“Average”

Price range: USD 13 - USD 25
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Fine or casual dining
Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

9 of us went to the Haven for my father in laws birthday. All in all the food was fine but my overpriced small Dover sole (£29.95) arrived over cooked and like rubber. What happened to white flaky fish. Is there a novice chef cooking there? I sent it back and after their inspection was told it wasn’t down to the cooking, but the poor quality of the fish. Apparently they were not good fish. Do you not think for nearly £30, the fish should have been tip top and not being served to customers. My first time at the Haven and whilst everyone else seemed fairly satisfied, I was hugely disappointed and I am a massive foodie. At least my spinach and broccoli were edible. Whilst we were not obviously charged for the fish, a further gesture of goodwill wouldn’t have gone amiss. I felt they didn’t really care that much as they were busy. Sorry Haven but I won’t be rushing back.

1  Thank Ann L
Julius O, Owner at Haven Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2017

I am very sorry about your experience you had last Sunday in my restaurant.
I can assure you we only buy the best quality of everything. We sell many Dover soles every week and never had a problem. I spoke to my fish supplier this morning and he pointed out that it is possible to get a very fresh Dover sole which will end up being like the one you had, it was perfectly well cooked but you will only notice that it is rubbery when you start eating, this is do with the fish and not the cooking or quality.

Please let me invite you back to my restaurant as my guest so we can reassure you that we do care.

Julius

Reviewed 15 November 2017

Another lovely family lunch at The Haven last Sunday. The restaurant was crowded with a wedding booked for that evening but Julius still found space for our table of twelve at short notice. Excellent fresh food simply but very correctly cooked and marvellous hospitality. The staff are attentive and courteous, but never overbearing. Our son’s wedding was beautifully catered by Julius at The Haven and we are looking forward to our grandson’s barmitzvah dinner there early next year.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

My Wife always reminds me of the amazing meal we had at Haven Bistro for our anniversary three years ago - so we headed back to the Haven where we were greeted by the welcoming owner Julius ( I remember his warmth and humour at Brasserie Julius in Islington in the 1980's ) offering us a delicious glass of Prosecco on arrival ! My wife ordered the grilled sea Bream with Carrots and Bok Choi and crushed Potatoes and i had grilled Lamb with Garlic Mash and Broccoli cooked to perfection ! The Wild Rock New Zealand Sauvignon was zesty and full of gooseberry flavours ! For dessert we Both treated ourselves to Eton Mess which was yummy and spectacular ! We love the Haven and have always supported the Charity Nights for Norwood Child Care and the North London Hospice ! All we can say that the Have is still as good as to when it opened nearly 17 years ago ! Bravo The Haven and Congratulations Julius for impeccable food and service !

1  Thank Watermelondreams
Reviewed 3 November 2017

My husband and I had just been to wine tasting at Stonewines opposite (a great wine shop I cannot recommend too highly) and decided on the spur of the moment to go out to eat locally. This is something we rarely do as we find most of the local restaurants somewhat mediocre, two exceptions being Chez Tonton and Ci Vediamo Li, both in New Barnet. Do go to them if you have the chance.

However, I had had a nice lunch with my friend at The Haven over the summer so we decided to give it a go.

The restaurant, which is very large indeed, was full up. Unfortunately, this made it somewhat difficult to hear what my husband was saying. At first, we had a very efficient, professional waiter who helped us with our choices. All the staff were very busy and did not seem to be solely allocated to an individual table so over the course of the evening, we were served by other members of staff.

My goats’ cheese salad was very nice, as were my husband’s prawns though he thought the plum sauce was somewhat gloopy and certainly not made from fresh.

Our aperif drinks were also very nice but when my Rioja came, it was like slight sour and fruity dishwater. Not good.

My husband found his pasta main too salty but otherwise somewhat flat taste-wise. My ribeye steak was mediocre. The texture was quite succulent but this belied a rather bland taste.

My husband had cheese instead of pudding and the selection and quality were pretty good. My pudding was fine but how much can go wrong with Môvenpick ice-cream?

Thus far, we both thought that this was an example of yet another mediocre Whetstone restaurant but this one is more pricey.

During the latter half of our meal, we were served by a seemingly amenable waiter who had an accent. My husband is notoriously bad at distinguishing accents and asked the waiter if he was Israeli. He told us that he was Turkish but that he understood why my husband had said that because there were so many Israelis in this area and indeed in this country. To my knowledge, this country only has a small Israeli population. I asked him whether he meant Jews or Israeli as Barnet has a disproportionately large percentage of Jewish people. He told me that it was the same thing and the impression he had in the 8 months he has been in England is that the Jews own the country. He encouraged us to agree with his point of view until my husband pointed out that we are two of those Jews. When my husband told the manager what the waiter had said, he told us, “Everyone has their opinion but he shouldn’t have said it.” Either the Manager is an extreme liberal who believes that freedom of speech trumps all, or he was of the same opinion. To be honest, if someone is going to think racist thoughts about a group of people to whom I belong, I would rather know. But ideally I would prefer not to be served by a racist. Full stop. We won’t be going back.

2  Thank Jacqueline580
Julius O, Owner at Haven Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Dear Jacqueline580

I was very concerned to read your recent review of my restaurant. It is never good to receive a negative review from a diner but of greater concern is you comments concerning racism. I can assure you most strongly neither my staff or myself are racists. I have built up a good reputation over many years with customers from all ethnic backgrounds and in particularly with the Jewish community. Up until now there has never been the slightest hint or accusations of racism from any of my customers.

Please contact me so that I can personally address all of your complaints.

Julius.

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

What a very nice place for drinks and with a good atmosphere. My friends and I Will be back for sure. A good selection of cocktails and a large selection of Gin.