3,705 results
All reviews old street tube station steam room theatre break tea and coffee breakfast was excellent good nights sleep full english west end shoreditch pubs
Reviewed 3 January 2013

The reception area looks very well kept but once you get into the corridors you realise that the hotel is a little worn. Since we didn't eat at the hotel the only contact we had with the staff was when checking in and the lady who we saw was very friendly.
We were attending an event so had booked the hotel purely as somewhere to sleep that night, rather than for the quality of the hotel itself. I had always thought Thistle were supposed to be a posh chain but I'd say the quality of the room was slightly lower than a decent Travelodge. The furnishings were all a little worn, the room was tiny (not really a problem for us) but what was an issue were the very thin walls. We could hear everything in the adjacent rooms. Also the size of the room meant that the bed was in the corner so if you are a couple one of you will have to climb over the other to get in and out of bed.
Overall no major complaints - it served its purpose as a place to stay and the staff we saw were lovely, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who was going to spend any time in their room. We have stayed in much nicer hotels in London for the same money.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank centralscrutiniser
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

Dear Centralscrutiniser
Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle city Barbican
I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us . The hotel is a little dated in decor but over the last six months we have been updating this , with 100 rooms in our front building being redecorated , 167 rooms had new soft furnishings such as curtains, bed throws and cushions , as well as new carpets in many areas and this will be continuing .
Thank you for your feedback .

Reviewed 3 January 2013

I stayed at the Thistle City Barbican for two nights in December 2012. Three of us shared a very cramped room, there wasn't much storage space, only the one wardrobe and definitely not enough power sockets for 3 girls! (only two sockets in the room) The wardrobe doors were broken but this wasn't a major problem. Saying that, we were part of a group and other friends were in a much bigger 3 bed room so if there are 3 of you it may be worth requesting the bigger room!
On a high note the food was very nice (both at breakfast and evening meals) and the spa was quite small but still nice and relaxing.
For two nights over the weekend we only paid £101 each which I didn't think was too bad as London prices go, however the hotel was a bit of a walk to the nearest tube station.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Dear OBK10
thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your very positive comments in regards to breakfast and dinner , which I will pass on to the Chef.
Thank you for your feedback and recommendation.
Happy new Year

Reviewed 3 January 2013

We stayed here fom 30/12/12 until 02/01/13 we read reviews off here and it wasn't a complete horror story ! Reception area is nice but staff seemed uninterested in checking us in at first although when we did it was done smoothly. Our room was on the sixth floor so I was looking forward to the view only to be disappointed as it was out on to a wall ! The room itself was fine in size for the three of us and as we only intended to sleep and shower in it it served its purpose on this occasion.the cleanliness of the room was disappointing to say the least and following a full day out to return to a room that had not been cleaned was disappointing ! A quick visit to reception to report this and that the lock on our room door was faulty and both were rectified promptly and a complimentary drink to boot ! The room had obviously not been cleaned properly as on our return later that evening we were greeted with a strong smell of bleach in the bathroom which was not present before !!! I was very cross that someone had been back into our room having clearly not done their job right in the first place ! The dusting of the room was clearly not done either and having worked in the hotel business in years gone by I expect standards and they are lacking here perhaps some further staff training is needed ???The room needed a bit of TLC to say the lease. The pillows in the room were amazing ! The location is fine in a quiet residential area approx 10 mins walk to Angel tube/ bus stops to west end both of which we used as a starting point of our journey. Just to add we had two fabulous meals at local Islington restaurants Meat People and Cafe la Divina !

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Scranman14

Dear Scranman14
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thsitle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read that overall you had a good stay in London over the new year period and that you enjoyed the location of the hotel
I was sorry to read thta your room had not been service correctly and for this I do apologise .
Thank you for your feedback which we tale seriously and will act upon

Reviewed 3 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night for new years eve, booked directly with the hotel and paid £142 for a deluxe king size room. After hours of last minute searching for a central hotel in London on new years eve this was good value. Arrived by train at Euston and got on the northern line to old street station only 3 stops away . Uses Google maps to find the walking route to hotel which states a 10min walk would say it took less though. Hotel is large in size nice clean spacious reception area with separate concierge desk. Check in was quick and easy payment made on check in. We were situated on the 5th floor the view from the room was typically buildings. Room size was adequate not too small. 2 chairs small table wardrobe with iron and board safe inside. There is a fridge in the room but you have to ask if you want it stocked as a mini bar. The large king size bed is actually made up of 2 single beds but still very comfy and couldn't tell at first. Bathroom is also adequate size large bath tub with shower over, tiled floors, heated towel rail and shaver point and some mini thistle toiletries. Room was very clean simple decor. Location of the hotel is in a residential area but there's mini shops nearby and the usual cafes some clubs and restaurants nearby. We ended up walking back from Trafalgar square to the hotel instead of getting on a busy tube took just under an hour and that was with getting stuck in crowds as well nice scenic route through a part of London I'd not seen before. Overall if I couldn't find a more central hotel for more value I'd definitely consider staying here again in the future.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank babyamy333

Dear Babyamy333
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and would return .
Thank you for your feed back and recommendation
Jane and team .

Reviewed 1 January 2013

Was very happy paying £80 for a Saturday stay, that included use of the facilities at no extra cost. Made use of the spa which helped me to relax for a night out. Would stay again.

The bath was rather small as was the bathroom itself. The room was spacious although the window had some sort of damage since I could not look out the window to see anything clearly.

My surprise is its location. Its bang in the middle of a council estate, which I found rather odd.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Dear Spirited traveller68
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read thta you enjoyed your stay and would return.
Thank you for your feedback and recommendation