Carlos' apartment is clean, comfortable and well furnished and you will find all kitchen equipment you need. It is very well located a block from the underground (Aldgate East) or just a 5 minute walk to Liverpool street (one of London’s main train & underground stations), half-block from bus stop, near the center of London, with at least three Tesco supermarkets close by and numerous (Indian) restaurants in the neighbourhood. We loved the location and always felt perfectly secure. There was some noise in the evenings, but by city standards and from prior London experiences, not bad at all. The owner, Carlos is very easy to deal with, very trusting and helpful. Summing up, good price, good place, well location, and great host. We can absolutely recommend this accommodation and would choose it again for our next London trip.
This was a great apartment in a really interesting vibrant part of London with few apparent tourists (which is what I like). Carlos was a very friendly and accommodating host who greeted me when I first arrived. Very close to local tube station into central London and surrounded by lots of good Indian and Bangladeshi restaurants as well as the Brick Lane market on Sundays. Apartment was very comfortable with everything you need (and good wi fi). Would recommend this if you want to stay in East End of London. There is some street noise as other reviewers have mentioned but this is not a real issue unless you are sensitive to noise.
This review is past due!
I traveled to London as a promised trip to my then 16 year old daughter. Although getting to London was a pain, constant delays from Canada (15 hrs). I worried about inconveniencing Carlos with all the delays. We finally arrived at 4 in the morning, with the commute to the apartment, we arrived about 6:30 am, he was waiting for us.
A quick nap...and time adjustment, we were able to familiarize ourselves with the area. (I familiarized myself with the area, buses, tubes, etc. beforehand, of course I would... I'm traveling alone with my daughter! :) )
I will say that the location was awesome! Close to grocery store, Starbucks, buses, tubes... it was great! It felt like home away from home!
Carlos was easy to contact and always available. One day our key didn't work, I think with all our travels and it being in my bag, the magnet on the key was lost. Anyway, we did not have a cell phone in the UK but was able to email him from downstairs (outside) via the wi-fi in the apartment. We didn't have to wait very long before he was able to give us spare keys even though he was on the other side of the city.
I will agree that some nights, it was noisy! It didn't bother us, we actually found it amusing, well the people. :) We were there for 9 nights on vacation/sightseeing and we weren't going to let a couple nights of noise bother us.
We stayed here in June 2012, what brought me here again after all this time? My other daughter is turning 16 this year and planning another trip in 2015 and want to book in advance. :)
p.s. Had I known he would have every map available in the flat, I wouldn't have printed them all :D
|Check-in / front desk||Service|
A very cosy little flat in a good location. Just hop on a 25 bus or the tube and you are in the West End in a few minutes.
|Check-in / front desk||Service|
We stayed a total of 10 nights for just the first stop of a long vacation.
Flat is a nice location. Close to Tube and Bus stop. It was wonderful having a flat over the high prices of a hotel and we used the kitchen at least twice a day to save on meal cost. The owner was very nice. We felt safe here because the block is gated. You need to key to get into the gated block and to get into the building your flat is in.. and the flat is on the 3rd floor and down the hall a bit so we felt comfortable with the safety. The flat is small but it was perfect size for two of us and we only were mainly there to sleep and eat a meal or two. Bathroom was fine it had what you needed though it was very narrow in the shower. If you're staying for a 2-3 days it works.
1. Had a hard time reaching the owner when we arrived. The number given to us by tripadvisor in our contract didn't work. We tried buzzing in as instructed by the owner but it said "no one was available in apt 5". After being outside in the cold and rain for 20min we finally found another number that but at the bottom of an email from the owner (our US phones don't work internationally) but we happened to have my work international phone to make the call. The owner answered and came down to meet us. So make sure you have a working phone and the correct number to call when you arrive because the call system out front didn't work for us.
2. Since we were on such a long vacation we purposely chose a flat that had a washer and dryer so we could wash clothes before our next stop. Unfortunately when we arrived at the flat we were told the dryer wasn't working (no drying rack was in the flat either). This of course became a big problem for us. Especially (for instance) when we were only given 1 towel each for 10 nights with no way to wash and dry them quickly.
3. During the day the noise level wasn't bad but at night it was very loud. The strange thing was the bedroom windows seemed to allow much more noise in then the living/dining room windows did. This became a problem on several nights hearing peoples conversations (word for word) on the street three floors below us. There was a fan in the room and we had to turn it on every night just to help drown out the noise. The neighbor in number 4 liked to play very loud music and sometimes started at 7am even on a Saturday.
4. The bed is in need of a face lift. The mattress was terrible. The bed is up against a wall so the side that you would get out of is so warn down we felt like we were sleeping at an angle every night. The frame creaks terribly and we thought for sure it would break on us at any moment. Needless to say after our second night there we were taking pain pills for back pain every morning. Also the bedding seems so warn out and questionable. It just needs to be changed, all of it.
5. The couch looks nice at a distance but as soon as we sat down we could feel the frame in it. The seems are coming apart too. After such a long day of walking around the city it was not relaxing to come back and sit on that's for sure.
6. Also the trip the separates the wood floor in the living space from the kitchen flooring was sharp and caught on our slippers many times ripping holes in them.
7. Again at first glance the place seems nice but after looking around and getting comfortable it really needs some de-cluttering, some fresher items, even the curtains are all sun damaged and old/dusty looking.
8. Things kitchen wise had food items stuck to them and water stains. We washed everything before we used it.
9. There were old food items and empty container left in the cabinets. It just needed to be cleaned out.
Would be stay here again? If some things were changed/updated, then yes. Most of our complaints are things that can be fixed. If the place stays as is, then No. We would definitely pay more for a better mattress and couch, hands down. The best thing about the place is the location in zone 1 and being close to the Tube and Bus is great. Plus the gated safety. Based on those things we give it a 5 out of 10.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|