“norwich to bath 27/4/12” 5 of 5 bubbles

Belmond Northern Belle
Ranked #35 of 656 Tours in London
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Evoking the opulent "Belles" of the 1930s, this luxurious yet intimate train explores Britain's most beautiful countryside. The superb on-board cuisine is created using locally sourced specialities, all paired with fine wines and Champagnes. The wide variety of day trips includes visits to destinations such as Edinburgh, Bath and the Lake District, and events including Ladies' Day at Ascot and the Chelsea Flower Show. Departures from more than 65 stations around the UK.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift
Norwich, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“norwich to bath 27/4/12”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Wow-what a day!
From the offset,we were treated amazingly by our carriage attendants, Paul and Rosie.They welcomed us onboard and just couldnt do enough to make our day soo very special.
The carriage "Duart" was beautifully presented and soo comfortable.
As for the food-I just dont know how such amazing dishes are produced for 260+ guests on a moving train-the kitchen staff probably dont get recognised enough by the passengers as we only see the up front staff but, they soo deserve a mention.
From brunch to dinner,the quality of the food was amazing.
Unfortunately,the only blip for this trip was the guided tour of Bath.We were left in pouring rain waiting for coaches When they arrived there was a farse of filling the coaches.Our guide seemed to have no idea of what seats were available on her coach and people were directed off and on the coach in pouring rain conditions.
I have visited Bath before and taken guided tours and frankly this one left something to be desired.
However that negative was soo outwayed on our return to the train station.
It was a delight to see our train pull in at Bath station for our return journey with all of the tables set for dinner-the silver sparkled and it just looked soo special.
Our return journey met every expectations-Once again we were served the most fabulous food by our amazing staff.
If you ever want to soo treat yourself then I cannot recomend a trip on this train more.
Im sure that all of the staff that we didnt meet are amazing but I just have to give a special mention to Paul and Rosie who are a credit to this company.

Visited April 2012

Northumberland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Expected better service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I travelled on the Northern Belle from Newcastle in February with my husband a two friends and after raving about the British Pullman last year I was a little disappointed this time. The train its self was wonderful and the food was great but nowhere near as first class as the British pullman (although to be fair it didn't cost anywhere near as much).

I think the main difference was the staff, they seemed to be a bit younger and inexperienced. We ordered another bottle of red wine and when it was brought to the table the waiter had topped up my glass before I could stop him even though it was a completely different wine, when I pointed this out his reply was just "oops shall I get rid of it" rather than replace it.

The musicians onboard we great and highly entertaining but I felt the magician was a little tacky and not what I (or any of the other guests around us) were expecting from the Orient Express! I don't think he went down too well.

Overall we had a lovely afternoon in a beautiful carriage, with great food but feel the service could be on par with that of the British Pullman to make it truly exeptional!

Visited February 2012
3 Thank KNorthumberland7
Yorkshire
178 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 453 helpful votes
“Great night out with work colleagues”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I was fortunate enough to be able to have dinner on the Northern Belle whilst attending our annual business conference. We travelled from London to Banbury and return.

The train was a little late arriving at Marylebone station but once on board this was long forgotten. The train is beautifully decorated with very comfortable seating and well set out tables. Its probably not ideal for a large group as you can only speak to a limited number of people but in most cases this won't be an issue.

We had an excellent meal and gtreat wines to match. The quality of all the dishes was high and the standard of service was first class.

Having been on a trip where I wasn't paying I would happily do it again and pay myself!

Overall a great evening.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Neale1810
hornchurch
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“A TRULY WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

We travelled from Manchester for a lunch the day before Mother's day to celebrate our parents 60th wedding anniversary. From the moment you step into the luxury 1930's coach you get the feeling of something special. From the first sip of champagne to the last sip if tea or coffee, the atmosphere is unbelievable. Everybody who works on the carriages is smart, friendly, helpful and professional. At the end of the trip, all staff get off the train to say goodbye, and at this point you feel you have been friends for years. This is my 2nd trip in 5 years and I cannot wait for the next. thoroughly recommended.

Visited March 2012
3 Thank tony c
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Experience of a lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

We recently went on the Northern Belle from Glasgow for the valentines lunch. We did not go for valentine's day but to celebrate a 75th birthday with a group of 24 women of various ages. What can I say, every single moment from stepping onto the train until we stepped off was utterly fantastic. I cannot think of a single thing to give a negative comment. Service first class, food first class, entertainment first class. You really get what you pay for and I personally want to thank the staff for a truly unforgettable day.

Visited February 2012