“Lovely little gem”
Review of Zeret Kitchen

Zeret Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Zeret Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 24,096 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Lovers of Ethiopian cuisine and adventurous foodies will appreciate this bright, clean and modern restaurant in Camberwell that prides itself on its family recipes and dedication to authentic Ethiopian traditions. Zeret itself is a name that comes from a small village in northern Ethiopia, and the menu includes mostly chicken, lamb and beef stews made with butter, garlic and ginger served on pancake-like flatbread called enjera. All the food here is delicious, and the dining room is decorated with colourful placemats, potted palms and simple white walls. Perfect for communal/sharing meals with friends and family, the Zeret Kitchen has attentive staff and a relaxed atmosphere ��� don't miss the Ethiopian style chicken cooked with green chillies, herbs and spices.
Reviewed 14 February 2017

Its a great Ethiopian restaurant. The staff are very courteous and friendly. If you visit, do not forget to try the Ethiopian Honey wine- a unique delicacy. And again- never to forget the Coffee ceremony. They do have some of the finest Ethiopian coffee beans that they roast and grind in front of you.. the aroma is pristine. Then they serve you the freshly ground coffee. Delicious. The food is great too with good sized portions. There are vegan options too and vegans will feel at home here. The non-vegetarian options are great too. Well done to the staff and management.

3  Thank DrPyariBose

Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

My sister was visiting London and had made a request to try out Ethiopian food. I went on TA for a look and Zeret came up as 6th in London so I was excited to try it out.

We booked for 6.30pm on a Saturday and arrived to an empty restaurant. However it soon filled out and by 8pm was full so do book!

The location is in Camberwell and a short bus from Elephant and Castle. Not the most exotic but easy enough to find as I used to live close by. Instructions are on the website.

We had bread to start. I liked it but it had a bit of a kick! For mains, my sister ordered the all vegetarian option and I went for beef. The menu doesn't say how the meals come, perhaps some pictures or an explanation would be useful. We didn't bother asking and to see what arrived.

The waitress warned me off the beef saying it was dry and there was a stew option but I stuck with. The meals come on a big round dish of Ethiopian bread which you use to eat with your hands. I hadn't realised this when I asked for cutlery and the waitress seemed quite offended! The food was good, but I couldn't finish it. Perhaps more of a sharing concept, think it would have worked better if I'd gone for veg with the sister.

We had a reasonable priced bottle of wine. A wine cooler would have been nice. Meal was 42 all in.

As the restaurant got busier the service really slipped, there just wasn't enough staff. We had to ask for the bill three times and waited 45 minutes to pay.

At a loss at all the amazing reviews and how this is so highly rated! It's fun for a change but I won't be going back.

2  Thank Gemma S
Reviewed 12 February 2017

We went last night for the first time, the sharing platters are amazing, with every section so full of flavours. We went with 5 of us and everyone loved it!! We ended with a coffee ceremony - they bring the roasting beans and waft the coffee smoke at you, then they bring a big bowl of popcorn, then finally bring a tray with a huge coffee jug and frankensence burning to create a really nice aroma. Lovely staff too, all very friendly and the prices were good too. Couldn't recommend enough. Book ahead as it was packed!

Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

Great Ethiopian place and I loved the vegetarian injera pancake. Honey wine was nice,really affordable. Great atmosphere and lots of options for vegans, vegetarians and meat eaters.

It's a small place so might be best to book if you're arriving after 6:30pm, as we managed to grab the last table which was lucky.

I really enjoyed this place and the staff were friendly. I'll visit again.

Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

The food is so full of colors and taste .very nice way to have it too.service attentive anf helpfull will come back soon.after travelling to carib..