – the hotel was special from the moment you step into
The small feel , dark with complimentary colours set it apart – and it has very cosy feel.
The smell of oranges was everywhere in Reception as they were using them to naturally freshen up the area.

We stayed at room 502 [lux double] in the annexe and this is the room that my partner requested.
My partner loved the décor and said she would have her bedroom in exactly the same style.
The walls were dark padded velour and the colours were all carefully suited to the room.
Lighting was discrete – romantic 100 %

Everything worked just fine – although we did agree with other users points that – many things in the room were worn and perhaps not at their best – but still functioning .
You will notice the ceiling lights look they are falling out of the mountings however they aren’t

The room has seen better days and I think it will be the same of other rooms – things need a refurbish – the whole hotel does !
502 is on ground floor with a window that opens out on to quiet private courtyard.

Id did find the bathroom far too cold though – huge wall mounted large heating rail

But the bathroom tiles were freezing – no room slippers provided.
The bath tub was hand made as was the the covering for it.
No matter me taking the towels of the rail for duration of stay it never warmed up in bathroom!

There was one of the B&O Ipad docks – which I was able to mount and play music from my Ipad
Good sound but it too had seen better days ! Looks like someone had dropped it !

We had a afternoon turn down service which was good as they left some free water.

Only 1 dressing gown

These are all things we noticed but weren’t bothered to correct as we were there for only one night and out for dinner as well.

Final note – be aware if you have a ground floor room the room above us was noisy because of late night rolling in and movement – very amplified when your directly under their living space as they are walking about on wooden floors

It woke me up many a time as they seemed to be quite active .
Even woke my partner up.

We had set lunch in the restaurant – again another intimate area – small and cosy apart from a big drafty due to the main entrance to hotel and the stair down to the restaurant in same area – and cold air travels down !

The service was very good though – we sat and then got moved very politely to the Chinese room when partner was cold.

The food we had was actually very good – didn’t come out like it would be but it was tasty

I had the salmon – nicely lightly smoked – and a bread and butter sandwich – lol –
never had that before looked very kind of non chefy – but worked well.
Partner had prawn satay sticks – interesting take – and nice – disappointed the prawns weren’t de-veined .

Main I had the lemon and thyme chicken – nice not amazing
She had the rare tuna seared steak with miso mustard – interesting take.
Again didn’t look great but tasted great .

The set deserts didn’t excite us so none ordered.

Bottom line – we wouldn’t missing out dinner here.
There are a few restaurant’s within 5 mins walking but there seems to be lack of choice nearby
Be warned lots of Indian restaurant’s nearby but not a lot else

We had drinks at the bar – and expensive but standard prices for London - £13 approx per cocktail
Lots of tasty prawn crackers and nibbles to have for free though and the prawn crackers dangerously Moorish.

The bar is tiny – the overflow is the restaurant and the Chinese room
We were there early and the seating quickly filled up after us.

I tried the foursquare reader tips of the Chinese mojito – which was very nice and the honey made cocktail with absinthe – potent and tasty - you should try one or the other if your adventurous

Service was great.

Room Tip: 502 is in annexe - its a lux double - may have issues with room floor above and noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
16 Thank MoOriginal
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Firstly, I'd like to thank you for writing this detailed review. I am so pleased to hear you were able to experience the unique feel the hotel has to offer, and that you were able to stay in your requested room, 502, which is in our mews and very quiet.

Concerning the 'worn down' feel you have mentioned, the hotel is putting finishing touches to the renovation that commenced early in 2011. The Luxury Double room that you and your partner experienced is due to be renovated next month, with heated bathroom floor, centralised dimmer switches, new tiles, an upgraded bathroom, a fresh carpet and furnishings. Along with the refurbishment, the rooms will see updated B&O televisions and sound systems throughout.

I am sorry about the slippers, they are black slippers on the black shelf of the wardrobe, we will place them in white slipper bags and hang them from hangers in future. Of course there should be two bathrobes in each room and we will ensure that this is the case.

I was saddened to read you did not find the food presented up to a high standard, however I'm glad you enjoyed the Tuna and the Chicken and lemon - both popular choices of which we gain fantastic feedback.

We are here to please and exceed your expectations, please do contact me directly next time that you would like to stay and I will ensure that we deliver.

Best regards,