“Don’t believe the hype”

Sanderson London Hotel
Ranked #66 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I stayed here with my wife, and we had a room on the first floor.

The lift ride was an amazing 3D holographic ride, however I unfortunately wasn’t spending the night in the lift!!

The room, while it may have once been impressive, now looked shabby and dull. Net curtains strewn across the room separate the bathroom from the bed, which is screwed to the floor at a strange angle. The Bed was ridiculously uncomfortable. I could feel the springs in the mattress and they pinged whenever you slightly moved.

We arrived back to the hotel around 12.30, and got ready for bed. There was the gentle thump thump thump from the long bar below seeping through the floor. I phoned reception and they seemed unconcerned, so I asked for two pairs of ear plugs. 10 minutes later a battered box which once contained 3 pairs of ear plugs was delivered, with two lonely, possibly used ear plugs. I contacted reception again and said I had requested two pairs. They stated that was all they had. I aksed if they often got complaints about the noise, to which they answered ‘yes’, but they had stopped handing out ear plugs. I asked what I could do, and was told the music from the bar would stop at 2.00am!!! Great!!!

Breakfast,
We ordered breakfast, we had 30 minutes to eat as we both had meetings to attend, I explained this to the waitress and we ordered. After 28 minutes our cooked breakfasts turned up, they looked delicious. I had 3 mouthfuls before having to leave!!! It was very tasty, and would have been very good if I had the time to eat some of it!!

All in all, for the money this place was terrible, the staff were either rude or unhelpful, depending upon there fancy, and you have about a 50% chance your room key will work!!

The only reason to stay would be to say you have stayed at the Sanderson, but if you state that to anyone who may have also stayed there, expect nothing but sympathy!!!

9  Thank Bailey_visits
victoriastewart, Guest Relations Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2010

We are truly sorry that so many elements of the hotel fell below your expectations on this stay, and there is no excuse for such poor service in relation to ear plugs, breakfast and general attention to detail. All concerns have been discussed with the relevant departments and we have taken the opportunity to write to you separately, we sincerely hope you will consider returning to the hotel on a future occasion so that we may redeem your initial impression and personally oversee your stay.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,919)

Reviewed 1 June 2010

I decided to try the Sanderson as a change of pace from its sister-hotel St. Martin's Lane where I've stayed on previous trips to London. The hotels are very similar in design, pricing, and room layout. The modern style of the Sanderson won't appeal to everyone- but I find it a nice change of pace.

Overall, I found the staff at the Sanderson to be very friendly, the room to be small but not necessarily cramped, and the the bed to be very comfortable.
I liked the layout of the room with the desk seated behind the bed- it gave me enough space to get some work done without impeding on space to get dressed. Wifi is an additional charge and is a little on the expensive side (~12 GBP if I recall).

The bathroom of the Sanderson is completely open and was my least favorite detail. I'd prefer not to worry about water from the shower spilling over into the rest of the bathroom. One other pet peeve- there is lots of merchandise for sale in the bathroom and there were a few moments where I wasn't sure what was complimentary and what I'd be charged for.

The Sanderson got great marks though for its attention to little details. Calling down for a wake-up call, I was asked whether I wanted coffee with my wake-up call. Sounded great. Sure enough, about 3 minutes after my call, there was a knock at the door and a carafe of coffee.

The lobby bar of the Sanderson was great for a after-work drink before dinner. Returning after dinner, it had transformed into something a little too clubby for me, but there was plenty of space in the lobby to sit and have a somewhat quiet conversation.

Location is very good if you want to be in Soho though the Sanderson sits on a fairly quiet street.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
CarolineEvans, Guest Relations Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2010

Thank you for your overall positive comments and that you particularly liked our attention to detail, it’s very important to us that our guests experience the service and attention they deserve and all feedback is welcomed as it does help us to respond to guest expectations and preferences. The hotel is a Grade II listed building which requires the basic structure, particularly the exterior, to maintain the original design, therefore there are some construction restraints. Please contact me directly if you have an opportunity to enjoy the hotel again and I would be happy to oversee your stay.

