“A good stay by 3 couples - would return!”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #116 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Great hotel, very impressive decor.fittings and layout, lives up to its' ratings. Hugely helpful & attentive staff - even posted on articles left in room. Good meals (breakfast especially & lunch).
Great location next to Embankement (opposite The Eye), nearby Changing the Guard ceremony and mainline & tube stations; easily walkable to Strand, Trafalgar Sq and Theatreland.
Only 1 gripe - one of the Exec standard rooms (we had 3) had small wardrobe, unsuitable to hang more that a couple of short items. Otherwise, other 2 rooms would have rated overall Excellent rating
However, will return any other time we can get a bit of a deal on price!

Room Tip: 5th floor on river side needed to see over trees, and corner rooms largest but nearer Charing X stn...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Thank you for your great feedback its always such a pleasure to read such wonderful comments. I could not agree with you more, we are located in a fantastic part of London with all the great sights so nearby.

I'm sorry to read that one of your rooms did not have enough long hanging wardrobe space, I hope this was not too frustrating for you. But overall I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Please keep checking our web page, as we regularly offer different promotional rates, and then we will be able to see you again soon!

Operations Managers

Reviewed 15 September 2012

I recently stayed here 3rd & 4th of September on my own to see the sights of London. To begin with, the location of the hotel cannot be faulted, it is less than a five minute walk to Embankment Station and embedded in a beautiful area of London, particularly major sights. I did a major portion of my touring on foot.

The Hotel is lovely and I found all staff so helpful, courteous and wonderful to liaise with. I stayed in a Double Deluxe room on the seventh floor with a gorgeous view of the London Eye, even more impressive at night! The room was perfect, beautifully decorated and the bed was extremely comfortable - perfect after a day sightseeing!

I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a place which is conveniently situated and managed well. I personally could not find a fault, a very positive experience overall.

Room Tip: Seventh floor overlooking the river gives a perfect view of the London Eye
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2012

Thank you for your excellent comments, and most importantly that you would recommend us and choose to stay again with us.

I am pleased that you found the hotel lovely and all that staff helpful and friendly. It is great to hear that your room offered all the comfort you needed after a busy day sightseeing. It sounds like you were then doing some night seeing from your room, enjoying the landscape of London all light up at night. What a wonderful way to finish an action packed day.

As you say, we are perfectly located for sighting seeing in London. We are located next to so many of the sights but if you still need more, the tube is a few minutes away giving you access to an unlimited sighting seeing options.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

The rate was a Springtime offer and so I decided to go for it.

To be honest, the man in top hat and tails opening the front door isn't usually my style of hotel so I felt a little outside my comfort zone, but it is a welcoming place that is superbly located for wandering London yet is on a quiet street.

The room had a good view over London's roof-tops and was very nicely done out and even had a TV screen in the shower!

For me it didn't quite have that extra bit "oomph" for me to rate it 5/5, but it is comfortably 4/5 and was overall a very pleasant experience.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

It is great to hear that you were able to take advantage of one of our promotional rates that we have available throughout the year.

As you say our location is superb, right in the centre of London while having the advantage of being located on a quiet street so peace and rest can be on the agenda. I am pleased that you found the hotel welcoming and the rooms comfortable. I love the view over the roof tops of London, as it helps make you realise where you are.

I am pleased you had a good stay and very pleasant experience, I hope the next time you visit you will award us 5/5!!!

Reviewed 15 September 2012

All i wanted was a good nights sleep ready for a busy work conference the next day. The TV from the room next door was so loud i could hear it clearly 'til it was turned off about midnight. I appreciate that is perhaps not the hotels fault that my neighbours were hard of hearing. However, come 4am deliveries started outside the front of the hotel, which my room on the 1st floor overlooked. Crates and boxes were banged and doors/shutters were slammed whilst the delivery men chatted loudly. It went on sporadically until about 6.30 when i had to be up anyway. My welcome at reception when i arrived was quite frosty, having just stayed in a much cheaper hotel abroad where the staff were delightful, the contrast was stark. Also when i checked out the receptionist was professional but cold and abrupt and i didn't get chance to mention my concerns re the noise, and wasn't asked if i had had an enjoyable stay. Location is convenient, but the room was extremely dark and masculine in its decor, not appealing or warm and inviting at all.

Room Tip: Definitely NOT on the 1st floor at the front
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

May I thank you for taking the time to write your recent review.

I am sorry to learn that you did not receive a peaceful nights rest with us. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by the noise issues encountered with the guests in the room next door to you plus early morning deliveries.

May I also apologise for the frosty interaction you received from the Reception team when checking in and out of the hotel. I have spoken at length with my Reception Manager with regards to this, and he also wishes for his apologies to be linked with mine. That is certainly not the first impression that you should have been met with and the necessary re-training is occurring to correct this straight away. My biggest regret is that we did not ask you about your stay on departure, as this would have given us the opportunity to discuss your feedback with you in person. Please accept my personal apology for this not occurring.

We would, of course, like to have the opportunity to welcome you back with us. If you do so wish to return, then please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly.

King regards,

Reviewed 14 September 2012

We stayed at The Royal Horseguards as part of a large party to celebrate the birthday of a relative.

The doormen and concierge staff were very welcoming, the interior reception area impressive - though lacked directional signage.

On arrival at reception, my partner and I discovered we were the first of the party to arrive but were greeted by a member of staff who seemed perturbed by the fact that a double room had been booked for us instead of a twin. (We are both female). It wasn't the welcome we had hoped for.

After us explaining that we 'really' had booked a double she kept disappearing, (I assume - to clarify the situation with a colleague). When she eventually conceded, she proceeded to check us in only to discover that the room was not ready.

When we eventually got into our room (an hour or so later). We were disappointed by its size and how basic it was. We had stayed in another London hotel the night prior for a fraction of the cost, with rooms of a much higher standard and in comparison.

Although the location is very good, breakfast was an average 'buffet style' affair, and the bar, although very pleasant was overpriced.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank foodyfreda

Thank you for your comments.

I am delighted that you received a warm welcome from our concierge team upon arrival.

I am however concerned to learn that you did not receive the warmest of welcomes from our Reception Team. This should not have been the case and I can assure you corrective training is taking place to address this issue. I am sorry that you were made to feel uncomfortable regarding your request for a double bed. The Front Office Manager has reviewed with the receptionist how she handled your request, to ensure no future guest is made to feel this way. I am also sorry to learn that your room was not to your liking either.

With regards to breakfast, I do believe that there is ample choice via our generous hot and cold buffet, and we do receive many compliments regarding the selection available. I was disappointed to hear that you felt the prices in our Equus Bar were high. When we implement any menu within in the hotel, we do carry extensive competitor analysis of other 5 star establishments within the local area to ensure we are in the same price band.