“Good deal”

The Nadler Kensington
Ranked #64 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We stayed 2 nights in a double room at base2stay after visiting relatives near London.

The room was as shown in the web site pictures. It is small even by London standards but the price was excellent. Since we did not spend much time in the room, the size was not a problem. Note that the double bed is double mattress over twin box spings. The mattress is quite thick so this was not a problem for us.

The room was extremely clean. The compact kitchen was well equipped and the service staff washes any dishes left in the sink. An electric kettle is supplied and as is instant coffee. A hairdryer is also supplied.

The front desk staff was very friendly and accomodating. We had arrived several hours before check in and they willingly agreed to let us drop off our bags. When we returned to complete check in, the bags had been placed in our room.

The Earl's Court tube stop located 1 block west of the hotel on Earl's Court Road. There are numerous pubs and restaurants on Earl's Court Road including a Starbucks. The hotel does not have a coffee shop. The hotel has discount coupons for several restaurants in the area.

The area around the hotel is quiet with very little traffic. The hotel does have a lift (elevator).

The hotel is definately not posh. However, it is a good deal by London standards and is a great choice as a place to sleep while enjoying a great city.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Moses1Detroit

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I thought Base2Stay was a charming hotel which offered exactly what I expected after reading several reviews and doing my own research. As someone said below, the plumbing can be a little noisy from the rooms above (I was in G7 on the ground floor backing to the mews) but I think that had more to do with my jet lag than anything. I was waking up at odd hours as I was still on east coast U.S. time. Any other time I don't think I would have heard it. As for the bathroom, I did have a little difficulty working the shower as it is not like most U.S. showers where you turn on the taps to adjust the warmth then turn on the shower. In this room you had to turn on the water and the shower just came on. Another thing, my bathroom floor was extremely, extremely cold. I guess with it being on the ground floor and during the recent cold snap, this was to be expected. Radiant floor heat would have been nice, however, I did enjoy having a heated towel rack so it sort of made up for it. I loved having the little kitchenette. A couple of times I picked up things from down the road (Waitrose and a little Marks & Spenser food store is not far and Harrod's food hall is amazing for a easy meal to warm in the microwave) The maids (Zsuzanna & Kate) who cleaned the room left notes of thanks each day and were very pleasant in the halls. In fact, the ladies at the front desk were extra friendly and made check-in quick and delightful. The men did not seem as cordial, but that may have just been their nature. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay again. I am a Hilton Diamond member (so I have stayed in a lot of hotels) and I liked my experience at Base2Stay much better. No amount of over-priced hotel restaurants, room service, and pools can beat the value and experience of Base2Stay. Just don't come to this hotel looking for a Waldorf-Astoria kind of experience; come with a open mind and an independent, can-do attitude and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Antoinette15
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My daughter & I travelled with family who chose this hotel because it offered decent rooms at good prices with the added bonus of a mini kitchenette where breakfast could be prepared. This is definitely a no frills hotel, the rooms are the size & layout of college dorm rooms, there is no concierge or bellboy to assist you, no on-site restaurant and there are stairs you will have to navigate on your own while carting luggage. They also only supplied two rolls of toilet paper and a mini package of Kleenex during our stay, we ran out of both. I suppose we could have advised the front desk but seriously, housekeeping should just be aware of this. One odd thing did happen during our stay. On our second to last evening our room had been entered and our twin beds pushed together. There was no reason for anyone to have entered our room as turn down service is not an option and our room had been made up earlier in the day. Just a little creepy. There are plusses though, the first being the cost, much less than other London hotels. The hotel is located in a very nice neighborhood of residences with the Earls Court tube station and many restaurants just a short 5 minute stroll away. The beds are comfy, the towels & linen of good quality, although they do employ a green philosophy our sheets were not changed once during our 5 night stay. This we know because my daughter had a spill on her sheet the very first day and it remained for the duration of our stay. Plenty of hot water, free wireless internet, and the little kitchenette was very handy. Overall you do get what you pay for. I would recommend for folks who are looking for a decent place to stay while on a fixed budget, however I personally would not return.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank barriefolks
Amie_Conway, Manager at The Nadler Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Dear barriefolks,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and services. I’m sorry your experience wasn’t as you, or we would expect. I would like to apologise for what seems like a series of uncharacteristic service lapses, particularly in housekeeping, which I will immediately investigate. Housekeeping should be alert to replacing toiletries, and our green policy on linen is to change these every third day. The bed position change you noted on the third day seems to indicate linen was changed, but if it wasn’t, I apologise again. I am also sorry if you were not offered assistance with your luggage, as our staff are trained to do, as well as providing a full concierge service.

If you would care to e-mail me on amie@base2stay.com, I would welcome the opportunity to go over these issues with you as we always aim to learn and improve from our errors.

Thank you for providing us with your feedback and I hope you will contact me if you would like to stay again and give us an opportunity to change your views of our service standards.

Yours faithfully,

Amie Conway
Acting General Manager

Reviewed 19 February 2012

I really love staying at this hotel! I have stayed here about four times and wouldn't really consider staying else where. The rooms are very comfortable and have kitchenettes with microwaves and crockery etc, a great music collection, modern bathrooms and very comfortable beds. They have set out to be the best combination of budget and boutique and I think they have succeeded.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Amanda G
Reviewed 19 February 2012

The hotel offered a Valentine's deal. Which meant you got champagne, bellini mix, a vase of flowers, chocolates, late check out and "Breakfast in Bed". Which actually meant a package of croissants, some cereal, milk, yogurt and a couple of juice boxes. Everything was great but for the breakfast bit. That was the biggest disappointment. I get that TECHNICALLY it did mean you COULD get breakfast in bed. But when you tell someone breakfast was served in bed, you expect the trolley, the eggs done to your liking etc.

Of course on arrival at the hotel, the promotional literature tells you that there's no in house restaurant. They have discounts with various restaurants nearby. You cannot help but feel a little disappointed but at the same time, it is an affordable luxury experience. The affordable bit probably being the key word.

Good connectivity with close proximity to Earl's Court.

Room Tip: Pay more - the small rooms look tiny. There's no view to speak of.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank teaearlgreyhot
Amie_Conway, Manager at The Nadler Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Dear teaearlgreyhot,

Thank you for your review of your stay. I’m pleased that you thought most of our Valentine’s Offer was great. What the offer says on breakfast is “we’ll deliver your complimentary continental breakfast to your room in the morning” and I apologise if that was in any way misleading. The base2stay concept is a little different from most hotels and is centred on sustainability, without a bar or restaurant. I hope and believe we make this clear on our website, where we also explain the other elements that make base2stay one of the pioneers of affordable luxury.