Reviewed 24 May 2010

Modern overkill. A bed in the middle of the room, bizare ripped curtains, flooding bathrooms, fuzzy flatscreen TV and phones that don't work. The staff is only helpful when it comes to getting a car or cab. The staff recommended a horrible tour group, booked the wrong tour for us, knows the location of almost nothing near the hotel and pretty stupid when offering options to get to the airport. I would only recommend this hotel to people that plan to spend some late nights at the happening Suka Bar in the lobby.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

I am so sorry to read about your experience with us, it’s very disappointing that we dropped the ball in some areas and we should have been more attentive to any room standards. Your comments have been shared with the appropriate management and I hope you will reconsider returning to stay with us, particularly to enjoy the bar. I would be pleased to personally oversee your stay if you contact me direct.

Reviewed 17 May 2010

I was really looking forward to staying at this hotel. And then I read the reviews and I thought there were just people being fussy. Let me start from the beginning.
The hotel is conveniently located, very close to Goodge street tube station (5 minutes) and only a short walk from Oxford. I don't see how some other people felt that it was very far from the tube.
The lobby is impressive and unique. Staff were friendly. The lifts are really funky and unusual. Our room key was not working, but not a huge deal. The room was very minimalistic. Shower and bathroom was more than nice, however all the item looked old (rotten sink etc).
Bed was the most uncomfortable I've ever slept in. Really hard, couldn't get to sleep (and trust me, I can sleep mostly anywhere). No coffee making facilities, which was really annoying (particularly for all the money we paid) and an Icelandic bottle of water - ironic because of the next day's potential cancellation of my flight (things need to be thought PR-wise).
Generally, I found that style was overpowering comfort. Lots of TV channels available, but everything seemed to be charged on top of, which for the money we paid, is not good enough. Everywhere in the room there were sealed things (CDs, candles etc.) that you could purchase.
Staff overall very helpful, immediately responding to our questions. Finally, the gym was really good, well equipped with everything. There was only one steam room available, which for a spa, is a bit not enough (a jacuzzi, or a sauna, would have been nice).
Overall this is one of the hotels that were funky at some point, but it now looks tired. Having said that, we really enjoyed the bar and the outdoor area. I've stayed at other morgan hotels and this is definitely the weakest of all for the money.
And finally, I find it really good that the management seems to have responded to all previous posts, but disappointing that every review has rated this hotel as average.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments, both positive and negative. Lovely to hear you enjoyed our bar and terrace, equally very sorry to hear the bedroom facilities did not live up to your expectations. At this time, we do not provide tea/coffee making facilities in the room, however we are reviewing such option plus we have a fantastic room service menu, served 24 hours a day. We do have a Morgans Hotel Group CD in the room for purchase, which can also be played without charge and we also have an extensive complimentary CD and DVD collection available. Should you decide to stay with us again, please let me know so I can ensure a more favourable experience.

Reviewed 27 April 2010

This hotel is great for a group of young people as they let you throw private parties in your room in the middle of the night and sleeps over 10 people in a standard room. The walls are very thin so it’s great if you don’t want to get any sleep.

One would hope that staying in a 5* hotel there would be a certain calibre of guests staying!!!

The room was more standard then minimalistic, with a bit of the dirty old cloth separating the bathroom and the light (that lit it up) did not work. The bed looked like it was from an IKEA advert and the bathroom had damp marks and was not practical. Especially seeing as you had to hang your clothes up in the bathroom!

Overall I felt like I had stayed in an overpriced Travelodge. I wouldn't have thought this hotel was any more than a 3*. I couldn’t wait to leave.

It does not live up to expectations of a 5* hotel!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank finewinechandeliers

I’m so sorry we were not aware of this particular instance and your experience with us was spoiled. It’s always disappointing when any resident is not more considerate to the comfort of other guests, we do not encourage parties in our rooms at night and we have 24 hour security to ensure our guests have a relaxing experience. We hope you will offer us an opportunity to prove Sanderson is a great urban escape, please contact me directly so that I can personally oversee your accommodation.