“Hidden jewel....”

Cuisines: Greek
Neighbourhood: Victoria
Neighbourhood: Victoria
Reviewed 22 June 2012

This restaurant was a surprise find !!!! The food is just beautiful and the lamb we had just fell off the bone .It has a wonderful atmosphere, but I prefer mid week rather than week ends as its gets so busy.The service is one with a smile and very friendly and could not fault.,Toilets were spotless,which is always a plus !!! Well worth a visit......

Reviewed 5 December 2011

I've been going there for years on an off. There are few true Cypriot places in this part of London, and this always had good Cypriot dishes, fair proportions and good service. The ghastly guitarist and his horrible singalng songs used to drive me mad, but there was a homely, quirky feel to it.
I don't know if it has been taken over recently, but the decor is now bland and like any other place. The service was truly appalling, and the menu has changed out of all recognition. You can't actually get a mezze unless there are four of you. This is a greek/ cypriot restuarant and there is no mezze for two people.....go figure.
The food we did order came slowly, and we struggled to choose. You virtually had to rugby tackle a waiter to get attention. I had souvlakia, but it was measly, small and expensive.
There was some truly horrible music on the cd player, cranked to the max to the extent that we could not hear a word of what we were saying to each other. We asked twice for it to be turned down a little.
We refused to pay a service charge.
Oh, and on receiving the bill we were told it was cash only. Meaning we had to walk 50 yards to a cashpoint, to pay money for a dreadful meal. Quite why they didn't inform us of this as we sat down, I have no idea.
In all, a terrible disappointment from start to finish and I won't be returning.

1  Thank Tarifaboy
Reviewed 1 December 2011

No complaints about the food, which was tasty and decently portioned. The staff were friendly but could have been more attentive. There was entertainment in the form of a guitarist but sadly he was not particularly good and his music was more English than Greek, which took away from the ambience. They would have been better off leaving the Greek music CD on. Overall, we had a good meal in pleasant surroundings and with no real complaint. I would dine there again.

1  Thank DesiJat
Reviewed 26 November 2011

The worst dining experience ever. I dined here with my husband one Thursday evening and was wondering whether the previous reviews were actually about the Lantern Taverna. The food was inedible, burnt chicken with blood in the centre, had an awful smell, so called souflaki, nothing like what it should have tasted like. We had a couple of uninvited guests in the form of small mice crawling around our feet coupled with cockroaches running out of the kitchen. Not very pleasing to witness when you are trying to eat. Going back to the food, the so called pan fried rice that accompanied the raw chicken also had an awful smell and was cold with old used oil splattered over it all. Very disappointing and should never have been served. We walked away hungry, livid to say the least after having to pay for the experience. Should have said something there and then but didn't want to make a fuss. I kick myself now for being so polite. The least I could do is warn others not to fall into the trap as I did and not go and dine there. I would not feed this quality of food to my dogs or rats. I am sure the previous reviews were definitely about another restaurant, most certainly not this one. There was no atmosphere, we were the only ones there (I wonder why!!) that alone should have sent some signals out to us. The food was the worst I have ever tasted and paid for, and the prices were not at all reasonable, an example : a bottle of Keo beer at around £6.00. Ripp off! Would never ever go back and would urge anyone thinking of going there, go elsewhere. No atmosphere, we didn't feel welcome at all, 2 young foreign girls running the restaurant, while the men (around 6 of them) playing backgammon. Not a pretty sight. TIP: Don't go there, hold on to your money. We both, as a result, had upset stomachs the very next day and what a wasted trip up there from East London.

4  Thank sue h
Reviewed 21 February 2011

We ate at the Lantern with 4 friends on a Friday evening during a weekend visit to London (we were staying at the Ramada Ealing Hotel 10 minutes walk away). We were seated in a cheerfully decorated booth at the back of the restaurant with a good view of the live music performance. The singer/keyboard player performed a entertaining selection of songs for more than 2 hours without a break and although perhaps not X-Factor material, it was very easy listening and we often sang along quite happily. To add to the atmosphere waiting staff handed out various percussion instruments (such as maraccas and tambourines) so that guests could play along - very good fun! Dancing was also permitted.

As a group we chose the "Full Catastrophe" menu which was varied and tasty with plenty to go round, the main course in particular, served on two huge platters, was a visual feast as well as a gastronomic one. House wine (red & white) was included in the menu as was dessert and coffee so it was a very good value meal.

Perhaps not the best venue for a quiet meal but we really enjoyed the atmosphere and will certainly eat here again on our next visit to London.

1  Thank muskyBath