3,697 results
All reviews old street tube station steam room theatre break tea and coffee breakfast was excellent good nights sleep full english west end shoreditch pubs
Reviewed 6 November 2012

The hotel was fine no complaints and near to Moorfields eye hospital where my daughter and I were going but ---- the restaurant on site was far to over priced for the food that was served. For example at lunch time we had a bowl of soup which came with half a slice of bread each and one bottle of water, surcharge was added and it cost nearly £18 !!!! We swam in the pool which was lovely, there was no luxery but all was clean and adequate, but although there was wifi it had to be paid for. I would go again but would not eat in.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

Dear Joyce W
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and would return, but disappointed that you did not feel that your lunch was value for money. We do add a service charge to the bill but this is discretionary , I am sorry this would stop you from eating in the hotel again.
Thank you for your feedback which we take seriously and I look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion,
Jane and team

Reviewed 3 November 2012

group; 2 adults, 16 year old, 14, 4 and a 19 month old.
Date stayed, 31/10/12-2/11/12
We booked on 26th October.
We are foster carers and didn't know the 4 year old was coming until 29th October! Phoning the hotel they immediately accommodated our situation and put a camp bed in the room for him at no extra charge.
The hotel;
Is fantastic, with vey polite, professional, pleasing staff.
The decor of the reception is great, the lifts, corridors , and all public areas is great..
Our 2 rooms were very spacious, clean, welcoming, fresh. In our twin room, we had a travel cot, and a camp bed ( for the 4yr) and still all 6 of us could quite happily sit in there for an hour or two.
The health club had an excellent gym, sauna, pool etc. (unlike a previous report, the water was not murky.,.,,,perhaps that woman had swam through her own p....)
The decor in the rooms is great, depending on taste, but we thought totally acceptable.
We didn't have any food there as most of our time was spent out in London, but what we did see looked fantastic.
The down sides;
It is in a residential area, that some might find intimidating after dark. Look at our age group above and we didn't. Anywhere different/strange, always exercise caution and you will be fine. It's just not in the centre of London ....where you are more likely to be mugged!
Some have said it's a long way from the tube....really? I took 6minutes at a brisk pace to Old Street, our 4year old (after spending 8 hours walking around London), took 11 minutes to get back one evening!
There ARE things to do around there, try an English pub. There are two within 200 yards that are very friendly.
We also saw a "stage door"sign to a theatre close by, but as we are not interested in plays, we didn't bother finding put about it.
Another, perhaps, downside to the place is, when you are there, where is it?
We walked up one side and thought it was the back, went down another and thought the same, walked up the next side and realised the entrance is in the middle of two joined buildings.
A hint, perhaps smokers could be provided for a bit better, me being one and I saw loads. People who spend £30 a day parking their cars, do not want to see a load of us smoking around their cars...........just a thought.
But a brilliant hotel, thank you all so much!
And F to the complete and utter snobs.

Plus sides:
Brilliant. Fantastic stay THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Room Tip: It is a bloody brilliant Hotel, not the savoy, but it will soon come close.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Trooper666
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Dear Trooper666
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle Barbican
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that we could accommodate your needs .
jane and team

Reviewed 2 November 2012

....as i think that the Hotel Manager, Jane, is trying hard to improve the ratings of the place.... So: the service, which is what I assume she can control, was very good: polite, efficient, fast, and the room clean.
Everything else - ie the hotel " hardware" - was pretty bad, even for a 3 star hotel. I had a room in the old building: first of all, it was very frustrating to get to the room, as you need to walk through the renovated area, with nice carpets and a nice smell, to then go through the smelly staircase and onto the old wing. The room was tiny, the bathroom tiles broken, the carpet very old, the wall paper crumbling......the bed was comfortable enough, but that - unfortunately - was about all... Location is also not very good, as many before me have pointed out. All in all, not a hotel i wold want to go back to....

Room Tip: ask for a room in the renovated part of the building
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank whiterabbitjb
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Dear Whiterabbitjb
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Thistle City Barbican.
I am really sorry that you were disappointed with the hotel . We are doing our utmost to ensure the hotel meets people expectations and have recently redecorated many of our rooms but do have a way to go.
I was very pleased to read that you found the team friendly and efficent and most importantly the rooms clean and I will share your positive comments with them.
If on a future occasion you would reconsider returning to the hotel , please contact me directly so I can arrange a reservation for you at the best available rate at the time of booking in one of our redecorated rooms
Kind regards Jane and team

Reviewed 31 October 2012

Dear Sir /Madam,

This is with reference to the above vacancy advertised on your website. Please find attached a copy of my curriculum vitae for your kind consideration.

I have 4 years of Retail and customer service experience with KFC, where, my responsibilities, inter alia, included managing the collection of deliveries, picking and sorting stock deliveries, ensuring that required products are dispatched to the correct unit in a timely manner, maintenance of stock room, cash handling (Working on tills accurately), dealing face to face with diverse range of customers, providing assistance to customers and managing staff on some level and working towards achieving target driving sales.

I believe I am a very hard working individual, who would go to any length to deliver the services expected of him. I would like to add here that if given an opportunity, I am very confident that I would be able to demonstrate why I would be the ideal option for this vacancy.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank abdul r

Dear Abdul R
Thank you for your interest in the Thistle City Barbican
On our main Thistle website we do have a careers link I would suggest that you re-send your details through this channel.
Jane

Reviewed 31 October 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights and it was great. Quick and easy check in, polite and friendly staff. Great sized bedroom and bathroom for a city hotel (very clean), as regular travellors on a budget we was very pleased with this hotel. Great bonus of having free access to the leisure facilities we used the pool, jacuzzi and steam room and was provided with free towels and lock for the lockers in changing room. We got a great deal through a hotel comparison site and at £120 for 2 nights more than worth the money. Great location, easy access to all areas of london by tube, closest station only 10 min walk either Angel st station or old st station. We visited battersea and camden market with no problem from the hotel location. We didnt eat or drink in the hotel so no comment about that but Would advise book room only as breakfast over priced at £15 pp. We walked into town 10 mins away and ate at Wetherspoons full english for only £3. Definately will stay there again next time in london. Being really picking only fault can say was the room was very hot at night.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear bax767
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.
Thank you for your feedback and recommendation.
Jane and team