“An office block pretending to be a hotel”

Sanderson London Hotel
Ranked #66 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 April 2011

The reviews that I read about the Sanderson remind me of the story of the Emperor's New Clothes. It seems that people think if they criticise the great design of Phillipe Starck they will in some way be seen as luddites. Well luddite I am.

The hotel is a poor office block conversion, the ceilings in the corridors and rooms are so low they are oppressive. The rooms are offices that have a few lace curtains hanging from various places to try to make them look like rooms...it doesn't work, they still look like offices. The bathroom is small and poorly fitted. The lobby is an office lobby...etc...etc. On the same trip I stayed at the Connaught, if these two hotels have the same star rating questions have to be asked of those who do the rating!

There are a few saving graces; a busy bar, a nice malaysian restaurant and superb staff. However, they do not make up for the lousy state of the building. Don't be fooled, if Phillipe Starck hadn't put his name to the design everybody would see it for what it is...a poorly revamped office block.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
7  Thank FoodJunkie66
MarcelaAlmeida, Guest Relations Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2011

Dear Foodjunkie66, Thank for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience following your stay at Sanderson. I am sorry that Sanderson did not meet your expectations, in particular the architecture of the building and Philippe Starck’s design. Sanderson was built in 1958 as the Headquarters, Showroom and Design Studios for Sanderson Textiles (In 1924 Sanderson becomes the holder of a Royal Warrant as Purveyor of Wallpapers and Paints). The building itself was awarded Grade II* listing by English Heritage and when Ian Schrager and Philippe Starck redesigned Sanderson for the hotel that it is today, they were sympathetic to the original architecture and design features as stipulated by English Heritage including the John Piper designed stained glass wall in Billiard Room and Jupp-Dernbach Mayerm’s original mosaic in our lobby. Both Sanderson and English Heritage are proud of the importance the building has in terms of design and architecture, however on the hotel side it has meant that further enhancements must be approved by English Heritage and this is a lengthy process. On your next trip to London, please contact myself directly as I would love to tell share more design stories and history behind Sanderson as well as coordinating your stay.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,919)

Reviewed 14 April 2011

A nice hotel in a good position. Furnishings are modern and stylish The staff were friendly and helpful. Only downside was that housekeeping would enter the room without knocking. This happened on a few occasions. When speaking to front of house I was told that they knock "quietly". They didn't knock at all! Another hotel that doesn't offer free wi-fi in rooms. I'll be avoiding all hotels that don't offer free wi-fi. I see no reason why this isn't a standard offering.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tvlerSydney
MarcelaAlmeida, Guest Relations Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2011

Thank you for your review and we really appreciate the kind comments on our decor, location and especially our staff. It is disappointing to know your stay was disturbed by housekeeping entering your room, we do have procedures in place for entering guestroom and these will be reviewed with the Housekeeping team. At this time, we do have a charge for internet use and I sorry you feel so strongly about it that you do not feel you can return, however I hope the positive elements you highlighted will change your mind and if you do make a future reservation, please contact me directly so I may oversee your stay - we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed 4 April 2011

Everything about my stay at the Sanderson said "service with excellence". The room was spacious, the staff friendly (but not to the point where it gets annoying), the food was great, the drinks even better. What struck me the most about my stay was how aware the staff are of who is staying at the hotel. Upon stepping outside the hotel, the doorman (Alex) greeted me by name and asked if there was anything he could do for me, and how was everything in my room that I had asked for (I had some flowers sent up and some strawberries in chocolate). If everyone is greeted in the same way as I was, there simply isn't another hotel one should visit other than the Sanderson. My only gripe was the room was too hot (which I could have asked them to sort) but I thought it really didn't matter given how well I was treated. From check in to check out, my stay was amazing. Oh, and I recommend the mojitos. Fab!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
MarcelaAlmeida, Guest Relations Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2011

What an amazing review! Thank you so much for the kind words especially about Alex, our bellman. It is always a pleasure to hear when our staff exceed guest expectations. Should you have called the Front Desk about the air conditioning issue I am positive it would have been solved immediately. Please let me know next time you book as I would love to take care of you and ensure the Mojitos are waiting!

Reviewed 30 March 2011

We stayed here in March and the service we received was amazing.
We held a large VIP event in the Agua Spa and the team were so welcoming and accommodating- the spa manager even took the time to email and work on finalising arrangements during her own holiday in South Africa.
Food was brilliant - I can recommend all of the Spa food as we tried out everything!
Spa treatments were fab - all my journalists were happy and are booking repeat trips!
I can't wait to go back here as it reall does feel like home from home (only better, but don't tell my husband this!)

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
MarcelaAlmeida, Guest Relations Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2011

We introduced a new spa menu in January and it’s so lovely to read such positive feedback. Thank you so much for an incredible review, we’re delighted to hear your event at agua was such a success and hope you have a chance to enjoy another home away from home experience with us in the future – husband welcome, too! Do let me know when you book, I know that the agua team would also be delighted to see you again.

Reviewed 28 March 2011

No problems with the overall quality of the public spaces and the room. Stylish and comfortable during my 4 night stay.

My big complaint however is with the food at the long bar. i was on my own on a Monday night and just wanted a simple burger and fries and a glass of red wine. No problem Homemade burger and fries on the menu So ordered and had a glas of rioja ( only 3 red wines by the glass to choose from) and i waited. The wine tasted as if it had been in the bottle opened for about 2-3 days quickly changed to a fresh bottle without problem by the friendly staff. But the wine was not great quality I would guess 3-4 GBP per bottle retail. ( ( 8 GBP per glass!). Then comes the burger which was huge but definitely not homemade and with fries just like from McDonalds. I eat the fries and left the burger it was that bad....the sort of thing you buy in bulk a supermarket. For 18GBP this is simply not adequate. I complained and got a shrug from the staff.
the week before i was in a small Rennaissance hotel just off the highway in NJ where I got a real homemade burger with thick cut fries that was perfect and with a choice of 10 good quality red wines by the glass. All for less than half the price of the sanderson. ( I am not from the US by the way) If they can do it then a so called up market hotel should be doing better than this.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your kind comments on the public spaces, room and friendly staff, it is therefore disappointing that your complete enjoyment of the hotel was impacted by your experience at the Long Bar. Our chefs use 100% prime cut beef and all dishes, including the burgers, are created in our kitchen. We take pride in the quality of our food and drink selection and we are sorry that you did not enjoy these elements of your stay. We hope you will consider returning to stay with us and please contact me direct at that time as the Executive Chef would particularly like to welcome you back to Suka.