“Location”

Strand Palace Hotel
Ranked #451 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This hotel has one of the best location in London. Close to Covent Garden, the Embankment etc. Easy to get from Waterloo or Victoria.
Staff very friendly and efficient
The double room that we were allocated on the 2nd floor was standard size
Bed was only 4ft 6in and very hard
Bathroom needed a little TLC

Room Tip: Maybe worth paying the extra for a Kingsize bed
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 April 2012

The Strand is in an excellent location and one can walk to most major attraction. The rooms tended to be a bit small, but that is the norm for London. I had an executive room and it was enough room. The bed was comfortable, the room well-appointed, and clean. There was only one of each towel, which was a small inconvenience.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Just stayed at the Strand with a group of Friends. The good points about the hotel are: Excellent Location right next to Covent Garden, all of the inside has now been completely refurished so everthing is new and clean, with bright bathrooms. Rooms are on the smallish side, but then again so are a lot of others in London. Nice friendly cocktail bar.
Slight negatives were: You had to pay when you checked in rather than when you leave, which I have never known before. There is no air conditioning in the rooms - and they were quite warm. This did'nt really affect us as we went on quite a cold weekend and could have the windows open - but I would'nt stay in the summer! You had to pay for luggage storage - only £2 per bag, but a bit cheeky I think this really should be free! We ate breakfast out, but had you wanted to eat in the hotel you would have had to queue. Would I stay again - yes quite probably.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I have been staying at this hotel on visits to London with my wife since we married almost forty years ago. It was always our first choice, particularly with its proximity to theatre and restaurants . We have recommended it to our friends on many occasions.

I have just returned from a two night stay there and will not be returning. We took an Executive Room whichv was not good value considering the extra amount we were charged above the Club Room rate. For two specific examples of this- There was no shower cap provided and no refrigerator. We had to call reception for both these items and in the case of the refrigerator. it was not working.

However, my main criticism of the hotel concerns the fact that in neither the Mask Bar nor the Lounge Bar was there any draught beer available. In all my previous stays in the hotel there was draught beer available. When I complained about this I was told that this was a decision of management. To my mind a functioning bar is essential to any establishment which calls itself a hotel, particularly one which purports to cater for tourist visitors who visit London for thje attractions. I have no doubt that the absence of draught beer is as a result of some accountant's advice. The result is two sad and soulless bars which are offputting. I had looked forward to a few pints in the bar as in days of old. Sadly, it would seem people of my vintage are no longer welcome in this hotel which has lost its soul.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Strand Palace. I do apologise that there was no shower cap in your room. This must have been an oversight by our housekeeping department who have been made aware of your review. Regarding the refrigerator none of our rooms have them, and indeed have never had them, and although we seem to have supplied one, i agree it is unacceptable that it did not work. Regarding draught beer, we have not been serving this for some three years now, and have received very few complaints due to the extensive selection of bottled beers we stock. It was also perceived and has proved to be the case that draught beer is rarely requested in our cocktail bar. I apologise that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations, and assure that we welcome customers of all 'vintages' and can confirm that our accountant had no input in the decision to not sell draught beer in either of our busy and popular bars.

Regards,
David

Reviewed 15 April 2012

I have stayed in Strand Palace Hotel several times. The reason why I chose it was primarily its location. It is 5 minutes away fom Trafalgar/Covent Garden. However, you should bear in mind that rooms are very small. I suppose it is normal for London, but when you pay almost 200 pounds per night, you expect a decent size room, well, not in Strand Palace Hotel. I could hardly fit my suitcase in the room! The rooms do not seem to have adequate conditioning level. Customer service was good, check-in was easy. There is no swimming pool or fitness centre in the hotel, but if you go to the reception they will give you a pass/ ticket to the health centre across the road, which is free bonus

Room Tip: No swimming pool or fitness centre
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple