USD 271
USD 194
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Park International Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
USD 133
USD 126
  • Bar/Lounge
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 145/night.

Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
USD 230
Rhodes Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
USD 88
Savings alert! 27% below average rates

The price you found is 27% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 121/night.

USD 207
USD 263
USD 233
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn London - Brent Cross(London)(Great Value!)
USD 95
USD 82
Priceline
USD 522
USD 476
3,580 results
All reviewsold street tube stationsteam roomtheatre breaktea and coffeebreakfast was excellentgood nights sleepfull englishwest endshoreditchpubs
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I was here in June of 2012 with a group; the room size was a bit small, but for typical European standards, not tiny. It's a little run down, especially the lobby area of the second building; sure could use new carpet.

Room was adequate. Internet access is very slow, and you have to pay for it. However, I had an account with Boingo mobile, which allowed access for free (at the airport, too!).

Location isn't bad, just a little walk and you're at the Millenium Bridge. There's a pizza place and chicken place right near by that aren't bad; the convenience store across the street is small, but adequate.

Don't miss the bakery/deli around the corner!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ROBnMO
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Dear RoBnMo

Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle Barbican and for your constructive feedback.
You will be pleased to know that we have just finished laying the new lobby carpet in the front building and it looks lovely .
Kind regards
Jane and team

Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed here for two nights. The hotel's in a great spot, a few minutes from Shoreditch and a short walk to the City. The rooms are a little better than a student dorm in terms of size. Since I was on business I took a single room. It was very basic. Other rooms were very close by and in the heat my window was left open, but my sleep wasn't interrupted by any noise.

It seems a lot of schools use this hotel for trips, so I'm not sure what my experience would have been like if I had kids staying on the same floor as me.

My colleague said she found her desk covered with dust.

The reception staff were helpful enough. The man on reception checking me in was being trained so someone was there to keep an eye on him and they stepped in when he was struggling.

The breakfast was prohibitively expensive, especially with better options so close by so we gave that a miss.

The hotel is set back from the main road and the walk back to the hotel in the evening does take you past a few rough looking flats, but we didn't see anything to worry about.

As a budget hotel it does the job.

Room Tip: Try to get an externally-facing room if you can.
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed here for a confence for one night. The check in process was ok; the girl on reception was pleasant and efficient, despite the computer not playing ball and the room was clean but that is all that was good. The room decor was dated - if you're a fan of eighties beige - you won't be disappointed and there were only three sockets in the room - obviously another left over of the eighties when nobody really had much charging up to do whilst on business. Even plugging the kettle in was tricky as you had to stretch the lead down to the plug at floor level unless you were happy to turn the telly off whilst boiling it. Fortunately, you could still have the fan plugged in - yes, fan - as there was no air conditioning in the room, something I would have expected for £132 for a night's stay. The bathroom was clean but was dated and tiny - only just enough room to actually sit on the loo. Unfortunately the hotel isn't even redeemed by its location - it's nowhere near the Barbican and is a pain to get to via tube. Sorry Thistle, but I won't be returning to this hotel or probably any of your others.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Del S
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Quite an average hotel. Even though the reception was not very busy, it took ages to check-in, after which it took almost 15 min to get me a card to access internet; which turned out to be expensive and slow...... To get to the rooms, I needed to go outside and cross the access road. The rooms in this section of the hotel are located in a maize of small corridors. My double room was tiny, just about adequate for one person. It turned out the hotel was being renovated and there was a very strong fresh paint odor. I was too tired to return to reception. When I mentioned it next day, I did immediately receive a discount on the room. So I guess that it was a known problem. Overall, the Thistle City Barbican did not live up to expectations.

2  Thank Dutch_Travel-R
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Dear Crabzilla

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican

I was very disappointed to read that the hotel did not meet you expectations on this occasion and I am sorry that you experienced delays at the front desk on check in and that you found the internet service slow and expensive .
We are currently redecorating a number of the rooms at the hotel and we do try our utmost to ensure the rooms and corridors are well ventilated to alleviate strong odours , I am sorry that we failed on this occasion . In regards to the internet service we are working with our providers BT to upgrade the service , ensuring that our signal is stronger and the service is faster.
Thank you for constructive comments .
Kind regards
Jane and team

Reviewed 5 July 2012

Prompted into writing this review because I just have to agree with everything a friend of mine has already written about this rather seedy and nasty hotel.
Several rooms booked for business, and with every intention of repeating the bookings two or three times over the next few weeks.
It seemed to start off well - I was upgraded to a suite - yippee!
Trouble is, this just meant that I got an extra dose of grubbiness. Stained walls, unsanitary carpet, cracked tiles, and a general air of "Who gives a toss". Electric locks that don't want to open, a bar with a TV so loud that we gave up drinking (gave up drinking?????) and a queue for breakfast that was only marginally shorter than the M1.
And without beating about the bush, - a concierge who conned us into using a mates people carrier being driven by a bloke who was all but falling asleep at the wheel at 8 in the morning, had no idea of the local geography and who drove like Postman Pat after he broke his glasses in the Spec Savers advertisement. Probably uninsured, and definitely a dangerous rip off - It's a bloody disgrace.
A horrible, horrible experience - thank God my company paid for it - I would have begrudged handing over twenty quid, - Don't use this hotel if you have any say in the matter. If you can't get out of it, go sick, take annual leave, or find another job.
(Nice receptionists, though - it's not their fault that they work for shysters.)

3  Thank essex1920