“Good, Clean stay”

Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch
Ranked #565 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I stayed at the Thistle Barbican for 2 nights during July 2012 for business trip. The hotel entrance is off road and can be missed on the first instance. Reception staff were quick to check in. Small upgrade offered for small fee on arrival. 30 mins free Wi-Fi availalbe if you sign up to their signature update club. Room was a double. Not sure if it was standard but it was on the 2nd floor and spacious. Bathroom was clean and towels changed if left in bath. No Mini Bar and trouser press and iron did not work, although I did notice another iron in the cuboard towards the end of my stay. Pool, gym and sauna availalbe. I did not use these but notices the pool was not large at all. TV in room was old and could do with a upgrade. LCD are standard in most hotels these days. Restuarant service/food was OK. Menu was full and not cheap. I had to chase my main order as it took nearly 40 mins to arrive. Breakfast was good service was better then evening team. I orderd food to the room for my last nights stay. Food was poor not worth the price tag at all. I think it was meant to be Lamb kofta's but really was just dired meatballs in pita bread. Did not eat. Location was OK. not the most desirable area but safe. I walked to my venue (Moorgate). Barbican center is about 10 mins walk, nearest tube about 15mins walk. Location is good if your attending functions in the area. No tube needed. If however you wish to travel wider then consider a hotel nearer a tube station. Shops opposite supply, takeaway foods, newsagents, and cafe if needed. Staff were generally helpfull and polite. Checkout staff stuggled with final invoice - do check your final bill. Overall a good stay for business. Would I stay again? for a bargin price only.

Room Tip: As for upgrade options at checkin. 2nd flloor seems to be good and clean.
2  Thank Bains19
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Dear Bains 19

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican and your very positive comments.
I was very pleased to read that you felt overall it was a good place to stay for business and you would stay again.
Thank you for your constructive feedback.
Jane and team

Write a ReviewReviews (3,303)

Reviewed 18 July 2012

My group and I spent 2 nights in the hotel last July.
We were a group of 22 people.
We had special requirements and the co-operation of the stuff, especially F&B was excellent.
The Concierge and some of the reception stuff were really wonderful!
They made my job easier. Thank you!!!!
I will certainly be happy to be back!

Room Tip: There are differences between the floors - from my experiance, floors #3 and 34 are better then floo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Dear MIra

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican .
I was very pleased to read that your group enjoyed their stay with us and that our food and beverage team were able to assist with your special requirements.
Thank you for your recommendation that I will share with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future .

Reviewed 13 July 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night recently, ideally located for the 'city' and particularly the Barbican being less than a ten minute brisk walk away.

The check in and check out were easy and quick. Staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful and a cot was provided within minutes of asking.

The room was very clean, as was bathroom, with a great shower. The lighting level in the room was a little low but that would be the only criticism.

We had our baby with us and the staff were so helpful and child friendly, particularly the restaurant staff. they even provided warm milk for the baby and an extra little pot of cous cous. we did have to pay for the night time baby milk as would be expected. The fish in the restaurant was good, but I would avoid the ribs on the next visit.

The pool was clean and the spa staff very accommodating.

We booked a little later than planned so had to take a premier executive room, but the extra space was ideal with the baby and for the location, we would not complain too much about the price.

Other points: bar staff helpful, limited on site parking (25 sterling), 30 min walk to King's Cross.

Overall we'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012
Thank Where_2_nextthen?

Dear Where_2_nextthen?

Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and would return.
Your very positive review will be greatly appreciated by the team.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

I stayed for three nights at this hotel for a work course which was located nearby. Upon check-in, the receptionist asked me whether I would like to book breakfast, as it was not included with the room price. I was told that if I booked on check-in, the cost would be £12, whereas on the day would be £17. It seemed like the logical option to book in advance for £12.

Monday morning and the breakfast was way below standard. I helped myself to a couple of mini pastries and they were really dry, tasted as if they were a few days old. Didn't like the look of the cooked breakfast so I decided to try the bread, meat and cheese. I picked up the sliced bread and it was stale. It was extremely poor compared to other hotels I've stayed at recently.

Needless to say I didn't want to have breakfast at the hotel for the next two days, so I complained at the front desk straight away and assumed that it would be no problem to cancel my future two days breakfast. How wrong I was! The girl I spoke to said it should be okay to get a refund and that I just needed to speak to a manager. I found that Syed, the manager, was quite rude to me and unwilling to let me cancel the future breakfasts. I told him that I didn't enjoy the breakfast and he demanded to know exactly what was wrong with it, saying that he had previously had very good feedback on the breakfast there. I then had to have a ten minute debate with him as to why I should be able to cancel the two future breakfasts, he kept saying that the tokens were 'non refundable' and I kept telling him that I didn't want to spend another £24 enduring what might be a repeat of the breakfast I just experienced. I told him that the girl on check-in did not mention at all that the breakfast tokens were non-refundable. I found it absolutely preposterous that he did not offer his apologies and a full refund on all the breakfasts straight away!! Eventually he reluctantly decided to cancel the two future breakfasts and gave me a refund for my first one. That was not the end of it though, when I came to check out the girl on the front desk said "just £12 to pay for breakfast" and I had to speak to Syed again, he mumbled something about communication problems and the girl cancelling it had not understood correctly.

Other things I found about the hotel:

Confusing signs to hotel rooms, tired & grubby looking decor in the rooms, you have to pay for Wifi, located in quite an undesirable area. Restaurant service was really slow, even though it seemed really empty.

Some good things: swimming pool, steam room, sauna and jacuzzi

2  Thank slowloris86

Dear Slowloris86
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I was sorry to read that you had cause to comment on the service you received , in regards to pre-purchased breakfast . Breakfast for us is a key meal of the day and we have many positive comments in regards to our breakfast selection , I am really sorry that on this occasion it fell short of your expectations and that you could not cancel with ease the other vouchers pre-purchased . Please be assured that this will be addressed with the team.
Thank you for your constructive feedback which will be acted upon.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

I had a decent stay in this hotel until I came across a rude manager. I pity the asian working at food counter who had to face the music by the tall fair girl. Assuming that she was the manager around I was left with no one to complaint. Irony was that she wasn't guilty for yelling in front of me and my colleague. The housekeeping maid I came across was really nice. My toilet ran out of tissue but second time in a day and I was really embarrassed to ask again from the same maid. However I her smile made me comfortable ask for. The girl at the reception was excellent in helping me find a thai restaurant to dine at.

Room Tip: Skip the breakfast and that is my opinion
3  Thank Paul K

Dear Paul K

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was very sorry to read that your stay was marred by your observation of the behaviour of one of my breakfast supervisors . There is no excuse for this behaviour and for this I do apologise .One of the key behaviours that our team is taught is I practise teamwork with courtesy and respect and should be one of the daily habits that we live by.Please be assured that your comments will be used in our daily training .However I was very pleased to see that in other areas of the hotel you enjoyed a more positive experience with my team.
Thank you for your feedback and your constructive comments .