“Foul”

Cuisines: Greek
Neighbourhood: Victoria
Neighbourhood: Victoria
Reviewed 26 November 2011

The worst dining experience ever. I dined here with my husband one Thursday evening and was wondering whether the previous reviews were actually about the Lantern Taverna. The food was inedible, burnt chicken with blood in the centre, had an awful smell, so called souflaki, nothing like what it should have tasted like. We had a couple of uninvited guests in the form of small mice crawling around our feet coupled with cockroaches running out of the kitchen. Not very pleasing to witness when you are trying to eat. Going back to the food, the so called pan fried rice that accompanied the raw chicken also had an awful smell and was cold with old used oil splattered over it all. Very disappointing and should never have been served. We walked away hungry, livid to say the least after having to pay for the experience. Should have said something there and then but didn't want to make a fuss. I kick myself now for being so polite. The least I could do is warn others not to fall into the trap as I did and not go and dine there. I would not feed this quality of food to my dogs or rats. I am sure the previous reviews were definitely about another restaurant, most certainly not this one. There was no atmosphere, we were the only ones there (I wonder why!!) that alone should have sent some signals out to us. The food was the worst I have ever tasted and paid for, and the prices were not at all reasonable, an example : a bottle of Keo beer at around £6.00. Ripp off! Would never ever go back and would urge anyone thinking of going there, go elsewhere. No atmosphere, we didn't feel welcome at all, 2 young foreign girls running the restaurant, while the men (around 6 of them) playing backgammon. Not a pretty sight. TIP: Don't go there, hold on to your money. We both, as a result, had upset stomachs the very next day and what a wasted trip up there from East London.

4  Thank sue h

Reviewed 21 February 2011

We ate at the Lantern with 4 friends on a Friday evening during a weekend visit to London (we were staying at the Ramada Ealing Hotel 10 minutes walk away). We were seated in a cheerfully decorated booth at the back of the restaurant with a good view of the live music performance. The singer/keyboard player performed a entertaining selection of songs for more than 2 hours without a break and although perhaps not X-Factor material, it was very easy listening and we often sang along quite happily. To add to the atmosphere waiting staff handed out various percussion instruments (such as maraccas and tambourines) so that guests could play along - very good fun! Dancing was also permitted.

As a group we chose the "Full Catastrophe" menu which was varied and tasty with plenty to go round, the main course in particular, served on two huge platters, was a visual feast as well as a gastronomic one. House wine (red & white) was included in the menu as was dessert and coffee so it was a very good value meal.

Perhaps not the best venue for a quiet meal but we really enjoyed the atmosphere and will certainly eat here again on our next visit to London.

1  Thank muskyBath
Reviewed 15 July 2009

Located near Ealing Common tube, so easy to get to. This was for a celebratory night and boy was it a great choice. Very welcoming place and quite quirky with things hanging from the ceiling and a bit of a mish mash of items on walls etc. The toilets get a special mention and you may spend longer in there than usual. However, I'd spoil it if i say any more!

We went for a meze and the children tried lots of new things; including whitebait and calamari. Paper and crayons were also provided to keep them entertained.

Live musician came on with guitar at just the right time and did covers of James Taylor, Elton John etc. Good guitarist, but couldn't hear him speak between songs properly. Enjoying the wine too much maybe.

For pudding the children got a bag of sweets (parents were asked first if this was okay) . Adults also got sweets! Plus a strange swiss roll sugary thing. They then had a great time throwing beer bottle caps at a giant magnet. Staff helped them along and gave a very large trophy to the winner. Trophy had to stay there though.

Overall, food was good, but the atmosphere and the staff were brilliant and this is what made the night and would return again without hesitation. Very suprised it wasn't already reviewed on tripadvisor.

4  Thank spartacusathome