3,760 results
All reviews old street tube station steam room theatre break bit dated tea and coffee breakfast was excellent full english good nights sleep west end shoreditch pubs
Reviewed 5 October 2012

This was the first time we got to enjoy a double bed at a London hotel. The bed was soft and comfortable, the bathroom was antiquated but adequate. The breakfast was huge and varied. We stayed an entire week. The only negative side was the trip from the hotel to the tube station. It was quite a long trek. I won't stay here again just because of its location, but otherwise a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Champagne F
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Dear Champagne F
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican.
I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel.
Thank you for your positive feedback and your recommendation .
Jane and team.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

not at all impressed with this hotel.
The first night of my stay i was not in the main building.When i got in the room the heating was on full blast.i turned the radiator of and opened the windows.The room was not what you would expect at a thistle hotel in need of up dating it was next to the lift and stairs so there was a lot of noise from the door banging and the lift no air conditioning in the room and you have to pay for Wifi apart from you can have 30 minutes free if they remember to give you log on details which they forgot to do with me.
I had a disturbed sleep with the noise and the heat in the room even with the heating turned off.
I went to reception in the morning and told them i was checking out because of the noise and no A C they them offered me a room change into the main building a room with air conditioning which i accepted and left my luggage for them to move.
When i returned in the evening i got my pass for my room and asked if my luggage was there and they told me the conceerge would bring it up i told them i needed it in a hurry as i was going out i had to ring reception after 10 minutes as there was no sign of my luggage after another 5 minutes it turned up.
The room was much better than the first one and bigger very comfertable and up to date decor and carpet.
When i returned after my night out and went to the room the swipe card would not work so i had to trail down to reception to sort it out when i told them that this does'nt happen at the premier inn where i will be staying in future.
The two buildings are like 1st class and 2nd class.
an overall bad experiance.
OH and premier inn have a good night sleep policy where they refund you if you have a disturbed sleep.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank weegram

Dear Weegram

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I was very disappointed to read your comments in regards to your stay and I am very sorry to read that you will not be returning to us .Our rooms are a little dated in places and our standard accommodation does not have air conditioning , but you should still be able to have a comfortable nights stay , we should ensure the temperature of the room is ambient before the next guest arrives .I was pleased to read that your second room was more comfortable .
Thank you for your constructive feed back .
Jane and team

Ok, where to start.

When you walk in it looks nice and clean. However very quickly the issues appear. Reception was manic, people everywhere.

I sat down and ordered a ham sandwich costing me nearly £10. When it arrived the bread was dry like toast and the ham, well one slice of wafer thin ham was all i got. The person i was with ordered a fish finger sandwich. What it should be named was 'honey i shrunk the sandwich' it was tiny. When my sandwich did arrive for a second time i now had a smaller sandwich, with the contents of my old sandwich in it. This bread was also stale! The chips also awful and served in a pretentious mini chip fryer. I wasn't the only table sending food back as well.

Once the chaos of the reception settled i collected my key which didn't work when i got to the room. When i went back to reception i was told sternly that it was active. Whilst i was explaining it may be active but it won't work many more arrived with the same complaint, they were also told that they were active cards!

The rooms are small, hot and horrible. The service was poor and they don't even have a toothbrush if you forget one!

Avoid at all costs for the money you could get something far nicer.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank pajp1000
Reviewed 3 October 2012

This hotel the worst hotel i have been so far during my business trip. it is a very old hotel with small and shabby rooms. There is alwys a very long queue in front of the reception. It is not worth the money!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank sandra s
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Dear Sandra S
Thank you for completing a review of the Thistle City Barbican and for your comments .
I am really sorry to read that that you were unhappy with the hotel . our room are a little dated in décor , which we are currently addressing and have just completed the redecoration of 100 rooms .At peak check in and check out times our reception desk is very busy , but we always ensure that our reception desk is fully manned and do our upmost to address any queues as quickly as possible .Our pricing is done in line with our 3star competitors and also in line with booking demand ,it is disappointing that you did not feel it was value for money.
Thank you for your feedback.
jane and team.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

I am currently staying at this Hotel for 3 nights on business. I note another reviewer mentioned this room 1636 and I agree it is a tired and shabby 2* at best. There is a musty smell to the place, no air con and no heating either as the radiators don't work. Good job it isn't 2 degrees colder. The location is awful As a female traveller I am forced to pay the exorbitant service charges for their average food as I wouldn't dare set foot outside alone after dark. At any price I wouldn't stay here again , at £125 per night it is a disgrace

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Wendy F

Dear Wendy V
Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle City Barbican . I am really sorry that you are unhappy with your room and I will ask one of my team to contact you accordingly .
Jane