12,148 results
All reviews covent garden wooden shutters gin palace great location trafalgar square single room charing cross station west end lounge bar executive room theatre land central location rooms are small london eye full english london hotel afternoon tea
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I have been staying at this hotel on visits to London with my wife since we married almost forty years ago. It was always our first choice, particularly with its proximity to theatre and restaurants . We have recommended it to our friends on many occasions.

I have just returned from a two night stay there and will not be returning. We took an Executive Room whichv was not good value considering the extra amount we were charged above the Club Room rate. For two specific examples of this- There was no shower cap provided and no refrigerator. We had to call reception for both these items and in the case of the refrigerator. it was not working.

However, my main criticism of the hotel concerns the fact that in neither the Mask Bar nor the Lounge Bar was there any draught beer available. In all my previous stays in the hotel there was draught beer available. When I complained about this I was told that this was a decision of management. To my mind a functioning bar is essential to any establishment which calls itself a hotel, particularly one which purports to cater for tourist visitors who visit London for thje attractions. I have no doubt that the absence of draught beer is as a result of some accountant's advice. The result is two sad and soulless bars which are offputting. I had looked forward to a few pints in the bar as in days of old. Sadly, it would seem people of my vintage are no longer welcome in this hotel which has lost its soul.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Strand Palace. I do apologise that there was no shower cap in your room. This must have been an oversight by our housekeeping department who have been made aware of your review. Regarding the refrigerator none of our rooms have them, and indeed have never had them, and although we seem to have supplied one, i agree it is unacceptable that it did not work. Regarding draught beer, we have not been serving this for some three years now, and have received very few complaints due to the extensive selection of bottled beers we stock. It was also perceived and has proved to be the case that draught beer is rarely requested in our cocktail bar. I apologise that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations, and assure that we welcome customers of all 'vintages' and can confirm that our accountant had no input in the decision to not sell draught beer in either of our busy and popular bars.

Regards,
David

Reviewed 15 April 2012

I have stayed in Strand Palace Hotel several times. The reason why I chose it was primarily its location. It is 5 minutes away fom Trafalgar/Covent Garden. However, you should bear in mind that rooms are very small. I suppose it is normal for London, but when you pay almost 200 pounds per night, you expect a decent size room, well, not in Strand Palace Hotel. I could hardly fit my suitcase in the room! The rooms do not seem to have adequate conditioning level. Customer service was good, check-in was easy. There is no swimming pool or fitness centre in the hotel, but if you go to the reception they will give you a pass/ ticket to the health centre across the road, which is free bonus

Room Tip: No swimming pool or fitness centre
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2012

This was our second visit to the Strand Palace in London and again it was everything that we needed.

We stayed for 2 nights during the Easter holidays with my fiance and 9 year old daughter. We had a wonderful time in London visiting the sights and the Strand Palace gave us everything we needed. The room was a large double with a sofa bed for our daughter and was perfect for our short stay. We did not spend alot of time at the hotel as we were up and out early (an excited 9 year old wakes early!!) but the time we did spend there was very enjoyable and comfortable. The room was very clean and although there was no bath the very large shower was sufficient for us as a family of 3.

There were building works being carried out while we were there but we were informed of this on arrival and apart from hearing some banging outside we were not inconvenienced as it did not start until after 9 am.

I would recommend this hotel for families, business and shopping breaks as it caters very well for short visits.

I look forward to booking again in the near future!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Stayed at the hotel several times in 2011 for business.
Nice hotel at a good location - Covent Garden.
Rooms are ok and the service is good. pricing is good - sub 200 pounds year round.
Biggest issue for me was that there is no air conditioning in the room, which made it unusable for me as summer kicked in (May period and onward).

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My second stay here. Check in was painless, nicely done. Room is clean and tidy. Everything we need as we only sleep in the room when in London. We eat and drank in the hotel and the service is attentive, and most of all friendly which in a hotel of this size is not always to be found. The late night bar service was better than any ive come across, once again friendly and attentive. Its a great hotel with a great team.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple