“Most Child Unfriendly Hotel Ever”
Review of K West Hotel & Spa

K West Hotel & Spa
Ranked #262 of 1,068 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dunfermline, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Most Child Unfriendly Hotel Ever”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Never been so disappointed in a hotel. Was booked into this hotel by a production company for a tv show.The hotel had alot of children in it due to the show that we were in, and never have I been in a hotel that was so child unfriendly. One child not in our group was sat in reception with his parents and opened a packet of sweets which he put on the table in front of us and was advised by staff that he was not allowed to eat them and could he leave the area, he was 8 years old. Our children went upstairs to the restaurant to eat as they had to be in bed by 10pm as per the child protection that were assigned to look after them. They ordered their food at 9pm and were still waiting for it at 11.15 when every other table of adults had been served. The excuse was it was what came out the kitchen, yet what came out of the kitchen was the same food the children had ordered but was given to tables of adults as they were complaining. I ordered a sandwich in the afternoon after 45 minutes asked when it would be arriving and was advised it had been given to someone else. I was fed up of hearing sorry. I run a customer service business and was totally stunned by the lack of customer service in this hotel. The staff are probably the most unfriendly people I have ever met. Our group was part of the same show a couple of years ago and we stayed at the Village in Maidstone, the hotel could not have been more accommodating to both the adults and the children which made their experience even more rememorable. If these hotels dont want children in them then they should not accept the large sums of money they take for the block bookings. Absolutely disgusted by the whole experience of this hotel and advised the production company involved. Someone needs to take the staff of this hotel and give them some basic training on manners, customer service, and the qualities that are required to work in this industry.
One final thought, we had spent £60 on a display of balloons wishing our children good luck for the event in the evening. We brought the balloons to reception at 7am to show the older children them before they left for the studio. We asked at reception if we could leave the balloons in the breakfast area till the younger children came down, then they would take them to the studio with them, he staff advised that would be ok. The younger children came down at 7.45 and the balloons were gone. We asked at reception again were they had gone and were advised that housekeeping had taken them away and destroyed them as they dont allow things like that to be left. No apology no nothing just a shrug of the shoulders, just about sums up the staff.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank deerob57
K_West_Hotel_Spa, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
I am so very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and that you found the hotel to not be child friendly. We absolutely welcome children to the hotel and certainly do not discriminate against them as is your suggestion. We had not been made aware that so many children would be part of the group, but it would have made no difference to us other than we would have prepared a children’s menu for the group and possibly pre booked any evening meals as required to save on the delay that happened when everyone arrived together in the restaurant, which I am really sorry for. I would like to clarify that it was not the bag of sweets we objected to, it was the bags of Macdonalds and pizzas that were brought into the hotel and being eaten in our K Lounge as only food and beverage bought on the premises can be consumed on the premises. You are right that we disposed of the balloons, but they had been left in the lobby for almost 4 hours, as the Duty Manager on Sunday explained along with his apologies. However, I take on board your feedback and your feelings regarding your stay, and am genuinely sorry that we did not meet your expectations and that your stay was spoilt. With apologies once more and kind regards...
Hilary Cross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2012

After some not-so-good visits to this hotel, I was persuaded back by the efforts of the hotel manager. The room I was in (408) was lovely and the hotel had listened to the feedback from Trip Advisor. It was the thoughtful attention to detail that really stood out - thank you for the full length mirror, of such minor things are good hotel stays made. My room was warm, comfortable, clean and well-equipped and the service I received throughout my stay was excellent. Now K-West has shown how good they can be, I would definitely stay at this hotel again. I may even indulge in some spa treatments next time.

Room Tip: Room 408 is the best room I've stayed in at the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Tiggertigger
Thank you so much for your gracious review. I’m pleased to hear that during your stay we ticked all the boxes and changed your opinion of the hotel and the service we provide. I would certainly recommend a treatment with one of our lovely therapists next time you visit, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
UK
Reviewed 3 March 2012

My partner booked this hotel purely for the Spa...as i am pregnant therefore booked the mother-to-be spa massage treatment.
On check-in the receptionist was not as welcoming..being a hotel receptionist myself, nothing was explained to us...Would of understood if he was busy.
Anyway we stayed in a Junior Suite, the room was spacious, bed was comfortable but the room had an awful damp smell!
We came back to the hotel late and spoke to the night receptionist from our room whether we could order breakfast in the room for the morning..apparently it was already too late to place an order but he would double check and get back to us. We never did get that call back!
Invited 2 friends over for dinner to try out the resturant and what a mistake that was! We had to wait at least 1hr 30mins for our food to arrive...being pregnant and all, i was not happy and the only thing the waiter could offer us was complimentary water! Better dine elsewhere as the food wasnt that great neither, for the price they charge anyway!

Overall the stay was ok...the only thing i enjoyed was the Spa treatment + my partner enjoyed his time in the gym, swimming pool and sauna. Would not reccommend anyone to stay here or dine, service is poor and if your paying nearly £300 like we did it really isnt worth it!. But do try out the spa facilities...

1 Thank MadzJun S
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments from your stay here with us at K West, however I am disappointed and sorry to hear that you did not find the staff at K West to be welcoming, as we are often praised on the genuine and friendly service at the hotel. I’m pleased to hear that you found our beds spacious and beds comfortable, but sorry that you felt the room smelt damp. It’s great to hear that you and your partner enjoyed your spa experience and were able to make use of our newly recently refurbished spa facilities, but again I apologize for the long wait with your food order at dinner. I understand that you would not recommend anyone to stay here, but do hope that you will give us another chance to show you our usual high standard of service. By way of apology we would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade and a discount on your next food bill so please do consider this and contact me directly to discuss or oversee your next stay
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We needed somewhere comfortable for one night in Shepherds Bush and this hotel fitted the bill perfectly. We booked through Late Rooms so there was a significant discount - at full cost this would have been way beyond our budget, but we were immediately upgraded on arrival so had a large, comfortable room with a huge bed and a desk.....if only I'd brought some work to do! We looked out on a brick wall but as we were only there to sleep, it didn't matter. The room was clean and everything worked. It was a bit noisy at night, with inebriated guests shrieking and arguing in the corridor outside, and a car alarm went off in the carpark just below us but such is hotel life! We eschewed the water in the room (£2 a bottle! Come on!) and the breakfast as it was pricey, but the staff were extremely friendly and we made use of the instant checkout facility when we left which saved hanging around. Would stay here again but only at half price.

3 Thank BarnacleBelle
K_West_Hotel_Spa, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Thank you for your review. I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel. In regards to the price of breakfast, I’m sorry you found it expensive. Continental breakfast is £8.50 per person which we reduced to be the best value within our competitors. I’m pleased though that you found our staff to be very friendly, and that you were able to check out quickly with our instant checkout facility. We hope to see you back at K West soon!
Wakefield
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Myself and my partner stayed at this hotel on Friday 17th February. We attended a gig at the Shepherds Bush Empire.

The hotel is modern, it was clean. The bedroom was a good size with a huge bed, sofa and desk. In essence the hotel is everything you would expect from a city hotel and I have no complaints in terms of the room.

However, the bar is very expensive and a compete rip off. When asking for a vodka and tonic - we were told that they have a policy of only serving doubles after 11pm, but they serve doubles regardless of the time or what you ask for and charge you for them. This and a liquer coffee came in at just over £17 - yes that's right £17! They also charged a service charge even though the bar was busy and there was no table service. I would say that the bar was understaffed given that it was busy.

I got the impression that the hotel is used by nonresidents on a weekend as a bar. They had a DJ on the night we stayed - this was ok but I could imagine it would not suit everyone.

We didn't use the spa. We would have used the gym apart from it costs £10 per person per day for the privilege.

K West didn't leave me eager to return - it left me feeling slightly ripped off.

1 Thank Misty274
K_West_Hotel_Spa, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased to hear that the hotel and room was to your taste. However I’m sorry that you left feeling that we did not offer good value for money and that we were expensive. Regarding the measures served in the bar after 11pm, yes it is our policy to serve doubles, as is usual in the majority of London hotels and is stated on our bar menu, however, you can request a single. I understand elements of your stay left you feeling disappointed but hope you will give us another chance and hope to welcome you back soon. Kind Regards,