Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch
USD 215*
USD 192*
Hilton
  • Room Service
London House Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
USD 107*
  • Room Service
USD 383*
USD 179*
Orbitz.com
Park Grand London Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
USD 113*
USD 437*
Hotwire.com
  • Pool
3,403 results
All reviewsold street tube stationsteam roomtheatre breaktea and coffeegood nights sleepfull englishwest endtaxisshoreditch
Reviewed 5 February 2011

Stayed for 2 nights having booked and pre-paid, this reduced the room rate from £166 per night excluding breakfast to £95.00 including breakfast. Had I paid £166 per night I would have been disappointed, however for the price the Thistle offered very good value for money. Reception staff are good, there was a queue when I checked in but more staff were called and the queue was dealt with efficiently. Room furnishings were a little tired but overall clean and functional. I liked the iron / trouser press combo and the in room fridge, why every 4 star hotel don’t offer these basics is beyond me. Bathroom was clean but in need of updating otherwise ok. I didn’t use any of the leisure facilities. Food was good, room service quick and polite. This is not my favourite London hotel but for the price you can’t complain

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 February 2011

I was in the annex, shoddy decor, old fashioned room, door had a very bad lock and no chain which was worrying, the shower only had one temperature-scolding. The whole place needs refurbishment, although reception area was nice. I was there on business but if I had paid for the room myself I would have moved elsewhere. Stay in a premier inn instead, the rooms here are in a 1980s timewarp.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 31 January 2011

The reception area looks very nice and modern and the staff were very helpful and polite - however I always have concerns in a hotel when your room is in another building and you have to go back outside to get to it - in my experience these rooms are never as good as those in the central/main complex.
This was again true in this case, the room was very small indeed - there were holes in the carpet and the room was very old fashioned. Bathroom was basic and cramped - the shower was ok.
It was London and it was business so I was only in and out, of which I was very grateful, because if I had been paying myself and visiting London for fun it would not have been suitable. As a base for sleep and shower it is just about acceptable - however I will not return if I can avoid it.

2  Thank McKitties
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Ok at best - certainly no too bad!

I booked this hotel primarliy on price but I was also enticed by their website and amenties which include a pool and fitness centre, neither of which i had time to use and my "standard" room was actually in the opposite annex......

Sub-standard would be a better description. Very tired and dated, Old carpet. Exposed plumbing at skirting level in the bedroom and most peculiar, the toliet roll holder was positioned on the wall OPPOSITE the WC, barely within reach. Narrow cooridors with awckward angles. Paper thin walls. Poor towels. Depressing decor, highlighted by the huge wall mounted flatscreen TV which stood out in stark contrast as the only modern amenity in th room.

This place flatters to decieve. The reception, bar and restaraunt areas in the main hotel look impressive on arrival, as does the foyer of the annex but the moment you step into the lift you know you're gonna be let down, even if you're going up!

In fairness the staff are proffessional, early check in was painless, directions to the tube were perfect and wifi advice was honest and accurate. Buy a Bt Freezone voucher for 24hrs @ £10 instead of the vouchers from recption. Fast hassle free access.

The best thing about this hotel was the price, £69 per nite. I'm sure that they have better but more expensive rooms, in which case I'd recommend you stay elswhere unless you're on a really tight budget. London hotels are outrageously expensive and this a low cost option.

It's not the best for transfer to the Emerates Stadium. Old Street to Kings Cross and onward to Highbury is impossible during rush hour to make 7.45 mid-week kick-off. Allow plenty of time for that journey. I left the hotl shortly at 18.15 and just about made it. the Gunners wrapped up the semi-final against Ipswhich 2nd leg 3-0 with 5 mins to spare so i could duck out early and the return jounry was less than half an hour!

The immediate vicinty of the hotel is none to welcoming either, surrounded by residential tower blocks but it is only a short distance over-land to Islington - £3 taxi fair. I reckon you could walk this direct route in 15-20mins.

For the price of an above standard room at this hotel you'll get better value elsewhere!

Jurys Inn for me in future!

MP!

1  Thank MP1Dublin
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Stayed two nights for a conference. Reception area was welcoming and that was a relief because the area immediately around the hotel is not London at its best. My room was in the annex, and although the furniture was not new, the room and bathroom were a nice size, and the flat screen TV was good. The window seemed to let in a draught, but closing the curtains solved that. There was plenty of hot water for a shower, and tea and coffee making facilities were provided. Sleep quality was good, though by the time I got up at 7am some traffic noise was noticeable. Breakfast in the main building was quire good and was also offered refills of coffee. I paid 99 pounds per night including breakfast and i would say that it is a good deal. Don´t forget that you have free use of gym and sauna falcilities. The only disadvantage of this hotel is that it is not really close to an underground station and it is not a very touritsy area. It was, however, handy for where I wanted to be. For a really cheap meal you could try Dixi Chicken across the road, and there are also a number of pubs around, but you have to walk a bit to get to Old Street where there is more choice.

1  Thank jag552