“A Disappointment!”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bloomsbury
Description: Enjoy an unforgettable meal in our Great Court Restaurant under the iconic latticed glass roof of the British Museum's Great Court. At lunchtime there are sharing boards, seasonal dishes and tempting fresh salads. Look out for our special exhibition-themed menus. Afternoon tea is a favourite - a splendid spread of sandwiches, cakes and scones and perfectly brewed teas.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This used to be a good place to eat, serving a choice of quality dishes but not anymore. Has it changed hands? I would no longer recommend eating here.

1  Thank Linda H

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Had a 3 course Groupon voucher bought as gift so we had a wander around the museum before heading up to the 3rd floor. Really spacious, unusual layout and a fantastic ceiling. We had previously booked but arrived a bit early which was no problem. Unusual to be given the normal menu as you tend to get a second rate one when using a voucher. Good choice of starters and mains which really filled us up so we asked if we could take away some cake instead of dessert (was even packed in a carry home box). Staff were really friendly and very attentive; mistake on one of the mains was sorted quickly and apologies offered. Would definitely recommend it!

1  Thank mbjb2012London
Reviewed 2 April 2018

The ideal place to pause and catch breath as you journey through the amazing treasures of the BM. Excellent variety of full meals and snacks. Best for lunch or mid afternoon snack.

1  Thank nwaf247
Reviewed 2 April 2018

My husband and I had afternoon tea at The Great Court Restaurant on Saturday afternoon. Sadly we were extremely unimpressed by the service!
We arrived at 2:50pm, had to queue for about 6 minutes to get to the “welcome desk”. We advised the lady that we had a booking for 3pm for the prosecco afternoon tea. Our daughters bought us this for our anniversary and made the booking which I had confirmation of. The lady searched on her computer for nearly 5 minutes while we stood waiting. She then said she could not find the booking but it was ok she would find us a table! ( Eastern European lady with fair hair)
She scurried off, talking to numerous people along the way. Again we waited – for over 5 minutes for her to return. Eventually she did and showed us to a table. The table was laid with a side plate each and a knife. We waited…..and waited. After 10 minutes still no one had come over to us to acknowledge our existence or ask us what we would like! I had to badger a waiter behind me at another table, ( short dark guy with a beard). He came over and said it was different waiter dealing with us and pointed over to him, ( tall young dark guy with short wavy hair). I explained that he had not even acknowledged us! Another five minutes passed by and he came over. I said we would like our tea please!
He went off and served other people, and eventually he returned with 2 cups and saucers and a pot of tea each. We were not given any milk or sugar. I called him back and asked for them and he said “ok I will bring”. Time passed by and still no milk or sugar. I then had to go up to the bar and ask the lady for milk and sugar myself and bring it to the table myself!
The tea was not boiling hot as it had been sitting around waiting for the waiter to bring it to our table and we were not at any stage offered any top up, or a pot of boiling water to top the pot up ourselves, which is what usually happens at any other afternoon tea I have had. The prosecco and sandwiches and cakes etc were eventually served, by which time the tea was cold. I gave up trying to get the waiter to come back. At no point did he or any other waiter come back and ask us if everything was ok, or offer us any form of service whatsoever.
I am extremely disappointed in the service we received yesterday, to be honest we just ate and drank quickly and left. We were not acknowledged leaving by anyone either.

3  Thank lottems10
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Booked a table, which was just as well as it was a wet day outside and the restaurant was very popular with a queue at the entrance.

We had a good table and the order was taken reasonably quickly but the speed of service was downhill from there.

The fish and chips looked good so three of us had that, but only one had a piece of lemon so we asked for some more. To its credit, the meal was delicious.

When finished, the dishes were not cleared very quickly but they were eventually and we asked for some tea - one English Breakfast and one Mint. After another long wait, we were about to cancel these and ask for our bill when they arrived, except that the Mint had become Peach. We asked for the bill twice before it arrived and, of course, the service charge is already included.

To add to the experience, I used a toilet on thr floor below and it was not pleasant - they are 20 years old and now need to be refurbished.

1  Thank Ian C