“Decent budget hotel”

Ranked #539 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Birmingham
“Decent budget hotel”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

A decent budget hotel. Service fine, rooms well appointed and very clean, could do with heavier curtains. Breakfast was ok but the bar was a little dull. The walk from the tube is short but feels unpleasant in the dark, wouldn't be much fun with heavy luggage either.

• Stayed November 2011
SHAUN F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Dear euchrid1978,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us review of your stay here at the HIEX Royal Docklands Hotel. We really do value your comments as they show us how we are really doing and help us to improve where necessary.

I am glad that you were basically happy with the Hotel but a little surprised by the comment regarding the walk from the Tube station. The reason for my surprise is that it is just about 400 – 500 meters from the tube up a straight and well lit road. The road and the paths have been recently rebuilt which include the path and lighting all being completely replaced by the council as it is a main thoroughfare to the Olympic park. There is still a bit of work being done but I feel it is probably one of the easiest walks from a station to a Hotel in London.

I hope the walk for the station doesn’t prevent you from choosing to stay with us again upon your next visit to London.

Shaun Fitzgerald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I recent stayed at this hotel with my family in 2 rooms over 2 nights in mid January 2012. I chose it as it was on the outskirts of central London that had adequate parking. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The interior of the rooms were both basic but fine and sound proofinf through walls was fine however the corriodors echoed with noisy other guests. Our room faced the front of the building onto Silvertown Way and you could view the top of the O2 arena and the Canary Wharf buildings, however the police cars raced up and down each night we stayed there 3 or 4 times.. If I stayed here again I would need to face the back of the building away from the road. The tram and tube statioin is about 100 metres into central london. A Private hire taxi into central london will cost about £30-35. Breakfast is very basic and totally self service ( cooked-, scambled eggs, sausages and beans, cereals, toast and pastries) and all plates are quite small. Booed via laterooms at £88 a night, room rate at the hotel was £220 per night. so had good value for the money. I do not think the full £220 is worth it.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the back over looking the car park to reduce road noise.
1 Thank KTRutland
Dear kartNottingham,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such a detailed review of your stay here at the HIEX Royal Docklands Hotel. We really do value your comments as they show us how we are really doing and help us to improve where necessary.

There were a lot of positive comments about your stay that we appreciate very much, with regards to the sound of sirens running up and down the road. I’m afraid that is a part of the night time sound of most great cities in the world today. I hope this didn’t affect your stay too much and that you will definitely be choosing to stay with us again.

We look forward to your next visit with us the next time you’re in London.

Sheffield, England
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Chose this location for a 1 night stay purely for location in relation to the O2 arena and it was a good choice.

Pros
Close to DLR
Better than average free breakfast with multiple stations for each item (great for busier times) and hot options
Although bed looked uncomfortable, I actually got a good night's sleep. 2 pillow options (hard/soft) are also available
Good selection of digital channels
Reasonably powerful, height adjustable shower
Room preferences were taken into account at check in

Cons
Poor double glazing - draughty & road noise could be heard (although too busy a road so could have been worse)
Usual budget hotel thin walls
Took several phone calls to resolve booking issues:- I booked the prepaid option for 2 rooms with 3 people in total on Holiday Inn website. Subsequently my credit card was charged with the wrong amount so had to call customer services who advised that individual hotels tend to split bookings for multiple rooms to generate separate booking numbers and they had incorrectly assigned 3 people to each room, generating a £35 additional person charge on each room. In the end by the time I arrived everything was sorted out but took a number of phone calls/emails to resolve

Would definitely stay again if the price was right

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Dear Finestfur,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such a balanced review of your stay here at the HIEX Royal Docklands Hotel. We really do value your comments as they show us how we are really doing and help us to improve where necessary.

I am sorry that trying to resolve the extra person issue seemed so difficult. If I might suggest if your having any issues with your booking in the future, please don’t hesitate to ask for me and I will endeavour to resolve the issue more efficiently for you.

We look forward to you choosing to stay with us again upon your next visit to London.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We had a fantastic weekend, the hotel was very clean and bright. The staff were very helpful and welcoming.
The room was clean, modern and the bed was extremely comfortable ( particularly for me as am 8 months pregnant!)
Breakfast was delicious.
Location was very covenient, as I was visiting the o2 and the Tate, the tube was 1 minute away.

Room Tip: Great view of canary Wharf on the front
Dear vicki c,
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such a wonderful review of your stay here at the HIEX Royal Docklands Hotel. We really do value your comments as they show us how we are really doing and help us to improve where necessary.

I am very proud of my team and so please that you had a great weekend. I am particularly glad that you found the beds comfortable considering the fact that your 8 months pregnant. I wish you the very best of luck with the pregnancy.

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Thanks for Cassie, Karina and Bonnie! Great staff: very helpful. Great hotel for holiday stay. Highly recommend it for all occasions! Thank you very much

Room Tip: Excellent rooms
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
SHAUN F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Dear Jula J,

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding my team. I have passed on your appreciation.

We really look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel upon your next visit to London

General Manager.