“Old room, ok breakfast and gym room”

Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch
Ranked #585 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 March 2012

The room I got was pretty old, definitely not the top hotel I ever stayed. Breakfast was OK and it was good that the hotel had a free gym for the guests, I haven't used the pool

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 March 2012

Lets get the only downside out of the way first. It's in the middle of nowhere which in London takes some doing. It's a brisk 25-30 minute walk to get to Upper Street in Islington where most of the bars and restaurants (including the Angel Islington which, in case you didnt know is a Weatherspoons) however I'm sure that this is reflected in the price.

The staff were extremely friendly and the breakfast was excellent as is the bar. Didnt use use the restaurant for evening meal or the leisure facilities due to pressure of time but to find a hotel in London for the price we paid which also has a leisure centre is pretty remarkable.

I'd definitely go again and I'd explore the area a bit more and have a look at buses and taxis because I might be being a bit unfair on describing it as remote. Happy to be corrected if anyone knows better.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davidwilliams58
Reviewed 8 March 2012

The hoteL was fine, but the restuarant let it down for us on this stay. The ice cream wa full of ice, my friend had a pastry pudding and sent it back as wasn't cooked, but they didn't seem that bothered. Service was very slow and it wasn't filed to a high capacity that night.

The hotel was ok, the bedroom was ok apart from bathroom was looking a bit tired with warn Lino on floor.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I was upgraded and had a room in the hotel 'proper'.

The room numbering is somewhat strange and it took me 4-5 longer than it should have to find my room.

The cost of the room was around £100 but its not always possible to get a double that cheap.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2012

After reading the very mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, I was relieved to find I need not have worried. I booked this hotel through Laterooms Secret Hotels , so had taken pot luck. The room was clean and warm, plenty of hot water, the missing hairdryer was promptly replaced after speaking with one of the very pleasant reception staff. The room was quiet so we had a good nights sleep. ( I always think the quietness of the room depends on the courtesy of the other guests) We had paid in advance for breakfast but reception seemed not to have a record of this, fortunately I had the print out of my reservation clearly showing breakfast was included. All the reception staff we encountered were most helpful. Breakfast is very good, a good choice of fresh fruit, cereals,and full English, no decaf tea, but I took my own. I paid a bargain price with which I was satisfied as fair value for money in London, however the full price in my opinion would have made this hotel overpriced. As we only stayed two nights we didn't have time to use the pool facilities though we did have a look and it seemed to be well kept and clean. Old St. tube station is a 10 minute walk, turn left out of the hotel then right at the pub, past the park, then left at the church, past the Co-op, and the tube is a little way along.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple