“Fantastic but...”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Victoria
Description: Set between Belgravia and Knightsbridge, Petrus by Gordon Ramsay is a Michelin starred restaurant serving exceptional modern French cuisine. With a spectacular circular dining room boasting a floor-to-ceiling wine cellar at it's heart, Petrus by Gordon Ramsay offers exquisite wines from across the world, including vintages from its namesake Chateau Petrus. Open from Wednesday to Sunday, explore the restaurant's seasonal menus including A La Carte, Lunch, Kitchen Table and Prestige Menu.
Reviewed 12 January 2016 via mobile

It's hard to write a bad review about a restaurant where the food is truly exceptional both in terms of ingredients used and preparation and cooking. This is not such a review, but it is a gentle wrap on the knuckles.

The food is of course beyond reproach.

For starters I had a truly delicious steak tartare with Perigord truffles and crispy tendons my girlfriend had the crab ravioli in a light bisque. There tartare was excellent, and the crispy tendons added a lovely crunch. The ravioli was excellent also (I was allowed a small forkful)

For mains I went with pigeon and my girlfriend had lamb.

The pigeon was was perfectly cooked, one of the best, if not THE best I've had in London, and the venison looked beautiful (I didn't get the customary forkful, testament to the equality of the venison!

I had a cheeseboard to finish and a coconut parfait finished the evening off. My girlfriend is not usually a fan of coconut but apparently she is a fan of coconut done well, and this was such an occasion.

The service was the wrap on the knuckles I was alluding to earlier. We got there and a it was our anniversary we asked for a glass of champagne each. Rather than drawing our attention to a selection, or listing the options of by heart our waiter just looked at us and asked what kind, of course we had no idea what kind they served, so an awkward minute or two of us asking what they had ensued.

There was also a brief moment where attracting the sommelier's eye proved impossible, checking on every table but ours.

I know this is the epitome of nitpicking, but when I'm paying £300+ for a meal I expect the service to be impeccable.

I'll be going back though. Just hope they have pigeon again...

Date of visit: January 2016
Write a reviewReviews (4,049)

Reviewed 11 January 2016

This is my third visit and every time I cant wait to come back. From the moment of entry everything is "right" about it. The service is impeccable without being fussy or overbearing. The food is interesting and superbly cooked and presented. The tables are spaced generously enabling easy conversation without interruption.
All in all a wonderful experience yet again

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed 9 January 2016 via mobile

Took a couple of friends who love their food and were totally blown away by food and service. Our second time and the attention to detail was great! The lemon meringue dessert was outstanding!!!!!

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed 8 January 2016 via mobile

We took our friends here just before Christmas. One of them was a head chef and his wife was also a foodie! We had the most amazing meal . We went for the tasting menu with classic wine . Each course was a pleasure to the eyes and an explosion in the taste buds . The service was outstanding as ever . This was our second time here and we couldn't fault anything .

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed 7 January 2016

By far the best vegetarian meal i have ever eaten. very well done! the veg salad patch for starter was one of the best things i have ever tasted, a must for anyone!!

Date of visit: August 2015