Open today: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm

More Info
from USD 101.20
More Info
2,631 results
All reviews hockney exhibition british artists pre raphaelite henry moore turner prize francis bacon rex whistler modern art permanent collection on display great gallery national gallery art lovers special exhibition works of art beautiful building audio guide
Reviewed 5 days ago

Couldn't wait to see this exhibition and went there this Saturday. While it was a little busy and you had to be patient to see the artwork, it was visually stunning...I was so pleased I took the time to go up there. To see his work from his initial pen and ink drawings to some superb paintings, textiles and stain glass windows pieces. It was also very interesting to read the controversy he courted on occasions.

If you like Pre-Raphaelite art, it is a must. I went with my partner who didn't really know much about this subject matter, and he thoroughly enjoyed looking at the artwork, so much so I think we were in there for nearly 3 hours.

One bone of contention was colliding with people listening to the audio commentary, they didn't appear to care too much for others that were not listening. Also people just rushing about and having no consideration for those of us who had travelled up and wanted to just look at the superb pictures.

We were staying near the Tower of London and used our Oyster cards to travel up the Thames to Millbank, which was a rather lovely start to the day.

Definitely go, if like me you have been to other art galleries and been disappointed by the amount of artwork on display, you shouldn't be disappointed with this one.

Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

Whether your an art lover or just enjoy looking at pretty things this is a spectacularly relaxing way to spend half an hour and then move on to something else.

The building itself is magnificent and has recently had another upgrade so everything works well from the app tour guide on your iPhone, the cafe, stunning gourmet restaurant, the vast gift shop and places to sit and watch.

The Turner Prize and Byrne-Jones exhibitions are great, particularly the latter, but if you want to brown the permanent collections for free there is endless choice

My personal favourite is to start at the middle in the Djanogly gallery in the mid 1800’s with the spectacular pre-Raphaelites like Millais’ Ophelia and walk through 150 years in four rooms of incrementally shifting painting and arriving at Bacon’s stylish Nazi observation of figures at the base of a crucifixion 30 minutes later.

Did you know that the Tate was built on the site of Millbank Prison? Possibly the origin of the Australian name for Brits ... POMs - Prisoners of Millbank. I think that the use of acronyms post-date the prison, but it’s a good story anyway!

Reviewed 6 days ago

We had booked for the Burne-Jones exhibition and were very much looking forward to it. Our tickets were for 1pm on a Friday; at 12.30 we were walking through the rain down Marsham Street, finding our way to Tate Britain via the back streets. The approach to the entrance from this direction is a little hazardous; there are steps down from street level which are not very clear at all - I would have expected them to be edged in yellow, for in the rain the surface was slippery and the steps indistinct. We managed to avoid slipping, but were very wet when we got to the museum at 12.45.

A quick visit to the loo ensued; these are up a slope away from the entrance, and the signage is dreadful. The gents was seemingly busy but queueless; however, at the time, the majority of visitors would have used the other facilities and there were clear queues out of the door of the ladies. 'How can the Tate not have enough loos?', I wondered while waiting for my partner.

The Burne-Jones exhibition itself was very good, with some wonderful stained glass, drawings and paintings. It was, however, extremely busy, it being necessary to wait by almost every exhibit to see it properly. When we had entered I did ask if we were ok to enter at that time - it was a few minutes before one - and the lady had said it was; the only conclusion I can draw is that they sold as many tickets for 12.30 and 1pm as they could, which rather negates the whole purpose of fixed entry times. For the price I had expected to be able to view the exhibition easily, without bumping into people, or having them bump into me. (Much of the problem seemed to be people listening to the audio commentary and not looking where they were going; why don't they have times for people who want audio commentaries, and will go through at the speed that runs at, and have separate times for those, like me, who prefer to view and interpret an exhibition ourselves?)

In short, a wonderful exhibition, somewhat spoiled by the apparent greed of the Tate authorities, poorly laid out entrance area, and lack of loos.

I would also suggest that if visiting Tate Britain you don't just consider the tube stations and bus routes suggested by the Tate; we walked to and from Blackfriars, about half an hours walk via Lambeth Bridge, Lower Marsh and The Cut, and has direct trains from north of London.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I had a free afternoon before meeting friends in the evening and walked along to Tate Britain. I spent 3 hours and could have been longer. Peaceful and calm and some of Britain’s finest art work.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Oh wow - what an absolute joy this exhibition is. 7 galleries of prime offerings from this supremely talented artist. Spell-binding, breath taking - l run out of superlatives. If you have the opportunity to visit, go for it - you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank MrsAverage
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We were in London for a show on a Saturday night and had a free day on Sunday.

Having spotted that the Edward Burne-Jones Pre-Raphaelite exhibition was on (24th October 2018 - 24th February 2019) at Tate Britain, we booked tickets.

Tate Britain is located in Millbank, London SW1P 4RG. We took the tube to Westminster and took a pleasant 15 - 20 stroll past Parliament to get to the gallery.

The map app on your iPhone won’t take you to the public entrance but it will direct you to the side of the gallery - just follow to sign posts to the front door.

Whilst many great exhibits can be seen free of charge others such as the Burne-Jones exhibition have a entrance fee. It was well worth it. Rarely will you get a chance to see such a stunning Pre-Raphaelite collection.

Other current exhibitions include the Turner Prize collection until 6th January 2019 for which there is a separate charge, Art Now: Jesse Darling: The Ballad Of Saint Jerome until 24th February 2019 - Free entry and numerous other free work including the world’s largest collection of Turners work.

I can highly recommend the Burne-Jones exhibition but also the Tate Britain in general. It offers a superb setting for so much incredible work. I must admit that I hadn’t truly appreciated just how much work Turner had produced.

There’s a cloakroom where you can leave costs and bags, great cafe a beautiful restaurant and the obligatory shopping opportunity.

The gallery is fully accessible for all users.

Whilst there is no charge to enter Tate Britain or to use the cloakroom users are invited to make a donation.

Should you want to visit an exhibition with a charge, then I would recommend make an advance recommendation where possible.

If you love art or just want to top up your cultural appreciation of London put Tate Britain on your itinerary, you won’t be disappointed.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Went yesterday with a friend.

The Burne-Jones exhibition is very good and a must see for anyone interested in Pre-Raphaelite art. There are some excellent pictures, drawings and stained glass. Interestingly, Jimmy Page has lent some of his tapestries to the exhibition

The Tate Britain is worth a visit anytime and it’s worth becoming a member

Reviewed 1 week ago

This exhibition is a must for any Pre-Raphaelite groupie. As soon as you walk into the first room you will be bowled over by the beauty of art. The rooms take you through Burne -Jories history and finishes up with amazing tapestries. Not to be missed.

Reviewed 1 week ago

We went here as a family to see the Impressionists in London exhibition (which was great as I love Impressionism) but decided to have a wander around the rest of the gallery as well.
We were most amused and impressed by the living artwork of a person with a huge head moving slowly and deliberately across some cube shapes. Surprisingly mesmerising!
As the free collections change regularly, there's always something new to see here. I must admit that some of the new stuff didn't grab me at all, but interesting to look at nevertheless.

1  Thank Nikki G
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

definitely a brilliant gallery to visit in London. My first time here and I have to say that I enjoyed it very much. Amazing paintings and outstanding variety of artists. I hope I could visit every once a month.